video game idea / e...

Notifications
Clear all

video game idea / environment. (2031 mars combat)

tsmspace
(@tsmspace)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

This post is pasted from a post I made in the LTT forum. I naturally would like to elaborate more, but wanted to keep the game-world description limited to the core concept of smashing the behemoth comet into mars. So technically all of my favorite games would be re-engineered to fit into the one cohesive environment, where the specifics can vary to suit the needs of a developer, but the overall concept is basically this. 

""The behemoth comet, C/2014 UN271 (Bernardinelli-Bernstein) is barreling this way at 22,000 miles per hour from the edge of the solar system. But not to worry. It will never get closer than 1 billion miles away from the Sun, which is slightly farther than the distance of the planet Saturn. And that won't be until the year 2031."" (nasa.gov)

! With a diameter of approximately 80 miles across, it’s about 50 times larger than typical comets. Its 500-trillion-ton mass is a hundred thousand times greater than the average comet.

Game World Development: 

-radiation can cause outgassing in comets, resulting in acceleration on the comet. 

-a nuclear explosion performed at a specific distance and relative direction from the behemoth comet could result in outgassing able to propel the comet. 

-using a series of bursts scientists are able to steer the comet onto a collision course with mars. 

-Once mars heats up into a ball of burning hot magma, specialized geo-thermal power plants able to float on magma gently land into the red ocean and immediately begin beaming enormous amounts of power into a space network of collectors, resulting in enormous output potential for certain processes, as well as floating islands of cooled magma on which the power plants are centered. 

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Sounds a bit like Damocles story wise.

It might be an idea to say what type of game you thinking of as the description you mention makes it's sound like an RTS. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by Pinback

ReplyQuote
tsmspace
(@tsmspace)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

@pinback Well,, I suppose I pictured a more open environment, which would be able to host more than one game, but my game of focus would be probably closer to elite dangerous, although nothing like it in the outline, because elite dangerous is so expansive, with warp travel and such. 

I would desire some gameplay of the recent release "flight of nova", (not terribly different from lunar flight, in that you just have little missions that give you an excuse to practice docking/landing), maybe infinity battlescape is closer, but then probably I would picture story immersion and although I didn't play the game much a campaign sort of like Hellion would be like,,, how I would walk the story along somehow. So,, actually Elite Dangerous DOES work that way, you can run around, have a fps character, do all sorts of things, dock and land, etc. BUT,, I actually mostly play sc2, and I can see how that would fit really super well into the environment. 

anyway,, I know that games dont' work that way,, you have to abandon all story to make the game really good, and abandon all gameplay to make the story really good, and in that way,, you end up with basically no point in that sort of concept in gameplay, .. I really liked the expanse concept, though, and think it would be somewhat like belters, with flight of nova type local area action,, maybe infinity battlescape is the same idea, you "warp", but it's not like, to other solar systems, it's more like around mars to different moons/stations. 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Their a lot of merit in going for a smaller scale in a single planet or solar system rather than a big open galaxy. IIRC firefly was set in a single system, so if their enough places to go it would not hamper any story or mission structure of a game.

I would say that the ship would have to have an interior and ship systems for the player to interact with.

ReplyQuote
ackrolix
(@ackrolix)
Crewman Registered

I would want some interactivity of the new delivery "trip of nova", (not horribly not quite the same as lunar flight, in that you simply have little missions that give you a reason to work on docking/landing), perhaps vastness battlescape is nearer, however at that point presumably I would picture story drenching and despite the fact that I didn't play the game a lot of a mission similar to Hellion would be lik

Thanks.

This post was modified 2 years ago by DarkOne

ReplyQuote