Clear all

AuroraRL: space roguelike-like game

MrGenLee
(@mrgenlee)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

1408726917.jpg

Hello, folks.

We are a russian indie-developers and we're making a roguelike-like story-driven game, that's influenced by Star Control 2 and Space Rangers.

In this game, protagonist's goal is to save earth from consiquences of the ecological crisis. And to achieve such goal, you have to explore the space and planet, communicate with aliens and do a text quests. Hovewer, there is nothing to stop the player, if he wants just kill aliens and fly through galaxy.

Some screenshots here:

Space view:

b85162dc6dab0c001e687ea404d72125.jpg

Battle on some planet:

2fccc3ae1580f4dc15d147bc872aebfc.jpg

Space battle:

ff9e0aba6fca4d2c6872c759b5f45239.jpg

Conversation with alien:

81d69e9fb5d9e3473091b049b5a3f3e2.jpg

Senior officers (from left to right: Sarah - the main engeneer, Henry - combat officer and Gordon from the science team):

aa0325dd189ed724bc60e4df59c00533.jpg

Technical information:

Game engine - Java, slick2D

Non-generated maps drawn in TilED

Game is avalible for Windows, Linux and MacOS(there might be troubles with Retina displays)

Right now, AuroraRL is an alpha-build, version 0.4.0, to be exact. But even at this stage it's absolutely playable and contents a lot of stuff (1/3 of the main story, dozens of side-quests and special encounters - and this is not even 1/5 of the planned features). And, as you may notice already, it's being developed in Russian, by a Russian indie-developers. But English version is in works, and will be done, hopefully, 'till march/april of 2015. But you can check the game itself right now, to see the basics of game mechanics, some impressive artwork and, overall, the game in general.

I hope that I got you excited. That's probably the first time in 2 years of development that our game is shown to a foreign website. We will be glad to hear some feedback, positive or negative. We understand that without the English version there is no way to estimate this game fully, but if you have some questions - we well be happy to answer.

Here's some links:

https://auroraroguelikeen.wordpress.com/ - official developers blog (english)

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

AuroraRL is looking good and can't wait to see the english version come out so I can take it for a spin. This game reminds me a lot of rlProspector a rogue-like game as well but Aurora looks like it has more too it and the interface looks great and you have more old school gfx.

Some questions on gameplay:

1. Will your crew acquire new skills or gain levels of experience?

2. Will you have random space events happen that could effect the ship or the sector that you are currently in?

3. Can crew be replaced or can key members die from bad choices?

4. What will AuroraRL be free or a commercial game?

As always, if you guys need a forum area on SSC to have discussions about AuroraRL you just have to say the word. And feel free to upload AuroraRL to the download area as well.

ReplyQuote
MrGenLee
(@mrgenlee)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  
We are really glad that you like the game.

1. Yes, a team will acquire new skills. It will be realised only when the new (hired) crew members will be added. And later we may add a different gained perks.

2. Yes, we already have an encounter like that. F.e., in this version of the game, player can came across a mysterious space mold. And how to get rid of it - that's what player got to solve.

3. May be. We have planned this, but if it is difficult to do from technical standpoint, we might correct our plans.

4. Early versions will be free, no doubt. And when we made a working demo-version, we thinking on doing a kickstarter campaign and, later, appear on Greenlight

Thanks for your reply. 

The disscusion forum area here is not necessary, 'till english version is done.

ReplyQuote
MrGenLee
(@mrgenlee)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Some gameplay and art:

UPD1.

Almost forgot!

Screens from unfinished english version of AuroraRL.

henry_eng.png?w=584&h=295

sarah_eng.png?w=584&h=295

gordon_eng.png?w=584&h=294

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Like the art style of the game 😎 and is that Gorden Freeman and Riply from the post above guy in the middle looks familiar but I can't place him.

ReplyQuote
MrGenLee
(@mrgenlee)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Like the art style of the game 😎 and is that Gorden Freeman and Riply from the post above guy in the middle looks familiar but I can't place him.

>Gordon Freeman

Huh. Obvious reference. =) We'll creating quest on the basis of HL in future version of AuroraRL.

>Riply.

She really looks like Riply? It's just conincidence. But she looks pretty, i think

>guy in the middle looks familiar

Reference to MGS series (Henry looks like very old and beaten down Snake). We'll create some special quest for this character too.

ReplyQuote
MrGenLee
(@mrgenlee)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Oh, hello, folks.

I posted here couple of mounts ago. Sorry, our team was busy on making new version of AuroraRL and translating it to english.

And now English version is complete.

Right now we’ve released version 0.4.1 of the game, and it features:

-Trading system. You can trade goods with every Klisk ship and the Rogue Planet.

-Dropped items from defeated alien ships – you can research them or sell them

-English version! To launch the English version of the game you need to have a English language in your OS by default, or change «system.properties» to « locale=en». We will be very thankful if you will tell us if any problems with this version will reveal.

-Star map will have quest marks and planet info

-Some changes in GUI

-3 new quests in colony that you can get after a few hours will pass from its foundation

-Few little changes made by requests. Now resources will drop to shuttle inventory automatically when you visit the shuttle. Also, friendly-fire warning and few different things.

Download zip-archive (you need latest Java version on your PC) -  https://bitbucket.org/e_smirnov/aurora/downloads/Aurora-0.4.1.zip

Warning! Exe files tends to launch for a long time. In the first launching it may take a 5 minutes to get to the opening screen.

Of course you can ask questions and i will be glad to answer them.

ReplyQuote
MrGenLee
(@mrgenlee)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

And after couple of monts (again), i've post here new version of my game. :3

Version 0.4.3

List of changes:

1) Module for space probes

2) HP of new wild-life enemies is now hidden. Damage to previously discovered monsters are higher

3) Now you can loose a crew member when your ship is damaged by explosions

4) Updated game engine LWJGL 2.9.3. This should solve problem with resolution on retina-displays, and possibly some other issues

5) Regenerated monsters on planets

6) Some new lines of privat dialogues

7) Saves are moved to Users/<username>/AuroraRL.

Old saves will work with this version. You just should move them there.

Please, leave a feedback, we're really need it.

Our group in FB - facebook.com/AuroraRLgame

Development blog - auroraroguelike.com

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Hope to give this a spin this coming week and I will post this on the chat to see if we can get a bit more attention for AuroraRL. And if using those file shares are an issue you could always upload to SSC (it has versioning too).

ReplyQuote
MrGenLee
(@mrgenlee)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks. It would be very, very wonderful.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

There are many new exciting features awaiting in the upcoming 0.5.0 version and one of them is support for game modding.

A game modification is a set of files (jars and resources) that should be extracted into the mods directory. Such modifications will be able to:

Add new game content like new items, quests and entire star systems.
Modify existing content by overriding resources
Modify game GUI
The 0.5.0 will contain a simple mod that adds a chance to meet debris of an alien spaceship in random star system and to collect something useful from it. As we develop the modding system we will publish documentation in the wiki (already started publishing in Russian, but will need some time to translate into English)

Will be nice to see this in action.

How was AuroraRL received at StarCon?

ReplyQuote
MrGenLee
(@mrgenlee)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi, everyone. Sorry for long absence. We just were little bit busy for making new 0.5.0 version. And soon (maybe in december) we'll planning come it to Greenlight.

0.5.0 -  http://auroraroguelike.com/2015/11/28/0-5-0/

Will be nice to see this in action.

How was AuroraRL received at StarCon?

It was nice. But not so productive, how we expect it. Anyway, it was good experience. More about -   http://auroraroguelike.com/2015/08/12/aurora-rl-and-starcon-2015/

Also, we participate in IGF 2016.

ReplyQuote
MrGenLee
(@mrgenlee)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

A-a-and... we're in Greenlight! -  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=594627042

Please, check our game out and maybe vote for it.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Voted and congrats on getting AuroraRL on Steam, one step closer to seeing your work rewarded.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Look like the games heading for release on Steam from the 1st of April http://store.steampowered.com/app/437890/

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered

This is out on steam. I like the price.

ReplyQuote
MrGenLee
(@mrgenlee)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Ladies and gentlemen, as IronHound said - steam!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/437890

Early access, cause we will improving game in future.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Congrats on the accomplishment MrGenLee

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Bought it.

ReplyQuote
RichardWilliam