Notifications
Clear all

Drew's Art Development Blog

DrewSector13
(@drewsector13)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hello everyone,

I'm starting a thread to show off some of the awesome work that is in development by Sector 13's team of talented artists! I'll be posting my work here as well as the work by our team of artists that are working hard to make Sector 13's artistic vision a reality!

We use a wide variety of tools, including 3D Studio Max, Photoshop, Maya, Substance Painter, and of course, the Unity 3D editor as well. 

I'll start off with a recent production render to show off the "look" of the Starfighters when equipped with hardpoint weapons, but the majority of posts in this thread will most likely be in-progress shots of assets are they are being developed, so you can see the process of how an asset goes from idea to prefab to in-game awesomeness! Please feel free to ask questions or let us know when there is something you'd like to see more of or know more about!

Here is in-game Rapier model, with mounted offensive hardpoint weapons. We also have a variety of defensive hardpoints that will be shown in future images. Rendered in 3DS Max, edited in photoshop, but the models and skins are the ones that are used in-game:

O1ytiLq.jpg

dazzytech
(@dazzytech)
Petty Officer Registered

Looks pretty sweet.

ReplyQuote
DrewSector13
(@drewsector13)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks Dazzytech!

We also have a new arena that we are building in Unity at the moment - the Ice Fields of Kamma Dore. Here is an in-editor shot of our more recent ice shader test (Work In Progress - compare this shot to the soon-to-be-seen final FX):

FnRUqpr.jpg

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Will you be able to blow the ice up a bit? Looks a little compact in there. But overall the level seems to be coming together nicely, nice job.

ReplyQuote
RomeoBravo
(@romeobravo)
Crewman Registered

Because of the multiplayer aspect unfortunately you won't be able to permanently blow apart large chunks of the arena geometry, but the ice will crack sand splinter in reaction to various impacts. There will be various particle and other effects that won't have to be precisely network synced, so it'll at least feel visceral.

ReplyQuote
DrewSector13
(@drewsector13)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Today I wanted to show how a Starfighter will look with both offensive and defensive hardpoints mounted. In this render is a Guardian Starfighter from the GCDF Faction (Galactic Confederal Defense Force) with standard weapons + beam rifles slung under the wing and corrosion cloud dispenser hardpoints mounted up top.

Again, all in-game models and assets used, rendered in 3DS Max with post done in Photoshop:

Yt4Ba5A.jpg

ReplyQuote
DrewSector13
(@drewsector13)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Today I'm working on the skin for another hardpoint weapon to be mounted on the Starfighters. This time it is a Vulcan Gun-style mounted gun. WIP shot from 3DS Max:

VvadJ84.jpg

ReplyQuote