Notifications
Clear all

Comparison with falcon 4

pasmon
(@pasmon)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

What is the future of starshatter? Well i believe it to be something like falcon 4.0 free. On comparing it with falcon 4

Falcon 4

I got falcon 4 allied assault after hearing its similarity with stgs. It is indeed a solid game but i found stgs much better why?

(i) Controls in stgs are much simpler and few as compared to F4. You seriously need a joystick along with keyboard for F4. A touch screen pc might be needed too.

(ii) Stgs has a variety of roles to offer, while F4 has only strike craft role.

(iii) Dynamic campaign of F4 is much better than stgs. You can select your own battle-plan. In stgs you have to follow a fixed battle plan with

several roles of course. However you can translate your fleet to other systems.

(iv) The heart of F4 is strike craft, heart of stgs is carrier flight ops.

braddw25
(@braddw25)
Senior Chief Registered

Interesting comparisons. I have never played falcon 4, but I have often seen where folks make comparisons to Starshatter using Falcon 4 as a basis. IT's got me almost curious enough to try it out.

ReplyQuote
pasmon
(@pasmon)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I tried it once but left it because of the lack of joystick (I have grown up and love rts only). If you have a joystick, you will love playing it. It has much better dynamic campaign than starshatter tgs and you can make your own battle plan, but you are just stuck with fighetrs and bombers.

ReplyQuote
pasmon
(@pasmon)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

In falcon 4, you have to take into account Pre-flight time before accepting a missions like saving an airbase from air-strike. Also while landing on the air-base you may have to take into account other crafts leaving for different missions.

Stgs models the exact same flight schedule in its carrier flight ops. You can appreciate it only during Flight ops. If there is a destroyer sneaking towards you, you have to scramble towards flight screen, select bombers. Give them package and then pray that your bombers are in flight just in time to save the day. Also, you have to package fighters to check enemy bombers at the same time. The tensions are really high when there is a CA imperial advancing towards you at one end and enemy bombers coming from the other end. Some-times quantum jump is the only way out

ReplyQuote
pasmon
(@pasmon)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Stgs is much better and versatile game-play than Falcon 4. Why did it fare less than Falcon 4 allied force. Because there was a team effort behind Falcon 4 and "Falcon 4 allied force" was remake of falcon 4 inspired by the motivation of modders team.

The real question is that will the motivation of modders working on stgs inspire Destroyer studio to produce another game like Starshatter or not. Only time will tell. So far there are no news from them.

I personally believe that the developer of stgs should not have used F-16 modelled aircraft design for a space combat game. For a sci-fi game, different styles are needed. Success of Free-space, Babylon 5 (TV Series), X2 are all examples of such approach. Anyway it is now upto modders to bring some-thing like "Free Falcon".

ReplyQuote
TheEHLP
(@theehlp)
Crewman Registered

As I said in the other thread, feel free to actually contribute something to this end.

Let me be clear here.

If a modeller comes to me and says "Hey, I want to do this, but the engine doesn't support it", I am happy to oblige. If a coder comes to me and says, "I looked at your code, and it could work better if you did this instead of that", I am happy to listen. But if someone comes to me and says "I have this great idea to make this thing better", without any indication of actual skill and willingness to go down into the trenches and contribute actual work, my patience is rather limited.

ReplyQuote
pasmon
(@pasmon)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Can you guide me on obtaining the code?

ReplyQuote
TheEHLP
(@theehlp)
Crewman Registered

Follow the Starshatter Open link in my Sig. There's a full guide posted there.

ReplyQuote