Notifications
Clear all

Missions and FP

XenonS
(@xenons)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi,

switching around from various space games (parkan, salvation prophecy, parkan2 etc...) and doing some Mods along the way, I also spend much time with Pioneer, I must say with every start I'm impressed by the grafics compared to the old Frontier II. Really nice work 😎

I have 2 questions :

a) missions:

are the Military Missions from Frontier 2 aready implemented? I mean those where you must deliver secret items, photograph bases, I think these were done for the "Royal Navy" in F2 (?). I couldn't find them on the News Board, maybe I must go in special places?

b) First Person Mode

I wonder why the devs always get like an electrical shock when questions come about implementing a FP mode on planets 🙂 Is that so terribly difficult to code or what else?

What about creating a new ship that would be a JETPACK ? The low gravity on planets is just an argument to say "one cannot easily step foot on a planet...", but sorry, these are excuses not arguments.

So, the Jetpack would have very low acceleration / deceleration values in order not to fly into space.

The big problem (in coding) would be: what happens to your main ship ?! Well, it would be in the shipyard for selling 🙂 But who cares? You want to walk on the planet, right ?! Doing some race contest between buildings, shooting around to get police ships on your way, so that even there's no necessity to code some extra missions...

OK, I stop dreaming, but my main question remains:

Why do the devs are so scary about the possible player's ability to leave the ship ?

Greets,

XenonS

fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

It's not that people don't want it as such, it's that there's a lot of other things that need doing to make the core gameplay and technology more complete and adding in another entire set of features would distract from that work.

Having roving surface action would be cool it just opens up other problems.

Also, what do you do with it? You arrive at a planet, dock, get out and then...walk for a bit?

If you want to write something that uses it then go ahead, I've taken a look before now and Zugz actually had a branch, called "Eva", where it was implemented and you floated over the surface of the world in a big ball 🙂

Also it's not really what the focus of Pioneer has been so far.

If you want to then add it, but most of the people on the team haven't really been that interested in it.

Andy

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

I'm mostly against it because this is a space game. If we try to be all kinds of games, we'll end up being crap at them all. I'd much prefer to focus on cool things to do in space.

But that's my own opinion, and a nice implementation would go a long way towards changing my mind 🙂

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

An old Gernot model that I used as escape pod. Maybe you can "walk" on an asteroid.

I'll see if I can find and update for Alpha 30.

Developers are strange people, but my psychiatrist adores.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)
Topic starter  

What about my idea with a "Jetpack" ship? would this work as I mentioned ?

And: What would I do with it? Well, things get going when doing...Der Weg ist das Ziel. Also: Noctis has gone that way and had a good feedback.

Walterar,

I see now that this has been tryed yet. Very interesting! I first thought that modding the outside camera could give me something getting close to that idea: afterall it's all a question of player's perception. But the simplest idea is to just implement another ship to give the same sensation, thus: a jetpack.

Another thing, very small in comparison, that I miss in Pioneer is:  I remember the most fascinating thing I watched in Frontier 2 was the purple spot of my own ship in the orbit view: when I accelerate time, I could simulate Planet Swinging like it is done today with satellites. Very unfortunately this has been dropped in FFE, a reason why FFE didn't attrack me the same way. Here also one could ask: what do you do with that ...but that's how space things work. Also: I always see real astronauts walking out of their ships...

Are the Military missions planned in long term (or already there)?

Thanks,

XenonS

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

"And: What would I do with it?"

Well, you can incorporate it into your Pioneer setup in MOD format. Then you land with the ship that you use on the planet you want. Then turn your ship in "it" and go for a walk.

You can do it with a simple console command or writing a module that uses it in certain circumstances.

"Are the Military missions planned in long term (or already there)?"

Before Christmas I will release, MOD format, a new module of Scout missions. Hope you like it as much as me. 🙂

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)
Topic starter  

walterar,

thanks ! And very nice video 😎

My FP idea was more intended as a joke ,rather than something were I would spend monthes doing. But I much appreciate all your reactions. I hope you don't mind if I'm messing around with Pioneer getting my idea to work 🙂

Greets,

XenonS

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)
Topic starter  

fluffyfrake,

thanks to refer me to Zugz, so I could find this thread:

http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/topic/2390-surface-exploration-idearequest/?hl=zugz#entry24281

It has already interesting ideas about this topic and also relate the real difficulties involved.

Thanks,

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

I hope you don't mind if I'm messing around with Pioneer getting my idea to work 🙂

That's what we're all doing!

ReplyQuote