Notifications
Clear all

Completed Pioneer Models

Page 14 / 25

Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Here's a 512x512 texture projected full size on the pad that was reduced from a 3888x2592 photo.

[attachment=1025:pad_Asphalt0002.jpg]

[attachment=1026:pad_Asphalt0002a.jpg]

Still too rough and blurry. I need to find a texture I can tile.

Edit: Here's a similar tiled 512x512 texture.

[attachment=1027:pad_512_seamless_texture_07.jpg]

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

[attachment=1028:pad_512_seamless_texture_07a.jpg]

Here's a 1024x1024 version.

[attachment=1029:pad_1024_seamless_texture_07.jpg]

[attachment=1030:pad_1024_seamless_texture_07a.jpg]

I don't see much difference, so I'm thinking 512 would do. Either one is a nice improvement. 😎

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Yep, that is certainly looking better and thats a nice touch with the Starport Name in the tarmac. Great work Marcel! 😎

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks Geraldine. 😀 It just occurred to me that for the 1024 version I should have made the tiles half the size of the 512 version to display more detail. It may make the asphalt pebbles too small to see. I'll give it a try and see if it's worth it, then I'll go work on those vent things.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Actually 😳 ..... I was having a think about the vents. There is a really great reason for them to be there, to catch the exhaust from ships taking off and landing. Don't real life launch sites employ just that sort of thing to vent those mega hot gases away?

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Yes, real-life launch sites have vents and pipes and whatnot to get rid of the hot gasses. I fear that they wouldn't help much with with our ships though as they put out enough power to wipe half a small planet from existence at every launch.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

They're not vents, they're elevators ELEVATORS! How can I make you see what's in my mind? I know, I'll just have to do a better job! Muahahahah! 😈 >cough<

Ahem, uh, the 1024 textures miped into mud. Here's what I came up with, the 512 textures shrunk a bit.

[attachment=1031:pad_512a_seamless_texture_07.jpg]

The tiling shows a bit, but it's an artificial surface. The asphalt spreader made it that way. Yeah, that's it.

[attachment=1032:pad_512a_seamless_texture_07a.jpg]

I also replaced the tower base texture.

[attachment=1033:pad_512a_seamless_texture_07b.jpg]

Here's where I found the texture. It's free to use with a plug. 😉

http://www.freeseamlesstextures.com/tex ... /index.htm

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Marcel,

These are looking quite snazzy!!

Makes my original 'programmer art' ground base plain and boring.

Love your work! 😀

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

This is your original 'programmer art'. Without your sketch I wouldn't be able to fill in the details! Thanks! 😀

Btw, I just replaced the grav.png texture on the other groundstations, too.

And I also want to mention that spacestations13a.zip works in alpha18.

This one's for UncleBob.

[attachment=1034:pad-Lanner.jpg]

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

The base looks fantastic, good work !

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Marcel wrote:
They're not vents, they're elevators ELEVATORS!

😆 Yes I know that Marcel but,...............there is still good reasons to have vents if you want to, especially so after robn's comments about how powerful those thrusters are. Health & Safety regulations you know, cant have you melting those poor nearby office drones everytime you fancy stopping off for quick diet steak hamburger. 😆

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Elevators are pretty cool: http://www.moddb.com/mods/elevator-source

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

😆 So, you're going to add that to Pioneer then? 😆

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

😯 I've been in elevators like that! Just try any Glasgow scheme with a high rise 😆

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Here's what I've been messing with, trying to make those vents look like elevators. When closed, they're in the up position. They drop down to be loaded/unloaded.

[attachment=1038:pad_elevator01.jpg]

I'm also thinking about where to add the vents for all you environmentalists out there. They have to be located where no possible ships' landing gear will be.

[attachment=1039:pad_elevator02.jpg]

I'm going to shrink the diameter of the lamps. I'm thinking round vents about the size of the current lamps around the periphery might look ok.

Edit: worked on it a little bit more. Since I have one attachment space left, here's the latest.[attachment=1040:pad_elevator03.jpg]

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Nice work dude!

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks again for everyone's kind words and helpful suggestions. 😀

Here's an idea for the vents. I'm not entirely happy with it. It doesn't look like it could suck up all those nasty gasses, but as an architectural detail... maybe. I don't want to put grills in places that people and droids would walk, meaning around the elevators (elevators, mind you 😉 ). I might try rectangular grill slots in that first lower area beyond the railings. (which are there for the safety of those using the elevators) Maybe the whole level could be a vent.

[attachment=1046:pad_vents01.jpg]

[attachment=1047:pad_vents02.jpg]

[attachment=1048:pad_vents03.jpg]

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

How about these vents? Notice the grill-work around the pad? Does it look like it sucks enough?

[attachment=1049:pad_vents05.jpg]

I'm thinking I'm about done with this except for the sequential landing lights, which I'll come back to later. Here's a rough version of the latest design. If there are no more comments I'll clean up the code and try to upload it to GitHub (gulp)!

[attachment=1050:spacestations 13b.zip]

ReplyQuote
WaveMotion
(@wavemotion)
Petty Officer Registered

Marcel wrote:
How about these vents? Notice the grill-work around the pad?

I think it looks great. Hope to see this in the game soon!

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks WaveMotion! I'm thinking I want to tweak the interior lighting in the nice/hoop stations a little bit before I upload. That is, if I can get the hell out of LA! 😆

Anyway, give spacestations13b a try if you want! 😀

It won't affect your a17-a18 saved games, except to add some details.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Looking very nice Marcel! 😎 Great attention to detail there. I am going to give 13b a try 🙂

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Here's my final version (for now). The station interior lighting has been improved, at least I think so, see my current avatar. That pad's not included, I'm doing that just for fun because I'm planning to texture the Flowerfairy so I'm making a work table for it so it isn't just floating in the middle of the hanger. I've also placed a sub floor beneath the ground station pad and the mushroom station elevator to disguise the clipping that caused the area below them to show when the ship appears a bit below ground level during landing and launching. I'm still a bit confused about doing a pull request in GitHub, and I've lost my broadband connection anyway so I'm going to add it to the issue tracker in the hope that robn will put it into alpha 20. It pains me a bit to see the naked 😳 version of the station in people's videos (which currently takes me about 10 times as long to download as to watch).

[attachment=1061:spacestations 13c.zip]

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Pull request opened as issue #983. Please check the comments about what needs to happen to get these into shape. First thing is to make a separate collision mesh. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks robn, and Luomu too! With your feedback we'll get this thing done right yet! 😀

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

a very simple "Atomic Rocket" 😉

it's still under construction, exspecially because i liked to make a vertical lifting rocket, but it's only possible then to fly that thing manually.

be warned the specs are "fair", which means, max.10g thrust (empty), no retro thrusters and 1g side/lateral thrust.

control is very hard due to the fact that roll and yaw are exchanged when a ship is "wrong" oriented.

i will work a bit further on the script, because i guess i can manage it to make it work proper.

[attachment=1096:Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-09 um 03.42.11.png]

(alpha19 screenshot)

btw, i haven't made it to dock it to a spacestation manually, that's periculous when you can't "break" without turning the ship around. additionally the steering is very slow due to the inertia of the rocket and the weak thrusters.

ReplyQuote
Page 14 / 25