Notifications
Clear all

Rodina

Page 3 / 7

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

I think we are the tester although I think he has made it clear that the game is a very early Alpha, at least that my understanding of it.

Any luck in getting it to work CaptainKal.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Any luck in getting it to work CaptainKal.

Version 1.02 worked perfectly. I played the timed demo, and then purchased it !!!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I see some one is working on a mod to change the players ship, I like to see some landing gear added although with the bouncy landings I have ended upside down on more than one occasion or rolling down a hill.

ReplyQuote
Hot4Darmat
(@hot4darmat)
Petty Officer Registered

I picked up the game yesterday and I've played several hours of Rodina: Excellent game. Needs a bit of polishing but I realy love this little game. Great gameplay, combat, and overall feel. The writing and music are quite good. I know what I'll be doing most of this holiday season!

ReplyQuote
Hot4Darmat
(@hot4darmat)
Petty Officer Registered

I agree with the landing gear and spotlight features! Would be a huge help.

and why for pete's sake are my bullets so crazily scattered when I shoot. I kind of need that buckshot approach right now I'm so noobish at combat, but I'm guessing it gets better with weapon upgrades....

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Found the buckshot bullets a bit strange at first but I have grown to like it now reminds me of BSG.

Anyone found any of the other weapons?.

ReplyQuote
Hot4Darmat
(@hot4darmat)
Petty Officer Registered

Loads of missiles now, and a thing called ring fire I haven't shot yet. I'm thinking it has something to do with Mexican food?

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

I kind of need that buckshot approach right now I'm so noobish at combat,

Missiles are your friends!!!. A couple of them, can knock out an enemy fighter.

although with the bouncy landings I have ended upside down on more than one occasion or rolling down a hill. 

Same here. Although using the ship as a rocket powered sledge, can be fun!!!  

I had some crashes, while on planet approach/descent. And corrapted savegames. But the game is fun.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Been watching this thread on Reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/Rodina/comments/1t4gm0/first_modded_ship/ it's says that their is a Blender scrip for exporting models for use in Rodina, may have to download Blender again.

ReplyQuote
Hot4Darmat
(@hot4darmat)
Petty Officer Registered

I have been playing Rodina pretty much non stop since I purchased it. I can't stop playing this great game. I've finally 'mastered' combat and all the weapons at my disposal (missiles are indeed great fun to let fly). I finally figured out how to re-enter atmo without burning up or crashing, and get on planet surfaces. The planets and asteroids look great, as long as I'm not on the night side. I really want a flashlight or floodlights for those night landings. Good thing the ship is tough and doesn't mind a fair bit of sliding around on rough rocky slopes, lol.

The four gear clutch speed system is excellent once you get the hang of it, but flying around in liminal speed is still crazy wobbly and tough to navigate for me. I was busily collecting goodies at one site on a planet when I was suddenly visited by enemy fighters, up CLOSE. One crashed and burned right next to me, lol! Quite the surpirise. I jumped in my ship and went up to fight them off, which is easier in atmo than in space I find. I do most of my flying from the remote station in the airlock, but go forward to the bridge to check the scanner station and communications sometimes too. I save often. I mean OFTEN.

Top marks for this fantastic game.

BTW, If anyone is successful in extracting the ship in a 3D program, let me know. If the model can be shared, it would be very simple to convert into a paper model I'd be happy to share the files for this once I get it all unfolded and ready Then we could all have a real model of the scout ship atop our monitors as we explore.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

To use a well known quote "Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of  Orion" when these enemy ship blow up they sometimes fall back onto the asteroid or go into a orbit or just hang their, don't know if it was designed or just a quirk of the games gravity but it's a great touch. 😎

Some one is working on a new ship here

ReplyQuote
Styggron
(@styggron)
Master Chief Registered

I adore Rodina. Been playing the demo a fair bit about to buy the game. Great work. Looking forward to it getting better and better.

ReplyQuote
Styggron
(@styggron)
Master Chief Registered

Loving it. Just got Version 1.0.3 and I just bought the full version and the soundtrack !

LOVE this game!!!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

New version with lights will be downloading it as soon I remember what my log in was.

* Lights! The #1 most requested feature. Now you can press “G” to engage your ship’s headlights, or the player character’s flashlight, when you exploring those dark asteroids!

* Gamepad support! Technically you could always use your gamepad (like a 360 Controller) to play Rodina, but the experience wasn’t very good. Now I’ve added a gamepad remap menu, I’ve tweaked control for the gamepad to make it much easier to control, and added some other tweaks/fixes.

Now that this first update of the year is out, I am going to start moving forward with real development again. Expect to see our first official vote soon, allowing everyone who bought the game at the Bossypants tier or above to choose what I work on next!

One last thing: I hate that people need to download the entire installer to try new updates. Starting next week I’ll also be starting work on an integrated updater for the game. No telling when that will be done- just wanted you to know 🙂

And an updated

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Much better 😎

Rodina2014-01-1212-22-02-62_zps86ea4546.

Although I would still like to have some downward looking landing lights as well as in this pic of the Nostromo

800px-Nostromo_Landing_zpsd69125fb.jpg

ReplyQuote
Raptormeat
(@raptormeat)
Petty Officer Registered

Although I would still like to have some downward looking landing lights as well as in this pic of the Nostromo

800px-Nostromo_Landing_zpsd69125fb.jpg

I'm thinking about that! It was a good idea. I probably should have just done it but the update was running late and I just wanted to get it out I guess 😛

It is a good idea though. I'll keep it in mind for sure. Would be easy to mod in, actually.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Welcome to the forums Raptormeat.

Maybe with a double click on the G key, first one turns the headlights on, 2nd one turns the landing light on and a third click turns everything off.

ReplyQuote
Raptormeat
(@raptormeat)
Petty Officer Registered

Not a bad thought- I'm also partial to them coming on automatically when you've got your lights on in Docking Speed.....

Anyway thanks for keeping that Rodina torch lit in the forum for so long! I appreciate it a lot!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

First vote on what should be worked on next. http://elliptic-games.com/?p=363

First Official Vote!

January 19, 2014

The time has finally come to issue the first official Rodina vote! Everyone who is in the Bossypants tier can participate, and if you aren’t yet in the Bossypants tier, you can upgrade at any time in order to have your voice heard.

The topic of this vote is very simple: What should Brendan focus on next? All items will be addressed in time- which would you like to see first?

Nuts and Bolts

This option will have me focusing on ship simulation stuff. Fires in the engine room! Electrical grids! Life support systems! I love simulation stuff cause it can lead to emergent situations, which will be the long-term focus of the game.

This is the option I would like to start work on first, as I think the character-level gameplay needs some work, and that it doesn’t make sense to work on other features (such as hacking) until there’s more going on in the ship. I imagine the VERY first thing that will happen are fire emergencies!

Hacking

A fan favorite! This feature will eventually allow players to customize their own ship’s behavior, and someday to hack enemy ships as an offensive tactic. But until the game becomes more complex, this feature would be more of a sandbox. I favor waiting on this feature until there are some simulated elements in the ship which the hacking could manipulate, but I’m also totally happy to just dive right in and see what can be created right now!

First Aid

Choose this option if you’d prefer that I focus on Rodina’s performance and stability! Since Rodina was released about a month ago, I’ve been trying to clear up crashes and improve problems people are having. I’m pretty happy with where things are, but if you’d like a LOT more focus on this area, choose this option!

More of the Same

More weapons! More enemies! More planets! If you like Rodina the way it is and would just like to see more of it, choose this option! I can try to add some moons for a couple of the planets, and perhaps some dwarf planets in the Asteroid Belt, some new projectile types, some new enemy types with cool new behaviors.

Has to be nut and bolts no point have an interior of a ship with nothing to do in it or not being able to fix or adjust the ship systems. (hello X-Rebirth )

I like to see Rodina take a few tip from Sundog ie the shunts.

ReplyQuote
Styggron
(@styggron)
Master Chief Registered

I'm not in the relevant voting tier but I concur with Pinback. Nuts and Bolts.

Whilst I REALLY love the Hacking idea, that does sound like something for later.  

ReplyQuote
Raptormeat
(@raptormeat)
Petty Officer Registered

I'm not in the relevant voting tier but I concur with Pinback. Nuts and Bolts.

Whilst I REALLY love the Hacking idea, that does sound like something for later.  

Yup I totally agree. Hacking is hopefully gonna be cool, but it'll be much cooler to start with ship systems, I think.

I'll be announcing the results later today, but that is probably going to win by a large margin. I think people agree with your logic!

I like to see Rodina take a few tip from Sundog ie the shunts.

I'll watch the video, but in case I can't gleam it- how do the shunts work???

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Basically the shunt allow you bypass a damage component and restore some power to a ship system a good description can be found here on this site. http://gamesoffame.wordpress.com/sundog/ The Lightspeed/Hyperspeed games also use a similar icon base system although IIRC there were nothing like the shunt in it.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/maury/games/space/sundog/sundog-sub-c.gi f" width="320" alt="sundog-sub-c.gif">

And now I’m looking at the engine’s display, where I can see one of my control nodes is shot. Of course that’s the one part you can’t shunt…

Walking into the engineering bays displayed a schematic of various systems of the ship using a row of four coloured icons. Your ship had a number of systems, warp and sublight engines, guns for fighting, shield generators, scanners and “pilotage” (control systems).

Here again the interface “just worked” incredibly well. When the game started several of these parts were broken, as you could easily see by looking at the ‘burnt out’ icon. You could drag these out of their place in the parts schematic and replace them with new parts from your pockets.

Each system in the ship was made out of four parts, starting with a ‘Control Node’ (a computer interface) and then three other parts. You go to the shop, buy the parts, put them in your pockets, then walk back to the ship and take them out of your pockets and put them in place. For a quickly fix you could replace any part except a control node with a multipurpose “shunt”, but the system in question would then be less effective. Shunts also had a really bad habit of breaking down in combat, typically when you needed all of your systems working at their best.

Think Rodina could use use some thing similar to this as most of the newer games just have equipment which can be destroyed or you just move a power bar to transfer power from one system to another, none of them seems to have anything like the Sundog system.

ReplyQuote
Cruisin1500
(@cruisin1500)
Master Chief Registered

nuts and bolts. Emergent gameplay is where its at because all else is boring.

ReplyQuote
Raptormeat
(@raptormeat)
Petty Officer Registered

Basically the shunt allow you bypass a damage component and restore some power to a ship system a good description can be found here on this site. http://gamesoffame.wordpress.com/sundog/ The Lightspeed/Hyperspeed games also use a similar icon base system although IIRC there were nothing like the shunt in it.

Think Rodina could use use some thing similar to this as most of the newer games just have equipment which can be destroyed or you just move a power bar to transfer power from one system to another, none of them seems to have anything like the Sundog system.

That's cool! Yeah I agree about making things a bit more complicated than other games. I would really like to do something that was cooler than just "Shift Power to Shields!"... But with the customizable nature of the ship, it can get complicated. I almost feel like the best route would be to give each individual computer/machine it's own set of components, and then add a lite layer of interaction between the machines as well.

Going to be interesting! Will be devoting lots of time to this stuff over the coming weeks / maybe months, as simulation is the first set of tasks I'm gonna work on.

EDIT: One thing I don't like about the shunts is- in my ideal world, every component would have a use and would affect the greater system. In a real system with cause and effect, how could you replace a component with a generic repair part? .... Not sure yet how that would work.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

That's cool! Yeah I agree about making things a bit more complicated than other games. I would really like to do something that was cooler than just "Shift Power to Shields!"... But with the customizable nature of the ship, it can get complicated. I almost feel like the best route would be to give each individual computer/machine it's own set of components, and then add a lite layer of interaction between the machines as well.

It's a good idea you could also have junction boxes in the corridors for rerouting power or data for in the event of a system being damaged or destroyed . or to take it one step further have them in a vent as in Startrek.

EDIT: One thing I don't like about the shunts is- in my ideal world, every component would have a use and would affect the greater system. In a real system with cause and effect, how could you replace a component with a generic repair part? .... Not sure yet how that would work.

The shunt could be anything a good example of a real life one would be the jury-rigged air filter put together by the Apollo 13 crew from parts aboard the command module and Lem.

To put it in game terms, the player may be able to make a ships component from a number of different items found on planets, space stations or salvaged from destroyed ships.This jury-rigged item would never be as good as the proper one as it would keep failing so the player would have to replace it.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 7