Notifications
Clear all

Hello All

Snow46
(@snow46)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

First time on this site.  Have been a great space game fan for about 30 years.  While I am looking forward to Starfield, am looking for something that I can play in the meantime.  I live in a rural area of Idaho and my internet is awful that is why I need it to be a single player game.  I would prefer something that has assignments and allows me to actually fly the spaceship.  I do have x4 Foundations, but while it is fun there is a lot that is just not explained on how to do things and it is not a game that you can sit down for an hour or so and play....at least I can't in fact three hours is about the minimum much to the dismay of my wife. LOL.  Open to any suggestions.  I did buy SpaceBourne 2 but it is still pretty buggy and frustrating.  Thanks

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Welcome to the forums Snow46

Well I say their are a few games like Starfield.

Stellar tactics is a proper RPG space adventure where you can fly you ship unlike the Mass Effect games which were more of a talking simulator with a tacked on 3rd person shooter to keep the kiddies happy.

No Man Sky although it can get a bit repetitive after a while with all the resource gathering.

Death war 30303 the best 2d Elite clone out their.

Precursors the best game no one has ever played although it is unfished and full of bugs, but can be bought in the sale for about a fiver.

Star explorer a No Man Sky like game but looks like it's running on a windows 98 computer, not one for the graphic whores.

Rodina still early access and not being updated in while.

Loads of game like space engineers/ interstellar rift where you have to build stuff with blocks.

ReplyQuote
Snow46
(@snow46)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Thank you Pinback,

Do any of the games have a clear storyline, with side quests of course.  I would like to fly around, do a little exploring, maybe do a little trading or questing to make money to improve my equipment, etc.  I did buy space bourne2 but the tutorial was so quick, I couldnt write down the instructions or the keys.  A wasted $20 but a lesson learned.  I don't mind paying a little more for a good game.  I also have a throttle and flight stick and really dont want to be tied to a mouse controlled space ship. What do you think of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw?

This post was modified 1 year ago by Snow46

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I have Rebel Galaxy Outlaw just haven't played it yet the first one was solid so I would expect the sequel to be just as good. Everspace would be another to give a try. I have Spacebourne 2 on my wishlist and will not buy it until its done with EA, I don't buy games anymore that are on EA just been burnt too many times. Also another game is the Starpoint Gemini 3 too.

Welcome to the station @Snow46

This post was modified 1 year ago by DarkOne

ReplyQuote
Snow46
(@snow46)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks DarkOne, I will go look up Everspace and Starpoint Gemini 3.  I will wait on reloading Spacebourne 2 until it is out of EA.  I have been playing Elderscrolls On-Line and WW2 Flight Simulators, now it is time to get back to my favorite game type.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Posted by: @snow46

Thank you Pinback,

Do any of the games have a clear storyline, with side quests of course.  I would like to fly around, do a little exploring, maybe do a little trading or questing to make money to improve my equipment, etc.  I did buy space bourne2 but the tutorial was so quick, I couldnt write down the instructions or the keys.  A wasted $20 but a lesson learned.  I don't mind paying a little more for a good game.  I also have a throttle and flight stick and really dont want to be tied to a mouse controlled space ship. What do you think of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw?

Stellar tactics but the game is still in early access, so not much of the main quest has been added in yet if IIRC.

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is the best space trading and combat game made since Freelancer, nothing else made in the last 15 years comes close.

Their two caveats you should be aware of in that the game is best played with a joypad and it does not do anything new, but Double Damage made one hell of a good game.

The only other game which might give it RG2 a run for it's money is Everspace 2 which looks like it's going to be very good as well

Don't go anywhere near Starpoint Gemini 3 as it's a complete train wreck. SP2 is the far better game, give that a look.

This post was modified 1 year ago by Pinback

ReplyQuote
Snow46
(@snow46)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

@pinback Thanks for the great advice.  I am downloading RG2 on my PC as I write this and will be sure to give SP2 (everspace 2) a try next.  I have a pretty good set up with a flight stick and throttle that I use for IL-2 (WW2 Aircraft) but have never tried a joypad.  As an old retired fart I certainly don’t mind buying and trying one.  Any suggestions on one to use on a Windows 10 PC?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I just use an old wired xbox360 joypad and it's not even an official one but a cheap knock off one.

Maybe someone else will have a suggestion for a good one.

ReplyQuote
Snow46
(@snow46)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Tried the joypad on Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and since it was the first time I ever used one it was a bit awkward.  However using the key assignments as "critical" I then assigned those keys to my Flight Stick and the game took off.  I thought it was a little cartoony but very playable.  I also took a look at Everspace 2 and learned that it goes into 1.0 release on April 6th.  The game looked a lot more interesting, so I bought it also.  Now I need to find out how to program it to be played with my flight stick.  I will take both games with me when I go to the summer home which has terrible internet service and I will just download the games and play in Single Player Mode.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Be interested to hear how Everspace 2 plays with a flight stick as the game has been made to play with a mouse and the W,A,S,D keys and it works very well with that setup, although I think it's down the fact that games play area is very small and crowded with objects.

ReplyQuote