Pioneer Mods on SSC

Page 8 / 11

Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

lot of posts to read...

hi folks ๐Ÿ˜‰

the "Gelios", yeah, but we won't see this ship anymore (prob. for your whole lifetime) with removing of the LMR, that's a sad fact.

it was also planned to let the "space whale", yes that describes my idea well, (without the enslaving ship) orbit around gas giants, because they live from hydrogene.

but any of such pleasing ideas will be past, no doubt for me, because without LUA no such "extras" are possible or depend on the will (or unwill) of our devs.

no longer will i can decide what a model can do or not.

good for some "tightminded" among us, bad, very bad for me...

i didn't hink collada can handle skinned animations, it fails already with "common" stuff, more to what i have expected and experienced the last two weeks later on (check also the "SGM models" (new model system) thread.

the "meanest" thing i'm up to now (next week, i forgot my SDRAM last week) is to compare the performance of the compliant models.

if i didn't gain a single frame in the "performance test", then you can smoke SGM in a pipe.

because if it didn't offers this and leaks in flexibility so much i see no, really no profit of it.

it only ties my hands (and bends my mind), that's all...

---

ok, that was my "lamento", now to the more pleasing stuff.

some clips of what i have done except to shuffle snow and picking up waiste.

first "Coolhands" Viper from FFED3D,

Steve "Coolhand" Tyler's Viper for FFED3D.

this shows how a FFED3D (or any directX mesh) model can be used in Pioneer without changing the original model, except to scale it to fit it for pioneer.

fortunately, directX meshes can be scaled to whatever thanks to the proper matrix4x4 for each object (and object groups, children etc) frame. proper hierarchy (parenting) for dirtectX meshes no problems so far.

unfortunately... (you will see, check the "new model system" thread)

this model comes in 5 (FIVE!) versions, incl. the "police viper".

the file (mod) i upload will replace the "ladybird" default police vessel with the "police viper", by keeping the "ladybird" alive with a different ship-specs name.

all 5 skins have been kept unaltered as well as the model itself, i only added a specular and glow -map for them.

then "Sparks" Cobra MK III,

this is a complete overhaul of my conversion of "Sparks" Cobra MK III.

the ship comes in two versions with diff. skins (as used for FFED3D), each is a "standalone" version.

the model is "heavy" altered and has a cockpit where no cockpit was planned by "sparks" (or was only marked where it should be).

over my updated version of the "Cobra MK I" (yes vuzz, i will implement your skin as soon as i got it)

to my version of the "Constrictor"

and finally a "fun ship" i converted to the new system to get a little more experienced with it,

yet another test to see how far i can go with it (not very far... sorry for the only red "navlights" ๐Ÿ™ not flashing and i can't imagine how i should solve a flashing stringlight where I (me, myself, no fixed stuff) can decide duration and phase of the stringlight with the SGM, like i used for my conversion of the "big crappy", i guess such will be past with the removing of the LMR. i guess i will never like the new system...

the users should decide imho. if the users like this and that, well then they like it, why shouldn't this be respected? "yours" and mine imagination doesn't count, the users imagination is what counts.

if they like "space whales" i'm more then pleased, if we won't see such anymore, i'm more as only sad).

AND sorry for the bad sound quality, i will improve this with my next clips.

but i know (and i knew it all my lifetime) i'm just "gernรƒยถtli" and as usual my word counts a shit, it never was different my whole life, now why should such change?

i'm a "uneducated" proletarian and usually i get handled as this, if i like it or not, if it's true or not.

(and erm, "language" barrier, you can't show one more your disrespect as to tell this if you're unwilling to read...

tell one he's a "low down ******" is less hard imo.

never forget i'm a "proletarian", to spit right in my face, such is ment for real, is less harming as a "false compliment".

i don't like "social conventions", i like the truth, always).

---

"your words shall be yes and no, and no false hearted speach."

---

ahh, yes of course i will upload them, the links will follow soon...

---

and vuzz, "multi adverts" work on the "city adverts" and fail on the ground station?

obviously weird, i will see what's the reason.

but on the other hand yet another thing we won't have in future, yet another one of many...

... of the many little "unseen" and "unnoticed" things which make the difference between "artificial" and alive, no matter how basic a model is.

"it's what you don't see what makes the difference" (hitchcock has said)

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

what annoyes me sometimes is that the SGM is so rudimental, i know of course most will be made possible in future (i guess), but on the other hand i can't understand quite well why such a simple thing like a placement of a submodel wasn't took into respect already.

the fact that this basic little need of mine has been disregarded let's me feel it's not wanted, or whatever, and i prob. have to live without it.

have to live without this and that, because some quite don't understand why i need it or like it.

or what was the idea behind?

tag "gun" (doesn't works anyway so far) exists, does that mean if i like to have a similar sub-model i need the devs to implement it?

that would be the meanest scenario.

do i need the yes and amen for every little "shit", or how does this end up?

i fear a lot of misunderstanding and different thinking.

let's turn back the clock a little,

as (who ever of the devs it was) one fixed, opened, the possibility that multiple drives act proper in the game and would make it possible that very large ships from upon the size of a enterprise could have real use in pioneer.

and as soon as i recognized and showed off this, robn limited it to one and ment it's lunatic to have more as one drive (even when it has worked proper).

you see exactly this i fear, one could have a idea that might please the users, but if one of the devs thinks it's useless, needless or even lunatic, it will be restricted.

such i really don't understand in a game like pioneer, really not.

because the possibilty to restrict it to one is (was) still given for the modeler, if i declared: "max drives = 1" only one is possible, apart from that we wouldn't need this at all if there wouldn't have thought a clever one (or a lunatic?) of possible multiple drives (i always assumed it was tomms intention to have this possibility, but one thing i know for sure, not everybody thinks open minded like tomm).

personal dislikes, misunderstanding and eager this i fear.

this i fear makes in future a lot of things "stiff" and "shortsighted" planned.

sometimes i have this nasty feeling that every screw of the game gets exchanged until none of tomms fingerprints remain in it.

but i hope that's only a nightmare of mine.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

that's cool man, really cool.

unfortunately i haven't much time left (dammit).

---

(i can't upload to SSC, due to change of provider? don't mind)

ok a short one.

just some FFE models in the new modeling system with all it's drawbacks.

"Coolhands" Viper, with 5 different skins, including the "Police Viper" set to replace the "ladybird" by keeping the "ladybird" under a new model name.

"Sparks" Cobra MKIII, based on my LMR conversion.

my Cobra MK I, still without vuzz's skin, next week probably.

my Constrictor, not much changed on this compared to the LMR model, actually far less good as it, but i need experiences.

http://sdrv.ms/Wjfxrm

ahh, of course it contains uv-maps for skinners like vuzz for the "conny", "cobra1", and "cobra3".

tell me if you like the original gimp project and the blender projects, i didn't implemented them becausxe of filesize.

as a little extra,

my "StudCity" (Lego) Interplanetary shuttle, as far as it was possible to solve this with SGM.

the finest thing of all is the spec map, but i guess we could have had this also without the SGM.

i "abused" it here like a "bump map", not really what it's ment for, but looks not bad.

gives the "roof bricks" the proper surface look and let's the studs rake out a little.

http://sdrv.ms/WjftI3

---

link to the "complete" alpha30 folder

http://sdrv.ms/WjfE6c

---

well vuzz, i don't like to make troubles, but it's to think to revive pioneer pre alpha 11,

it is of course less bugfree,

terrain gen. is far less good,

BUT

of course our "beloved" LMR is present as it was.

fighting the AI is far less hard.

i guess it could be a good starting point, at least we are free to do with it what we like.

none of what has contributed later is present in it.

only the original pioneer.

but i'm not in a hurry,

and i would need first to have a web connection at home before i can think about such.

let's say just to keep the memory of the LMR up and how pioneer has worked and looked before.

it was apart of above named also far easier to script missions (imho).

it's from my pov so much easier to handle that the whole thing could be run as a real community project, you won't have to be a programmer to understand how the shit works.

and if i'm not completely wrong, this was once the original intention...

users should be able to realise their own ideas without having to depend on a developer.

not that i dislike what has been made so far,

but i really guess the idea was once that a interested user should be able to learn how a game like pioneer "ticks".

and no flocking in of pro's who change all to a pro level.

i'm no pro, probably i will never get one, but you and me can learn from it, anyone, that's what i liked always the best at pioneer.

i would like to see user contributed missions, but how it has grown and even the translation (it's a fine thing) makes all far to complicated for a unexperienced "dumb" user.

i really miss the simplicity of earlier days.

in the meaning of,

"(any)one with a LUA help at hand should be able".

i guess we would be also free to name the thing new, so no one gets confused by which is which.

and best of all i don't need to be payed to script LUA models...

i do that with pleasure for free.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

and finally, bye bye, until next weekend...

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

let's generate some friction... or action

DOES ANYBODY REMEMEBER (no not vera) THIS?

[attachment=1681:merlin2.jpg]

[attachment=1682:gyr_ffe.jpg]

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

two cool ships, no? i guess.

Bildschirmfoto2013-02-18um224924_zpsdc26

screenshot-20130213-024523_zps67811fd0.j

the software will follow...

yes the merlin leaks of a landing gear, it's on it's way but it's a treat to mount it into the the movable wings,

because they need to be oriented proper to rotate them along z (y).

thus the undercarriage must be placed "out of angle".

neither i liked to break one face of the bezier surfaces, all is "cheated".

i have converted the "Hulcutter" (the twin cockpit saucer thing) to SGM and did the vice versa,

horrible effect on the former nicely shaded surface.

but well SGM has no zbias, how should we manage such without setting up a script of whatever kind?

and placing the stuff like it was done for the decals demo (place it 10cm in front of the surface) is, sorry,

lame

i guess is the right word, compared to the use of a determinable zbias.

but oh i should stop whining...

ahh... each and every centimetre i struggle wit the limitations and think always it's so "stiff"...

to calm your souls down (or fire them up) i have made a couple of ships for the SGM.

compare yourself...

and it's not about the things i can see easy solved like flashing lights,

it's more all the other "unseen" stuff you can perform (have performed, once, long a go in far galaxy...).

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

Excellent work, as always.   

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

gell... ๐Ÿ˜‰

(= "indeed" - "it is", a somewhat flexible expression, used often as question to gain verifying)

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Anybody else want that Eagle for the start up ship? And the way that Sidewinder sits on the pad is awesome! I think Geraldine will be pleased!

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

yes, i finally (after "so many" years) i found a way to place the LMR models proper on the landing pad ๐Ÿ˜‰ (well must have been right before it was "murdered")

while it's a little "trick" again, i did something similar more then once.

placing a v(0,0,0) tri on the collision mesh, positioned on the final resting height.

but it has never worked out.

usually i tried to place it in the static section of the script and exactly that was one reason, it should be

first - placed in the dynamic section

second - a submodel you call up in the dynamic section

that works.

i found more interesting "secrets" within it.

but they are newly present.

i allways assumed and it was fact that a .obj without UV coordinates won't be handled by pioneer.

i posted that quite a while ago on the issue tracker i guess... at least once i said it would be nice to override the UV of a .obj.

and that i examined the source and noticed that missing normals and even UV should get generated in case it's not present.

however this has changed now and wavefront .obj won't need normals (that was always ok) neither UV coordinates.

if you export a .obj without UV you will have to project it like for a scripted geometry.

this has made the texture animation on the "Borg Interceptor" possible.

prob. just to show, "hey look that works, isn't that cool?".

it's mean to change the textures UV dynamic,

especially on such a large object as a ship, a little extra at lod4 ok, but a whole ship?

but also somehow cool...

BUT it costs as much FPS as my large groundstation with all adverts animated robots and whatever, no even more!

in despite of the fact that the LMR will die

i will continue to build models for it,

just because it's much more fun to me as the "stiff" CAD stuff.

because if i have a idea i can realise it, whatever crazy idea that might be.

no one (has to) tells me what is possible in "my" galaxy (does mean yours as well)

once this WAS pioneer

what it will become in future is not to clear to me...

something different for sure,

but i'm not sure if i like it....

like i always said you can "read" in the game who's behind, back then and now.

there are 100's of space games

WHY THE HECK DOES PIONEER HAVE TO BECOME UNIFORM TO THE MASS?

---

and yes you can have it, (tomorrow)

as LMR model with some extras (and some missing stuff i have to script first, ike lasers and missiles, especially guns need that ship better looking ones)

or as SGM model with some leaks in appearance compared to the LMR model.

---

one thing i'm also suspicious about,

killing the stuff first with flipped UV 50% of my models was shit in the game,

steady arguing that my models are to "pizzicato"

and idiot as i am i followed that and removed so many of the extras on my ships,

for what?

just to make this "low shit" look good...

now that was the "mean cat" speaking here, the suspicious one, the one who distrusts anybody...

---

ts, alone the fact to place decals many centimetres above the surface...

wavfront .obj have ported to the  SGM shitty mixed up normals

and they like to remove the LMR "tomorrow"

and replace it with something unfinished and unflexible as this.

for ME and i speak only for me this kills some of pioneer.

but well i can argiue what i want they will go in their own direction no matter what arguments i (we) have.

am i a slave?

certainly not.

i will see, but i like the LMR 1000 times more and they can say whatever how shitty and homebrew it is, i don't have to believe it.

and i dont't hink it's a fact, if i look at the result.

the colored material looks like a rubber coated surface, it's a crying shame...

not that this would be only a shader problem,

but count this and that together and you see it's totally weak and actuially it can't replce half of what the LMR offers.

that will prob. change.

but why this hurry?

why has it to be removed "tomorrow"?..

something smells... ah you know me, it's this guy in the back of my head...

the one who is responsible for the good as well as for the evil ideas i have ๐Ÿ˜‰

that little green or red bugs which crawl into my ear certain times.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

ok i dicided to upload the eagle "untested", i hope it works for you...

the rest will follow, but i like to makle first proof if it works all proper,

and gather some stuff together for the SGM projects i made as a sort of tutorial material.

[attachment=1683:mod_eagle_sgm_30-1.zip]

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

prob. they was right on elite-games.ru, but how could they have known in advance?

just guess, make your own thoughts, count 1 and 1 together and...

---

bah, i don't mind and i don't mind, "we don't like cockpits... we think it's to complex...".

i really see no reason why we shouldn't be able even to walk through a ship, if that would be possible.

something IS WRONG i swear.

---

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

i really see no reason why we shouldn't be able even to walk through a ship, if that would be possible.

I look forward to seeing your implementation.

ReplyQuote
sapog662
(@sapog662)
Master Chief Registered

Unfortunately, the game crashed.(

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

that was the "wrong" ship (apart from other things that went wrong)

not really wrong, but i guess it should have been the lmr version of the same model,

simply because it looks a tiny little bit better ๐Ÿ˜‰

i got a delay with my models, because i like to fix the few missing textures of the big crappy you've seen in the clip.

and other little things, prob. i should check if they still work in the latest release.

somehow it's sad i lost my "job", but time marches on...

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

[attachment=1695:screenshot-20130213-024811.jpg]

i missed once to post this one, it's a shot from a trip to the core of nereid

[attachment=1696:what_.jpg]

i only wanted to know how deep those spikes of a spikey asteroid went, very deep as you can see.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

"i should check if they still work in the latest release."

studcity_shuttle and Eagles not look the same on the A30 version to the A31. Not seen the pilot.

In other ships (The two Cobra) do see the pilot.

Enjoy of your work.    And do not you crazy.    

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

yep, i guess i disabled the pilot temporary,

in the sgm conversion i uploaded already i have simply to add a

"onefitsallgenderraces" to place ๐Ÿ˜‰

not easy i guess i take the robot-pilot that suits best for all...

edit:

i didn't disable it, but i guess we need no pilots...

no, some slight change in the material to SGM i guess

i have the files ready here on SSC, but they must be first revisited.

but meanwhile this will probably help:

http://sdrv.ms/VDFELP

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

Cobra 1 is ok in A32. Although the pilot has, a mustache and large breasts. 

Continue your work with OSX or changed to Windows?

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

both walterar and you can see whats the result when you mix OSX and Windows

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)
Warrant Officer Registered

@ potsmoke

thanks a lot  for continue to put models in LMR in your SD ( like these amazing Merlin)

i've added these one to my Genesia . ( lightly modify with adittion of a basic and temporary pilot ).

screenshot2013022410160.png

screenshot2013022410201.png

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

pilot and decals need a update ๐Ÿ˜‰

they would exist in my ffe mod,

but last month, i already knew a lot of things will change

i decided to resurrect one of the intermediate versions.

because i steady optimized it to use less dynamic models.

this counts not only for the pilot, all ships and whatever.

like i said i already decided to implement all that "unwanted" shit again.

because if it's "dead" certainly no one can argue about how i use it.

---

the sign you see on the merlin, would be the half of what i had in mind as third

faction, they never made it except to my ffe mod i guess.

they was ment to use like text, it's a "build" symbol, needs no texture

and if the opacity is around .5 it looks as if it's would be part of the hull.

what is sad and i could easy say sad for the rest, with the descision to remove the elite content,

i will certainly make not many models for the sgm, only a few are converted and i guess i stop it exactly here

no more elite ships in sgm, from my side, not as a condition, as decision of mine which i took already at home

because i have still a handful others to maintain,

why should i convert them to a system that doesn't do them good

and

where i'm not longer part of.

i have a last sgm model ready and i do mean my last,

it won't fit neither, but i never thought that any of my models will fit to pioneer (longer),

of this special progress i'm aware since a long time.

anyway "mainstream" i never fittet to, in none of my interests.

because i don't have to get angry, i only have to look at the bad condition they was for two years

and how many hurdles stood in my way to change that.

there was no interest to change this situation i can say,

that i wasn't satisfied and even a bit hurt anyone can imagine.

mods system or not, it hurts to see your work "in pieces".

(i mean, imagine, everytime yuo download that stuff you see that all is still "upside down"?

for years? what should one think then? be happy?)

one could say i should be happy this crap gets removed,

it was anyway a very bad reputation for me (prob. why i'm so angry?).

any working model and if it's only a conversion of the original geometry like the "gyr"

does me better, actual release of pioneer or not.

isn't it a fact

that's a shiity box made of less then 20 vectors

shuttle03.jpg

but i does my better as to see such for two years

Bildschirmfoto2013-02-24um123311_zps2e6c

(no i don't think participating via github was necessary, especially not if that only counts only for one and not for the rest)

and that hurts, each time you look at it, it hurts, and who don't understand this must be a rather unsensible character, i guess.

seen from this pov they should had removed it two years ago (edit: one and a half ๐Ÿ˜‰ ),

ha, as if i haven't said then i would like to take them with me.

but then they was certainly good enough, some at least to get it going.

but i wont waste anymore time getting angry (and sad, or vice versa, first you get sad then you get angry) about all that, and i hope i get it right this time.

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)
Warrant Officer Registered

take a look on my Genesia , all models works fine in these version 

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

promise, "next generation" helmet will look like this...

depositphotos_6166587-Fighter-pilot-helm

right?!

i will certainly, it's just when i'm here in my moms flat i have web, at home i have my pc, certainly i will download it

but check out with patience at home.

prob. i have some additions... already, i guess a few things was a bit mixed, but i will check the new one first.

as one tiny addition, i replaced the r2 model with a own one, and of course as you have seen i worked on the adverts, they should

work now again as it was planned, randomly and interrupted sometimes by a "system breakdown" (test screen) ๐Ÿ˜‰

the skyscraper complex is you'rs? suits well to the rest no matter who's author, textures are "loaned", but i like it.

it's anyway not that i dislike skyscraper at all or couldn't imagine such, it was only i guess you have (had) to decide in pioneer.

"outdoor" buildings

or

"sealed" buildings

i decided for the sealed buildings (or something intermediate, or where you could imagine at least it could be "sealed"), with the simple argument that if i can't select this makes most sense, because most planets will have no atmosphere or no breathable.

---

take care starblade they will eat your machine, lol

no certainly not, well some obvoiously if i move something it costs a little fps,

if i move a lot of things...

but i feel it's not to much, as long as i don't do such "evil" things as i did for the "borg" it's a sneeze, from my pov.

i could easy say in the state i use them or you find them in tourists compilation, they run better as in the download

thus due to a few submodels that have changed in use, but never made it to the release.

(as long as i don't use textures dynamic, i will remove such and add therefore other things that use less fps, one could say the "borg" was a test to see how much that such "hurts" the engine. if it's to solve with something else that will be certainly the better solution then. ok, a "borg interceptor" exists only once, in this way).

---

tourist,

was it your intention to take pilot version "alpha 0"? ๐Ÿ˜‰

one word, i guess i would have only to read the position, actually it's anyway unfinished and pilots

are a "problem", means exactly this is the little mix you have (some ships use this some that, i'm in a similar situation, almost), but even i have to step back like i said to the intermediate version

or equal, i will see.

still i would like since that possibility would exist get the proper players chosen gender for it.

but if i can't, then the random gender is still better as a uniform gender and you can influence this still in the 

"paint shop" (change reg.).

yes, a comment could be helpful for a decision, because it's neither bad how i use it actually,

best would be you decide your pilot the rest is generated (crew,A.I.).

but that would have ment i had to left all this random stuff in the pilot model, which i liked to remove once.

but like i said i see nothing now that should hinder me from this.

in fact it makes nearly no difference, you call this pilot model anyway, if the gender is randomly selected or static doesn't makes a noteable difference. the only difference is to call it or to call it not (mainly, there exists a older version which is "bad", thus because i used some

.obj in the dynamic section of a model, but i changed that soon later, those two versions have a noteable difference in performance)

(also to get rid of the situation "outdoor" cobra female, inside cockpit male, -> walterar ๐Ÿ™‚

no, that was also just foolin' around, but i made this ladder and thought "well there's something missing",

besides for those who are open minded enough still it should also help to clarify some size/scale problems).

ReplyQuote
Starblade
(@starblade)
Crewman Registered

@ potsmoke

thanks a lot  for continue to put models in LMR in your SD ( like these amazing Merlin)

i've added these one to my Genesia . ( lightly modify with adittion of a basic and temporary pilot ).

I like those models. Can we have them on the Pioneer ? Or  they consume  too much CPU / GPU  ?

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 11