Notifications
Clear all

Peoples thoughts on STARDREAMER

Page 1 / 2

OzFalcon
(@ozfalcon)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I have always been a bit annoyed with the STARDREAMER (SD) technology.

My understanding is that while in use - you are put under a kind of stasis.

Things that don't work for me are:

• Seems a bit silly when you select different SD speeds - I wouldn't imagine changing stasis on a bag of meat (you) would be very practical - or even possible!
  • Everything still ages....FAST - This is a generalization - But you missout on things.
  • It's FREE. Free is normaly a good thing. But here it makes you feel like a bit of a cheat.

[This is just an idea - Not a suggestion - For thought upon]

Introducing:

STARDREAMER MK2

Recent technology advances in higs time banding now allow paused time compression bubbles..... yada yada yada

<SD MK2 is disabled by starports while in the saftey zone>

Keep the functionality of STARDREAM essentialy the same, But make it use FULE and compress time

rather than simply Slow time for the pilot. Ageing for the pilot/ship is magicaly paused/not affected (It is a game afterall!)

Fule can be something silly like "Unobtainium", Lasts for about a week of gameplay & Available at cost in starports.

Or it could be turned into a comodity and used as a game mechanic / mission variable.

Usage can be less efficent the faster you go.

Example:

SD Time/Unobtanium Cost

x1/0

x2/2

x3/4

x4/8

x5/16

Side end note: With SD MK2 game time could also be made to sync to a central time server. Game events could be timed rather than on a set date basis. Enableing players to share similar game events at the same time in the single player game.

THANKS

Thanks to all the people developing Pioneer. The latest Alpha30 is just great - And looks beautifull!

Keep up the great work. And I'd love to see this available as a free download on Steam - To help

attract developers (If needed) and promote awarenes in the gameing community.

robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

"Stardreamer" and the whole dream-state/stasis thing are Frontier concepts. We've never said that's how it works in Pioneer. Among the devs we just call it "timeaccel".

I don't really think of it as being an in-game mechanism, but more just a convenience for the player to keep the game moving. The only reason it has a lockout near massive bodies is because its too easy for the uninitiated to wind up inside a planet. And you can override the lock by holding Ctrl when you click the buttons.

Nothing in the game logic cares about it though. If it suits you to role-play with it a bit, feel free, but I think its very unlikely that there will ever be any in-game aspect to timeaccel.

ReplyQuote
mikehgentry
(@mikehgentry)
Senior Chief Registered

You ever thought about adding Ctrl - F keys as shortcuts to the override? It seems odd that you can't do it from the keyboard...

ReplyQuote
baobobafet
(@baobobafet)
Master Chief Registered

I do like the idea about fuel cost increasing by using the higher stardreamer settings.  Interesting idea for a difficulty setting in game?

It would definately slow down the gameplay if a pilot opted to be fuel conscious.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Why would we want to punish the player for not wanting boredom?

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

I like to pretend that my crew play zero-G ping pong during the long voyages.

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Warrant Officer Registered

I like to pretend that my crew play zero-G ping pong during the long voyages.

Looking forward to that Kroo branch of yours, if you plan to merge it to the game.

ReplyQuote
NeuralKernel
(@neuralkernel)

I think Lacrosse would be THE best sport to play in freefall... full contact, got a stick for attitude controll and can whip a ball around for reaction mass when an opponent's body isn't available...

ping pong would be OK for chidlren and elderly astronauts, though 😉

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Zero-G Paintball... or even Zero-G Frisbee!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
mikehgentry
(@mikehgentry)
Senior Chief Registered

Skateboarding / BMX.

"He's going for the octuple backflip to fifty-fifty grind again. So conservative..."

😎

ReplyQuote
Metamartian
(@metamartian)

nah, tiddlywinks man!

ReplyQuote
NeuralKernel
(@neuralkernel)

I wonder if the Stardreamer should help with G tolerance as well as biological stasis. Some (most?) of these ships would kill any human pilot at full power.

I personally like the idea of changing the "Thrust Limiter" to an "afterburner", with the default thrust of a ship being 5% or 10% what it is now and pressing SHIFT should increase thrust up to the current max. I'd even make the fuel consumption scale exponentially with the thrust... make high G manuvers more expensive, basically.

Generally, I've always been uncomfortable with the idea of subjecting a human pilot to the forces one of the Ships in Pioneer can produce, no way I would be able to survive a flight from LA to Discovery Station in the starting ELRF without a LOT of training and life support equipment!

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Looking forward to that Kroo branch of yours, if you plan to merge it to the game.

Well, when it's more complete I do plan to make a pull request. Actual merge depends upon review. It's like sitting a test. (-:

ReplyQuote
baobobafet
(@baobobafet)
Master Chief Registered

Why would we want to punish the player for not wanting boredom?

Not about boredom It's about tactical.

Why wouldn't I just slam into every planet using the stardreamer and autopilot, In fact  why bother having ANY realtime piloting?

My point is if you happen to be low on fuel you would essentially get a bonus for traveling at a lower stardreamer speed.

Not that you can't join a fuel club - still - I think if one is piloting manually in realtime there should be some perk.

Maybe if you overuse the stardreamers high setting your fuel should spring the occasional leak?

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Why wouldn't I just slam into every planet using the stardreamer and autopilot, In fact  why bother having ANY realtime piloting?
My point is if you happen to be low on fuel you would essentially get a bonus for traveling at a lower stardreamer speed.

You have that right now. Its manual piloting. You can fly more efficiently than the autopilot. The tradeoff is that it can be tricky to hit a target in the distance.

Not that you can't join a fuel club - still - I think if one is piloting manually in realtime there should be some perk.
Maybe if you overuse the stardreamers high setting your fuel should spring the occasional leak?

How does that make any sense at all?

Ok, I was polite above. Let me restate it. Unless someone arrives with a patch, this will not happen. Even then it probably won't happen, because there's pretty much no support for it among the core devs.

Feel free to continue talking amongst yourselves 🙂

ReplyQuote
baobobafet
(@baobobafet)
Master Chief Registered

If you can get better fuel efficiency in manual piloting traveling on fumes to reach a landing pad that would using autopilot or stardreamer cause you to run empty just slightly before reaching such a destination.

Then there is nothing to add.

Imagining a ship's hull would be subjected to a lot more stresses, micrometeor impacts, radiation over longer periods of time in space - these would logically create abnormal wear and tear on systems and hull.

The stardreamer might realistically reflect that by having relevant ship failures such as fuel leaks or structural integrity issues. Not having a shield on your ship could make this worse.

Anyways I'm not onboard with the whole concept here - but this part about fuel consumption is interesting.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

If you can get better fuel efficiency in manual piloting traveling on fumes to reach a landing pad that would using autopilot or stardreamer cause you to run empty just slightly before reaching such a destination.
Then there is nothing to add.

This is the case. Piloting manually, you can be extraordinarily efficient with propellant. When travelling on fumes, the autopilot is not likely to be your friend.

Imagining a ship's hull would be subjected to a lot more stresses, micrometeor impacts, radiation over longer periods of time in space - these would logically create abnormal wear and tear on systems and hull.

A week in space is a week in space, regardless of whether you had to sit through it in a week, a day, an hour or a couple of minutes. When you accelerate time in Pioneer, you accelerate everything with it. Planets, ships, laser blobs, missiles, bulletin boards, scripted events - even fuel use. They all get sped up with the clock.

The stardreamer might realistically reflect that by having relevant ship failures such as fuel leaks or structural integrity issues. Not having a shield on your ship could make this worse.

Anyways I'm not onboard with the whole concept here - but this part about fuel consumption is interesting.

The stardreamer has one effect. Time speeds up. This is so that the player doesn't have to sit staring, bored, at the screen while their ship appears to sit still in deep space. A bored player isn't a player for long.

If there's a random chance per minute that your hull will be damaged, or your fuel leaks, this will also be sped up by the stardreamer, without requiring any additional magic. Those features could be added (it's really not hard, a ten line script could do it) but they should not be caused by the time accelerator.

ReplyQuote
Metamartian
(@metamartian)

A bored player isn't a player for long.

Amen to that. In actual fact I love the stardreamer and wish there was another couple of notches more past max.

ReplyQuote
baobobafet
(@baobobafet)
Master Chief Registered

No slight at ALL to the Stardreamer - and I too would like to have a few speed-up features added.  I'm glad there's some scripting to increase the chance of damage over time - that's the main thing.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

No slight at ALL to the Stardreamer - and I too would like to have a few speed-up features added.  I'm glad there's some scripting to increase the chance of damage over time - that's the main thing.

I didn't say that. I said, "Those features could be added."

Feel free to add them. Scripting in Lua is not difficult.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Amen to that. In actual fact I love the stardreamer and wish there was another couple of notches more past max.

There is actually one additional notch, 100000x, which you see in action during hyperspace. Unfortunately the autopilot gets harder and harder to make work the higher the timeaccel goes (and remember, the same autopilot has to drive non-player ships around as well). I doubt we'll ever see higher timeaccel multipliers available.

ReplyQuote
baobobafet
(@baobobafet)
Master Chief Registered

I didn't say that. I said, "Those features could be added."

Feel free to add them. Scripting in Lua is not difficult.

Guess I misunderstood you had already added some lua script that added damage to drives over time.

One aspect, any damage 'roll of dice' probably should take into account in such a lua script would be if you were travelling below peak thrust power on any extended journey.

- otherwise you may hear Scotty sayin 'Ach the bearings won't take anymore at this speed captain!' - even if he's technically in stardreamer sleep.

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

Stardreamer is not cryo sleep, but more of a reduced metabolism/cognitive activity. Obvious book references to similar mechanisms would be the golden age and Takeshi Kovacs series.

It is not a case where the universe speeds up, it is the pilot slows down - but keeps conscience. You could add a cost to do so (some drug needed?), but it would be strange it would make any difference to the ship.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Its not part of the game. Its a UI function. I don't understand where the confusion is coming from.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Indeed, it's just there to alleviate boredom for the player.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2