Notifications
Clear all

Scale of Star Citizen

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Ran across this video of the game scale in SC and noticed that the YouTuber mentioned that the planets bio sphere changes with the Hight and heat of a planet, which is a really nice feature and much better than having just one type of bio on a planet.

He also mentioned that you need 32 GB of ram and a fast SSD to play the game, so it 's look like it will be a few more years before I get their. 😀

Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

I have my reservations about this, I'm sure I'm not alone. One thing I want to touch on though is specs in general. Too many games these days are taxing even high end machines, this one needs 32GB RAM, Baldur's Gate 3 needs 150GB hard disk space. I get it that as we go forward games will continue to be far more resource draining, but studios would do well to pay very close attention to optimization and try to keep things reasonable. From strictly a "bean counter" point of view, (and no, I am not one), games that sit at the extremes in resource requirements automatically reduce their potential over-all sales. Of course, Star Citizen, with over 200 million USD raised in crowdfunding, could never sell a single game and still be considered a profitable endeavor. 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

SC has always being a very divisive game and it has some insane specs, god only knows what sort of graphic card you would need but at the end of the day it's the one game that set the bar and the rest follow and hopefully we will see the different bios on one planet appear in other game.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Pinback

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

This was a nice video, impressive really. Heh 3yrs ago I built a pc to play SC and now they have upped the specs again for smooth play....  maybe next year I will upgrade to 32gb, but I will be giving SC my year try in Dec so lets see how my PC does.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@sscadmin

A tip D1, head to Microtech this Friday. 😉 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @geraldine

@sscadmin

A tip D1, head to Microtech this Friday. 😉 

That CG presenter reminds of someone who used to be on Top Gear. 😀 

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@pinback

And you would be correct, it's a space Jeremy Clarkson.

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Warrant Officer Registered

"See if you can keep up" ... indeed: with your real-life money!
<rant>I'm sorry I get the hype and these events must undeniably be quite fun, but I just watched a vid about a new ship and when it came to pricing I was expecting the usual "11 000 000 credits"... Except it was 230 €! Whaaaat !? </rant> 🙂

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@d-c-elington

Yeah, the ship prices got silly, real fast.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

CG Clarkson back and he has a future Stig with him. 🤣 I only have the one ship and never felt any compulsion to buy any more.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@pinback

Ah! The Nomad. Already folk are comparing it to the Asp from Elite.

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

Posted by: @geraldine

Yeah, the ship prices got silly, real fast.

Do you know if it will be possible to acquire these models with in-game currency / effort or will they remain tied to RL money forever?

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@d-c-elington

CIG, and Chris Roberts especially, have often claimed that everything can be earned in game. Already it's possible to buy, or rent, some ships in the game with Alpha currency that can be earned, called aUEC. Also I have often loaned my ship to friends too. Still, this has not stopped many from building big fleets costing 1000s of dollars.

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

@geraldine Thanks that's good to know and certainly "feels right" 🙂

ReplyQuote