Clear all

Quick Mars mod

Page 1 / 2

shadmar
(@shadmar)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

marsmod1.png

1. Place this hmap in your data/heightmaps : https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11319604/mars.zip

2. Replace this Mars section in data/systems/00_sol.lua :

local mars = CustomSystemBody:new('Mars', 'PLANET_TERRESTRIAL')
height_map('mars.hmap',0) --
:inclination(math.deg2rad(1.85))
axial_tilt(fixed.deg2rad(f(2519,100)))
ice_cover(f(478,1000)) --
:life(f(1,100))

walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

With the purpose of promoting the system mod Pioneer, I took the boldness to package it in that format. This makes it easier for everyone to try. I hope you do not mind. 🙂

Download: Mars-Shadmar.zip

Really worth a try.

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Topic starter  

@shadmar

with the same method , can't you try to resolve the problem of the non-atmospher on Jupiter ? 

Not by this, but by solving  https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/issues/1906#issuecomment-12195666 we could create really soft and fluffy gas giants which would appear clear from above and foggy gasy near surface.

Then apply the shaders from https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/issues/1915 + some more to identify gas giants in shaders.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

I installed it using walterar's mod conversion. Best. Mars. Ever!

ReplyQuote
Metamartian
(@metamartian)

Shadmar, I have a request. Is it possible to create a fairly large crater on Titan? I would like a crater on titan that I can place a spaceport called Misplaced Optimism in the middle of to replicate the set up for an old game called Hardwar.

The map can be found here.

I'm not too concerned about all the other craters, just one large enough that can fit a space port in to start with.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Titan has few visible craters, and those that are there are showing good signs of age, just like those on Earth. That's weather for you. (-:

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

This is a version of Quick Mars combined with the Hometowns mod for those who want to use them both at the same time. The file is named Hometowns_alpha31dev_ShadMars_mod.zip.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=e60873e0de55c3cd#cid=E60873E0DE55C3CD&id=E60873E0DE55C3CD!110

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Topic starter  

Shadmar, I have a request. Is it possible to create a fairly large crater on Titan? I would like a crater on titan that I can place a spaceport called Misplaced Optimism in the middle of to replicate the set up for an old game called Hardwar.

I'm not too concerned about all the other craters, just one large enough that can fit a space port in to start with.

I made a little Latitude / Logitude tracker that tracks the ships lat/long pos on the planet so I can carefully position objects (like a city or building), so this should now be possible to try 🙂

On Titan a city sized creater would be 1-2 pixels on a 4096 resolution heightmap. So understand the need for this. Now It should only require to fly to the point of position and write down the coordiantes to place it.

Here is btw New Hope's real position : (it's always automaticly relocated becuase the original position is in the ocean) :

:latitude(math.deg2rad(-32.578))

:longitude(math.deg2rad(90.12)),

gbnh.png

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

I thought that something like that was already in the game somewhere, accessible by an arcane key combination I've long since forgotten. It looks awesome. Coincidentally, before logging on I was flying over Mars, autopilot going around the planet, looking at the terrain go by in the bottom view when I realized, this is the actual terrain of Mars! Wouldn't it be cool to visit Gale Crater and land where Curiosity was sitting 1187 years ago? I'd love to compare the views!

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Mars is a very photogenic little planet 🙂

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Topic starter  

I just compiled Ae-2222 mars code, wow... : https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/pull/1333

aemars1.png

aemars2.png

aemars3.png

ReplyQuote
mrbelowski
(@mrbelowski)
Crewman Registered

Looks terrific, doesn't it.

Looking at the code added as part of the pull request, it seems to me that sorting out the hmap format is the smaller end of the problem. Finding some way to specify or generate terrain colours without having a big bunch of code to handle it for each different planet (or a colour map at some ridiculous resolution) is going to be a lot of work.

I agree that adding an entirely new chunk of terrain code specific for Mars is a bit of a hack and it'd be better done another way. However, there's only really Earth and Mars (and possibly Io, Europa and Titan) which need body-specific code to make them look right with the current engine + hmap. The stuff already in there for the Moon is probably fine for Mercury and some other grey rocky places.

Given the amount of effort it'd be to rework all this terrain code (and how long it's likely to take), I'd be tempted to merge Ae-2222's pull request so folks have a great view of Mars in the mean time.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

I agree that adding an entirely new chunk of terrain code specific for Mars is a bit of a hack and it'd be better done another way. However, there's only really Earth and Mars (and possibly Io, Europa and Titan) which need body-specific code to make them look right with the current engine + hmap.

Moon needs its heightmap to look anything like the moon we know. People are going to be more familiar with it than they are with Mars. So we have two heightmap formats and two generators to deal with them.

If the Mars heightmap were smaller I might consider it. As it is, it will blow out the download size significantly.

If I were to merge the code to support a Mars heightmap mod, then we're in the position where we have to maintain some rather complex code to support something we don't even ship. We're not resourced for that.

Personally I'd prefer to do away with heightmaps entirely, and make sure our terrain generators can generate even more interesting and plausible terrains. I'd also love to remove Sol entirely so there's no expectation of things looking a particular way. These are not popular ideas however, so I don't push it 🙂

Given the amount of effort it'd be to rework all this terrain code (and how long it's likely to take), I'd be tempted to merge Ae-2222's pull request so folks have a great view of Mars in the mean time.

We're not in any hurry 🙂

ReplyQuote
mrbelowski
(@mrbelowski)
Crewman Registered

Fair enough 🙂

Any plan to merge Shadmar's Mars mod into Master? Players might wonder where the terrain Mars movie on http://pioneerspacesim.net/ came from. Blimey, I sound like a right Mars obsessive 🙂

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Any plan to merge Shadmar's Mars mod into Master?

Is there a pull request? I can't see one, but I may have missed it.

ReplyQuote
mrbelowski
(@mrbelowski)
Crewman Registered

Doh, you're right, no pull request

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

I've looked at Outerra's terrain compression system before but it's way down my todo list! If we need heightmaps, then they should be one format and colour should come from a high level texture.

I just need an extra 9 hours of coding time per day to get everything done 🙁

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

This is stunning work guys!

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Topic starter  

Moon needs its heightmap to look anything like the moon we know. People are going to be more familiar with it than they are with Mars. So we have two heightmap formats and two generators to deal with them.

If the Mars heightmap were smaller I might consider it. As it is, it will blow out the download size significantly.

Yes I'd also prefer one unified hmap format with one generator wich could handle several modes for different types of fractals.

Is there a pull request? I can't see one, but I may have missed it.

Yeah it's kind of the earths' hmap generator, it doesn't look half as nice as the one Ae-2222 did. Should stay as a mod I think until we have something better.

Looks terrific, doesn't it.

Yeah, mars was my first stop in Pioneer, I wish it was close to this 🙂

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Topic starter  

Debug info view now includes planetary coordinates.

If you grab a nightly you can hit CTRL+I  fly to the crater (if you can find one)  on titan, write down the latitude and longitude coordinates and just place a starport at these coordinates..

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Players might wonder where the terrain Mars movie on http://pioneerspacesim.net/ came from. Blimey, I sound like a right Mars obsessive 🙂

That movie is all procedural with no heightmaps 🙂  Check the date it's all old stuff thats been around for 2 years 😉

If someone wants to play with the seeds it will look like that again.

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Topic starter  

Yeah what happend those terrains, the one in that video looks really great 🙂

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

It used to use this terrain: TerrainHeightMountainsNormal  with the desert-like colour scheme. And the only way to change a planet's chosen terrain is with the planet's conditions and the random seed.

So some brave soul needs to fly around Ctrl+F10 - ing the hard-coded worlds and changing the seeds. 🙂

It's a simple change that anyone can make until we get the real mars stuff finaly in 🙂

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Some brave soul really needs to extend the system defs to accept a real specification, rather than a seed.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Some brave soul really needs to extend the system defs to accept a real specification, rather than a seed.

That would indeed be the best option, but some brave soul has to be arsed first 😉

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2