Notifications
Clear all

Hardwar Help

IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Just downloaded this from the download section after hearing nothing but good things about the game. Unfortunately it gives absolutely no help whatsoever. I even tracked down a .pdf manual from Captain Zedo's excellent Hardwar site. Ive looked over the controls, and watched a few youtube videos, so I have the basics of flying and docking down. (Even did a few manual docks just to see what its like.) However, alot of the basics aren't covered at all.

For instance, the manual describes various things. Like being on the Police's wanted list. How can you tell? Where is the 'stats screen' showing me my equipment, kill count, ship type, etc.etc. The game doesn't even seem to offer this. Ive got navigation down, and I know how to find the various places, but how does one find scrap? Heck where do I find missions, like bounties and stuff like that? The game is very hard to get into, and gives no help whatsoever. Its quite disheartening, because other games that do this (ELITE series.) at least have active communities to help you out. Zedo has a forums, but from looking it over, it doesn't look like there are many newbies.

Anybody got any advice one what to do? It was a bear getting the game to install properly on Windows 7, but Im starting to think the bigger obstacle will be actually playing it. 🙁

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Being a while since I played this and another game I never finished must start playing some of these games again

Anyhow looking in the Manual which is very small and brief 22 pages in all

IronHound wrote:
Where is the 'stats screen' showing me my equipment, kill count, ship type, etc.etc.

Press the “H” key to toggle the information displayed on the “HUD” depending on the level of and type of software installed in the CPU it will show the weapons fitted, the hardware fitted, or the current cargo in the pod.

IronHound wrote:
how does one find scrap?

“scrap metals and lost cargo can be found in the craters, dogfights also leave the surrounding area littered with wreckage and scrap”.

To collect scrap , you will need to fit your Moth with a salvage drone and a cargo pod which can be bought from the traders like Breaker Maker or Psycho Bobs

Use the targeting system to identify the salvage, then press the “D” key to initiate the drone, pressing D a second time will launch the drone. After a short time it will return and load the scrap into the cargo pod which then can be sold at one of the traders.

IronHound wrote:
The game is very hard to get into, and gives no help whatsoever

This game is about 12 years old long before the days of hand holding which newer game indulge in.

IronHound wrote:
Like being on the Police's wanted list. How can you tell?

Not sure how you check about being on the Police wanted list, other than if they are shooting at you or you have bounty hunter looking for you although you may be told in the message system.

In order to pay fines you need to visit the Police HQ in Downtown.

IronHound wrote:
where do I find missions, like bounties and stuff like that

Mission can be found when docked in the hangers check the messages for important information.

The vital ones will be highlighted by a star on either side of the subject column. Bounty hunting list can be found at the Police HQ in down town.

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply Pinback!

Thanks to your advice I think I have things down. Hand-holding isn't a bad thing tbh. Freespace 1&2 did it, and look how they turned out. 😎 Anyway, the game is pretty fun. I like the fact that it simulates a living, breathing planet with a working economy and ai that does their own thing. Gonna have to keep diving deeper.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Yep, Hardwar is a little gem of a game once you get used to its foibles.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

I just realised that I now have a joystick must give this another go and try it using the joystick.

ReplyQuote