Clear all

Alpha 14 released

Page 1 / 2

robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

The Pioneer development team are pleased to announce the release of Pioneer alpha 14. Builds for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux are available for download from the download page. This release features a new 3D galaxy view, a complex trade ships AI and in-system delivery missions.

New features

* 3D galaxy (#394, #429)

* Trade ships AI. Ships now dock, undock, hyperspace and buy and sell things (#412, #11, #448)

* Delivery missions to other starports in the same system (#388)

* Press CTRL while clicking time acceleration buttons to override the lockout due to nearby bodies (#417, #358)

* Settings to adjust terrain textures and fractal detail (#442, #416)

* Polish translation (#443)

* Lua attribute SBody.parent to find the parent of a system body (#359, #368)

* Lua methods Player.SetNavTarget and Player.SetCombatTarget to let script control player targets (#422, #444)

* Overdue deliveries will now be checked and reported as "failed" immediately after hyperspace (#445)

Fixes

* Remove a couple of hardcoded references to the data directory (#363)

* Fix crash when closing police form triggered from inside a advert (#371, #372)

* Fix occasional crash in DeliverPackage when cleaning up old ads (#123, #379)

* Fix inverted mouse control (#389)

* Tweak to texture scaling to make edges sharper (#391)

* Fix occasional crash when rendering certain hill terrains (#364)

* Fix flickering when HDR enabled (#266, #401)

* Fix crash when trying to display tooltips when their parent UI element is no long on screen (#59, #410)

* Disable thrusters when docking (#409, #418) and in hyperspace (#431)

* Restore NPC (Lua) hyperspace functions (#414, #362, #269, #426)

* Fix bug where NPC flight state was not reset upon exiting hyperspace

* Nereid now has a radius and can be found

* Don't allow scripts to jettison non-existent cargo (#430)

* Fix crash when selecting own hyperspace cloud remnant (#427)

* Fix occasional autopilot crash into planet (#424)

* Fix buy/sell message output (#452, #288)

Internal changes

* Lots of internal cleanups; silences many warnings under GCC (#373, #375, #389, #392, #383, #399) and MSVC (#434, #435, #436)

* New utility functions for floating-point comparisons (#389)

* Dump Lua engine state to file on exception in Lua module (#370)

* Lua documentation fixes (#380, #403, #475)

* Abstracted the HDR rendering pipeline into discrete components (#396)

* New string formatting system for translations and other strings (#405, #449)

* Gracefully handle attempts to load old savefiles (#428)

* Redirect stdio output streams to files in user dir. Do this by default on Windows builds.

* Use SDL mouse button defines instead of hardcoded numbers (#446)

ElectricSkies
(@electricskies)
Petty Officer Registered

Thanks!

I'd like to build this for myself in Mac OSX. How much do the instructions in the Compile pioneer page apply to building for Mac?

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  
ElectricSkies wrote:
I'd like to build this for myself in Mac OSX. How much do the instructions in the Compile pioneer page apply to building for Mac?

I think it doesn't for the most part. See COMPILING.OSX.txt. Our OS X guy (Philbywhizz) hasn't been around much lately (also why there's no OS X build yet) so the XCode project might be slightly out of date (missing new files). If it doesn't work for you the GNU way should work.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Great news robn. Looking forward to trying this one out with the new map! 😎

ReplyQuote
RayvenQ
(@rayvenq)
Crewman Registered

Sadly, it seems pointless playing because if you save a game in A14 (and i noticed this in the previous nightly build) and then subsequently try to load it, it gives you the "this save contains errors" message.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Confirmed, saved games refuse to load. Could this have something to do with the music player? The game reported something like unable to determine music player state. I also tried turning off the music, but got the same error. Otherwise this is a great release. Has something been done to the ship controls? Flying around "feels" better 🙂 Also the game reports on the title screen it is Alpha 15!

ReplyQuote
durandal
(@durandal)
Petty Officer Registered

I cannot reproduce it on master, even if I enable sound and music, sfx is playing.

Change DisableSound to 1 in config.ini and it should make game load, but you will get no sound/music/sfx...

ReplyQuote
Robsoie
(@robsoie)
Petty Officer Registered

I noticed i didn't visited Europa in last nightly builds, didn't visited it since a while actually.

So after getting Alpha 14, i went right to it, and well it's rather weird but i don't know if it is intended or if it is a bug to report, is Europa supposed to look like this .

From orbit :

YNvUf.jpg

From flying close :

3DLh5.jpg

I have not noticed other planets/moon/asteroid doing that on the few i visited in Alpha 14.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

We are aware of Europa's 35km high cliffs. (-:

ReplyQuote
RayvenQ
(@rayvenq)
Crewman Registered

durandal wrote:
I cannot reproduce it on master, even if I enable sound and music, sfx is playing.

Change DisableSound to 1 in config.ini and it should make game load, but you will get no sound/music/sfx...

Did that, still getting this save contain errors.

Tried making a brand new fresh save and then loading it immediately after (with DisableSound set to 1 before launching the game) came back with the same thing.

Also got this in the STDerr file

Quote:
Game saved to 'C:\Users\Username\Documents/Pioneer/savefiles//test'

Savefile version 30. This saved game cannot be loaded because it contains errors.

Could it be because of the flipped around and doubled slashes messing with the game?

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

There's a couple of issues at play here. One is that I accidently built a 15dev build and released is at alpha 14 (14 has savefile version 29, so the "version 30" thing is a giveaway). The other issue is that there's a bug in 15dev right now that's breaking game loads.

I'm doing a rebuild right now. I will repack alpha 14 and make a single binary available so you don't have to re-download the entire thing. I'll post again here when that's done.

ReplyQuote
Vlastan
(@vlastan)
Senior Chief Registered

I noticed that the terrain loading seems considerably slower in alpha 14...

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Ok, the builds on the download page have been updated. If you already downloaded alpha 14 then you can just grab the binaries:

pioneer-alpha14.exe (Windows, 41MB)

pioneer-alpha14 (Linux, 1.8MB)

Note that these will not load save files from the "original" alpha 14. As I said before, it was actually a later developement build and has a couple of internal differences that make the save files incompatible.

ReplyQuote
RayvenQ
(@rayvenq)
Crewman Registered

Got this error when starting a new game with the new exe

Quote:
nError: data/modules/TradeShips.lua couldn't find constant with name 'SHIELD' in namespace 'EquipSlot'

stack traceback:

[C]: in function 'GetEquipCount'

data/modules/TradeShips.lua in function 'addShipEquip'

data/modules/TradeShips.lua in function 'spawnInitialShips'

data/modules/TradeShips.lua in function

Error: data/modules/TradeShips.lua couldn't find constant with name 'SHIELD' in namespace 'EquipSlot'

stack traceback:

Gonna get the repackaged alpha 14 and try that and then see what happens.

Tried it with the repackaged alpha 14 and got

Quote:
Error: data/modules/TradeShips.lua couldn't find constant with name 'SHIELD' in namespace 'EquipSlot'

stack traceback:

stack traceback:

[C]: in function 'GetEq[/qu]te

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

robn wrote:
Ok, the builds on the download page have been updated. If you already downloaded alpha 14 then you can just grab the binaries:

pioneer-alpha14.exe (Windows, 41MB)

pioneer-alpha14 (Linux, 1.8MB)

Note that these will not load save files from the "original" alpha 14. As I said before, it was actually a later developement build and has a couple of internal differences that make the save files incompatible.

Thank you robn! 🙂 I will give that a try and update my post on the Frontier Forum too if it works 😉

EDIT: Using just the new exe, save games wil still not load. Also starting a new game creates this new error report

"ERROR:data/modules/tradeships.lua could'nt find constant with name `SHIELD` in namespace `EquipSlot`

[C]: in function `GetEquipCount` data/modules/TradeShips.lua in function `addShipEquip`

data/modules/TradeShips.lua in function `spawn InitialShip`

data/modules/TradeShips.lua in function "

Going to try downloading the full packaged version again

ReplyQuote
Robsoie
(@robsoie)
Petty Officer Registered

The new windows binary applied on the "bad build" lead into this error after selecting your starting point (and i tried the new build and it does the same error too) :

NwGwJ.jpg

And once clicking OK, it crashes with a runtime error.

The windows version of the "bad build" didn't have this error.

edit : just noticed someone posted the error message already.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Robsoie wrote:
edit : just noticed someone posted the error message already.

No worries Robsoie, too much information on a crash is better than none at all. It all helps the devs 😉

Oh, and welcome to the SSC 🙂

Edit:

Tried out the full package and getting the same error when staring a new game. Also, getting this error when loading a save game:

Error: data/modules.TradeShips.lua bad argument 0 `pairs` (table expected, got nil)

stack traceback

[C]: in function `pairs`

data/modules/Assassination.lua in function

Edit Mk2: Oh 😳 just noticed robn said the older save files would'nt work with the new exe.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

That's a known bug that was fixed a few days ago but didn't make the deadline for alpha 14. A workaround is to delete lines 39-47 from data/modules/TradeShips.lua.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Thanks again robn, I will try that 😉

Hey robn, thats fixed it. Old games still wont load, but new one will and it also starts up as normal now too! 😀 Many thanks, I will post those fixes on the Frontier Forum. If I dont they might get a bit tetchy 😆

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Yeah, old games don't load - we're bumping the save version about every week at the moment. The joys of fast-paced development 🙂

ReplyQuote
Robsoie
(@robsoie)
Petty Officer Registered

@Geraldine, thanks for the welcome

robn wrote:
That's a known bug that was fixed a few days ago but didn't make the deadline for alpha 14. A workaround is to delete lines 39-47 from data/modules/TradeShips.lua.

I deleted those lines (i think that's the ones ?)

Quote:

if ship:GetEquipCount('SHIELD', 'SHIELD_GENERATOR') == 0 and

Engine.rand:Number(1) - 0.1 < lawlessness then

local num = math.floor(math.sqrt(ship:GetEquipFree('CARGO') / 50))

ship:AddEquip('SHIELD_GENERATOR', num)

if ship_type:GetEquipSlotCapacity('ENERGYBOOSTER') > 0 and

Engine.rand:Number(1) + 0.5 - size_factor < lawlessness then

ship:AddEquip('SHIELD_ENERGY_BOOSTER')

end

end

And it indeed allow to launch the game without the error message and the runtime error following it.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Yep, that's it!

ReplyQuote
Robsoie
(@robsoie)
Petty Officer Registered

Thanks

Been flying in Hades canyon while New Hope was on the horizon

nYpNes.jpg

fQgGOs.jpg

I wish i had a powerfull computer enough to play at this kind of details 😀 but what's impressive with Pioneer is that even at medium details it looks really nice (and with great framerate on my old system)

for comparison, same locations but level of details i use when flying and have a very nice framerate despite my intel card :

yDgNfs.jpg

iVt4Ts.jpg

That game is really wonderfull and gorgeous even at medium/high details , thank you very much for always improving it

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

robn wrote:
ElectricSkies wrote:

I think it doesn't for the most part. See COMPILING.OSX.txt. Our OS X guy (Philbywhizz) hasn't been around much lately (also why there's no OS X build yet) so the XCode project might be slightly out of date (missing new files). If it doesn't work for you the GNU way should work.

I'm back.. and will have an OSX build tonight. Had some issues building this release as there were a few changes with the way my ObjectiveC code was working with pioneer. The GNU way should always work though (COMPILING.OSX.txt should help you there - if it doesn't let me know).

Cheers,

Philbywhizz.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

I finally sorted out exactly what went wrong with the original builds of alpha 14. I've done fresh builds from scratch and confirmed they work, and uploaded them. If you already grabbed the original and the patched executable and edited TradeShips.lua then there's nothing you need to do. If you do go and download the alpha 14 packages from the download page then it will all just work.

Sorry for the mix up, and thanks for your patience!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2