Can we remake plast...

Notifications
Clear all

Can we remake plastic waste into a rocket fuel?

robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Have you heard about the new special type of rocket fuel that is made from plastic waste? One company uses particular kinds of plastic to remake them in rocket fuel

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

You have any links or videos on this? Because if this true this would be great thing for the environment least on the recycling front.

ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

@sscadmin
Yeah, sure)
This new kind of rocket fuel has already been tested and the result of the test has shown that it`s 1% - 3% better than kerosene by its energy characteristics. But I am not sure if it`s possible to use the new rocket fuel in long space journeys.
https://www.skyrora.com/ecosene

ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I wanna add a few words, I`ve read an on some space forum that the Skyrora X uses fuel made from waste plastic, and is expected to be launched some time next year. According to some pieces of information I found on wikipedia.

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

The thing coming to my mind  is:

Plastic = Carbon

CO2 =Carbon

+Carbon based fuel's generally produce CO2 when burned.

Just a thought ...

ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I wanna add that the type of rocket fuel I`ve mentioned can be remade only from particular types of plastic. The following types of plastic can be converted into eco scene fuel: Polypropylene (PP). Polyester (PE). Polystyrene (PS) and its mixtures and analogs

ReplyQuote
MajTom
(@majtom)
Petty Officer Registered

@robert55 

Skyrora 'Ecosene' aims to develop the necessary technology to enable the conversion of non-recyclable plastic waste into high-grade in-demand aerospace fuel.

So, that is not just as easy as take plastic, that is already used for other applications and do it for eco-fuel effectively in terms of input/output ratio.
This approach is not a trivial one.
Well done, promising!

This post was modified 3 years ago by MajTom

ReplyQuote
Janet Evans
(@janet-evans)
Petty Officer Registered

"The biggest problem is plastic tubs with oil, paint, mastic - what is taken out into forests and ravines. Processing such plastic requires preparation - it should be cleaned, washed, and what type of plastic is determined. If the product has a certificate, then it is easier, and if the manufacturer decided to save money and added various impurities to the polymer, then it is already difficult to reuse it, "for this reason, it is a good idea to recycle unsuitable plastic into fuel.

ReplyQuote