Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Issue tracker now available

Page 4 / 6

pazuzu
(@pazuzu)
Petty Officer Registered

Alpha 20, on Win 7 Ultimate 64bit: opening the 3d starmap crashes the game, all the time.

Thanks to all the devs, I've been waiting for this for as long as I can remember!

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

As the thread's title hints, there is an issue tracker. Please do take the time to describe the problem on the issue tracker. Include the contents of your opengl.txt file, and describe exactly what you did to make the crash happen. Bear in mind that (since we wouldn't have released alpha 20 if we knew it crashed so obviously) the dev team are unaware of this, and have not seen it happen at all.

Also include details of any modifications you have made to the game, such as additional data files, models or Marcel's home towns.

We do know about Enki Catena. We're ignoring it for the time being; an asteroid's no place for a city anyway.

ReplyQuote
pazuzu
(@pazuzu)
Petty Officer Registered

You are right, will do when I manage to find opengl.exe, where is the file location?

ReplyQuote
pazuzu
(@pazuzu)
Petty Officer Registered

nvm, found it

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Fwiw, I just flew to Enki Catina from La with my hometowns and my wip spacestations installed. The crash wasn't fatal, but here's what I saw when I landed.

[attachment=1095:Enki Catina.jpg]

Yeah, It's no place for a city, but a small mining base would be appropriate.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Unfortunately, almost the entire terrain there is steeply sloped. Asteroids need an entire rethink of bases and docking. The current landing pads are not the solution.

ReplyQuote
quinn2084
(@quinn2084)
Crewman Registered

I noticed an inconsistency with the star map. It appears that the right-ascensions are off by 180 degrees (or 12 hours). Look at Barnard's Star. This was the only place I could find to post this, as the other sites I'm getting "page not found" etc. Let me know if this is the right place to post, and if so, I'll continue my with the details. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

quinn2084 wrote:
I noticed an inconsistency with the star map. It appears that the right-ascensions are off by 180 degrees (or 12 hours). Look at Barnard's Star. This was the only place I could find to post this, as the other sites I'm getting "page not found" etc. Let me know if this is the right place to post, and if so, I'll continue my with the details. Thanks.

The place to report bugs is still the issue tracker.

Firstly, though, are you sure there's a problem? I have no idea how you're measuring right-ascension in the game, but Barnard's Star is in the same approximate direction as the galactic centre, which is right.

ReplyQuote
quinn2084
(@quinn2084)
Crewman Registered

Thanks for replying. The right-ascension of the galactic center is about 18 hours, and so is Barnard's Star -- you're right. But they are, then, both pointing in the wrong direction. Look at the stars in this wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nearest_stars -- Starting from Sol, if you face the First Point of Aries (0hrs right ascension, 0 degrees declination), Barnard's Star is shown to the RIGHT, not the LEFT. The Pioneer Star Map shows Barnard's Star to the left (if you face the First Point of Aries on the Star Map from Sol). I'm pretty sure the First Point of Aries, in the Pioneer Star Map, is in the direction, from Sol, toward the Sector Coordinate (0,1,0); and Polaris (90 degrees declination) is in the direction, from Sol, toward the Sector Coordinate (0,0,1), yes? I think I know what happened -- when you laid the coordinates down you went in a clockwise direction when using the right-ascension, but you should have gone counter-clockwise. Just trying to help... It's a great game.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

You're going to have to log an issue there. I might be confusing myself greatly, but the local stellar neighbourhood looks OK to me.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Quote:
Barnard's Star is shown to the RIGHT, not the LEFT. The Pioneer Star Map shows Barnard's Star to the left (if you face the First Point of Aries on the Star Map from Sol).

We've discussed this before, we came to the conclusion that when factoring in the centor of the galaxy then we are displaying them correctly.

If however SOL was to the left/west of center in Pioneer instead of to the right/east, then they would be wrong. We had some reference images knocking about, I think Brianetta found them, they showed our stars to be in approximately the correct place when looking towards the galactic center from Earth.

But like Brianetta said, make an Issue on the tracker if your convinced its wrong. We'd certainly like it to be correct 🙂

EDIT//

Sorry I didn't thoroughly read your post.

Quote:
But they are, then, both pointing in the wrong direction.

Yeah pretty much, I always imagined it would be correct if looking from the bottom instead of the top 🙂 (looking from Z- to Z+, instead of Z+ to Z-). So if you tilt your head round, they should be facing the right way hehe

ReplyQuote
quinn2084
(@quinn2084)
Crewman Registered

s2odan wrote:
Quote:
Barnard's Star is shown to the RIGHT, not the LEFT. The Pioneer Star Map shows Barnard's Star to the left (if you face the First Point of Aries on the Star Map from Sol).

We've discussed this before, we came to the conclusion that when factoring in the centor of the galaxy then we are displaying them correctly.

If however SOL was to the left/west of center in Pioneer instead of to the right/east, then they would be wrong. We had some reference images knocking about, I think Brianetta found them, they showed our stars to be in approximately the correct place when looking towards the galactic center from Earth.

But like Brianetta said, make an Issue on the tracker if your convinced its wrong. We'd certainly like it to be correct 🙂

EDIT//

Sorry I didn't thoroughly read your post.

Quote:
But they are, then, both pointing in the wrong direction.

Yeah pretty much, I always imagined it would be correct if looking from the bottom instead of the top 🙂 (looking from Z- to Z+, instead of Z+ to Z-). So if you tilt your head round, they should be facing the right way hehe

Thanks. I will log an issue once I save up my 7 bucks to join 😉 (or don't I have to to pay to log an issue?? I tried clicking on "new issue" but it took me to "page not found.") I really tried doing that, too, i.e. looked at Sol from the direction of the Southern Cross (or from sector 0,0, -1), but it doesn't work. It then puts Barnard's Star in roughly the correct spot but all the other stars are then mirrored and in the wrong spot. I'm pretty sure it's because the stars were laid down using a "standard" clock for the right ascension which goes clockwise, but it should have been laid down in a COUNTER clock wise position ... E.g. if midnight (0 hours) points to the top and noon (12 hours) points to the bottom, then 18 hours (as Barnard's Star is) points to the RIGHT, not the left. It is counter-intuitive, I know, but that's how it is because (as many of you know) we pretend Earth stays still and the stars spin around us, for simplicity's sake.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  
quinn2084 wrote:
Thanks. I will log an issue once I save up my 7 bucks to join 😉 (or don't I have to to pay to log an issue?? I tried clicking on "new issue" but it took me to "page not found.")

Its free. You only have to pay to host private projects there. We do all of Pioneer's project management there and don't pay a dime. I have heard that the signup can be hard to find though. It's here: https://github.com/signup/free

ReplyQuote
Ziusudra
(@ziusudra)
Senior Chief Registered

quinn2084 wrote:
I tried clicking on "new issue" but it took me to "page not found."

Internet Explorer has issues with the GitHub site. If you're logged in it should be OK, or you can use another browser, like Chrome.

ReplyQuote
quinn2084
(@quinn2084)
Crewman Registered

Okay, thanks, Robn and Ziusudra. I created my free account with your advice. I just logged the issue as:

"quinn2084 opened this issue just now

Star Map Right Ascensions Appear Off By 180 Degress"

Here https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/issues/1080

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

That's brilliant. Please take a look at the changes we're proposing here (includes pictures), and add comments with any of your thoughts.

ReplyQuote
quinn2084
(@quinn2084)
Crewman Registered

Thanks, Brianetta, looks good! And I'm glad to see I wasn't losing my mind, or just being plain ignorant!

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

quinn2084 wrote:
Thanks, Brianetta, looks good! And I'm glad to see I wasn't losing my mind, or just being plain ignorant!

I haven't quite ruled out the possibility that we both have...

ReplyQuote
quinn2084
(@quinn2084)
Crewman Registered

Brianetta wrote:
quinn2084 wrote:

I haven't quite ruled out the possibility that we both have...

LOL! Ah yes, good point.

ReplyQuote
Skodyn
(@skodyn)
Senior Chief Registered

How do you add a Label like 'Feature Request' to a new issue? or is that done by you Brianetta?

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  
Skodyn wrote:
How do you add a Label like 'Feature Request' to a new issue? or is that done by you Brianetta?

Yeah, we add labels to help us track and categorise things. You just write the words, we take care of the rest 🙂

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

the anti clockwise changes seem reasonable enough better graphical and tactical overlay

ReplyQuote
greywolf
(@greywolf)
Petty Officer Registered

This concerns the alpha 23 builds only (from the beginning of alpha 23 - I was hoping the problem would go away after a couple of builds): CTD when pressing F2 (map), with shader only, no error message. Without shader, everything is fine. I have never seen this happening with alpha 22 or older.

My PC is AMD triple core, 4 GB RAM, ATI 3650 card (latest drivers), Vista Home Premium, plenty of disk space, resolution 1280x1024, all parameters set to max (performance is great).

By the way: I tried Pioneer on a somewhat older Thinkpad, too. Crashes within a couple of seconds or minutes, sometimes within flight, sometimes after landing, CTD with the typical Microsoft message. Tried to play with minimum parameters, no change.

It's a 1.5 GHz Intel CPU, 1 GB RAM, ATI 7500 Mobility, XP, also plenty of disk space. It's a shame, because Pioneer plays great even on that PC, as long as it lasts. I assume Pioneer is simply not compatible with the old graphics card - or does anyone have an idea?

ReplyQuote
Ziusudra
(@ziusudra)
Senior Chief Registered

The first is a known issue, #1062. Though it is interesting that it only started happening for you with alpha 23 dev builds. Are you using the builds from here?

BTW, an actual version number is more useful than "latest drivers".

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Problem was traced to a Radeon driver bug. A workaround has been implemented and is in the latest nightly. Please try it and let us know how it goes: https://sourceforge.net/projects/pionee ... s/nightly/

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 6