Notifications
Clear all

Galaxy Generation

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Here is a good post explaining the galaxy size and galaxy map. It is amazing the actual size of this game with given the example that if you took 100LY worth of distance you could have a possible 5000+ stars in that map when generated. That actually could be a bit much to parse through so they are talking about using a % to successfully jump filter to make the map more manageable and show by default systems with 50% success rate or higher. This is a very informative article and could be a bit confusing in spots be read it again 🙂

Read article here: http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infini ... &Itemid=48

Here is a small demo video on this topic.

Anonymous

From what I can get from the video this looks like a possible galaxy map? During the video you can see mouse-overs on various stars and it gives the name and jump success rate. If that is a map that is amazing in size and the blog post said that is just a small portion of like 100,000 stars 😯

ReplyQuote
Gargantou
(@gargantou)
Petty Officer Registered

I'm still very much doubtful about Infinity, for a multitude of reasons.

One of the largest reasons I guess is the fact that the team leader has no prior experience making MMOs, no major financial backing, yet he's attempting one of the, if not the most ambitious MMO concept in the history of video-gaming.

I've also seen him and his moderators systematically silence people who question if he and his team are overly ambitious, both on the forums and in the IRC chats.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
Gargantou wrote:
One of the largest reasons I guess is the fact that the team leader has no prior experience making MMOs, no major financial backing, yet he's attempting one of the, if not the most ambitious MMO concept in the history of video-gaming.

I would agree there that they are definitely working on a project that if it can be done...? Will be the end all game for space gamers today. I am not sure if they are even working on Infinity full time. and from what I remember the I-Novae engine will be their bread and butter while they complete Infinity. They can make some nice coin just selling the engine because it is very advanced. On the overall coding aspect, I have no judgment on it yet because so far from reading blogs and playing with the tech demo (which is old) they look to be on the right track.

I do like the fact that the devs have total control of the project and are really listening to the community. If they were in trouble they just have to ask for some help and the community would jump on board. I know I have seen some really good modeling examples in the forums.

We have to remember to nothing has been promised for 2009-2010. Most speculations are in the 2011-2012 timeframe. So they do have some time to get this developed.

Gargantou wrote:
I've also seen him and his moderators systematically silence people who question if he and his team are overly ambitious, both on the forums and in the IRC chats.

A guess they don't like criticism 🙂

ReplyQuote
Crayfish
(@crayfish)
Crewman Registered

Gargantou wrote:

Gosh, I didn't imagine anybody could get that impression of us. We generally have a very light policy on forum moderation.

How are we have supposed to have "silenced" critics?

ReplyQuote
Rith
 Rith
(@rith)
Senior Chief Registered

If they can pull this off, they should be known as greatest development team to ever exist. Or am I overstating things?

Anyway, my mind is blown.

Edit: Or at least it would be a historical feat.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

The scope and depth of Infinity will probably be a development milestone in games today. And it will be amazing to just pick a star and go there as long as you have the fuel. Nevermind the randomly generated planets and their surfaces that look absolutely stunning. This game almost needs to be a MMO because there is no way you could even visit 1% of the systems before we die if it was single player 🙂

ReplyQuote