Notifications
Clear all

Interplay buys FreeSpace IP

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Looks like Interplay might want to do a little bit more than be the publisher of Freespace with this latest news development and I cannot believe it went for only $7500, crap for that money the community here could have bought the rights 🙂

Quote from: http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/6/4403602/interplay-repurchases-freespace-ip-thq-volition

Interplay Entertainment Corporation, publisher of Baldur's Gate and the original Fallout games, purchased the Freespace intellectual property from THQ and Volition for $7,500, according to a court document filed on June 4 (PDF link).

A Copyright Assignment and Quitclaim Agreement, which was also filed on June 4 but became effective May 10, states that THQ and Volition relinquish their rights to the combat space sim IP to Interplay. According to a search on the United States Patent and Trademark Office website, Interplay is the current trademark holder for Freespace.

Volition developed Descent: FreeSpace - The Great War in 1998 and its sequel, FreeSpace 2, the following year. Interplay published both games. THQ purchased Volition in 2000, after which the developer went on to create the Red Faction and Saints Row series of games. Koch Media purchased Volition earlier this year after THQ's bankruptcy.

Interplay continues to sell both original Freespace games on sites like GOG.com.

What is your thoughts on this, could he see some HD releases or even maybe a FS3 since space games are becoming more popular why not reboot a known series?

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Big surprise there didn't realizes Interplay were still going.

Have to say like the comments it smell like their may be a Kickstarter if they intend to make a new game. 

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Why not capitolize on this very well known IP, they would be stupid to buy the rights and sit on them. I just hope if they do build a game it is with a solid developer that will treat this series well. What they need to do is put all those folks and modders working on HLP/FSO projects to build the next FS3.

ReplyQuote
Vaipa
(@vaipa)
Petty Officer Registered

To be honest, I'd very much like for somebody to try and make a sequel rather than let the IP rot as a contract in a lawyer's drawer

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Strange how Volition did not buy it back after they made all that noise about wanting to make a new game.

ReplyQuote
ViolentAJ
(@violentaj)
Petty Officer Registered

I'd love to see a Freespace 3. hopefully they'll have cockpits this time though.

ReplyQuote