Notifications
Clear all

HellFighter 32 (Now with pictures!)

Piippo
(@piippo)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Game is called HellFighter (32). See further down this thread for details.

Original post:So I remember playing an old space battle game as a little kid back in the day (read: very late 1990's or early 2000's), and I figured what better place to get it named than here.

So the game was in 2D, and you controlled a single space ship which was a part of a bigger fleet. In (what I assume was) the main menu, you could choose different battle scenarios. In the menu, the quantity and formation of the space ships in the scenario was shown in a little map with red and green arrows indicating the ships. The scenarios all took place in empty space, with a plain black background with white dots as 'stars'. Depending on which 'map' you chose, you flew a different ship. It could be a fighter-type small, agile ship (armed with bullets and missiles) or a bigger, 'mother-ship' like juggernaut armed with lasers and railguns.

The smaller ships were all drawn (i.e. they had different looks) and had a green/brown/grey color scheme, but the bigger ships were just white or red geometrical shapes. As for different ship types I remember at least: a basic fighter with chainguns+missiles, a small ship that fired short-range burst attacks and a bigger "mothership" that allowed smaller ships to enter it (as it was just a geometrical shape, "entering" it was simply occupying the same space as it).

At the time, I hardly knew any English, so I have no idea if the game hade any backstory/plot or similar. I assume the objective in the scenarios was to annihilate all opponents, but I think I had to manually abort the mission after all the foes were dead, so go figure.

I'd really appreciate if anyone would have any information of this game. Not being able to identify it is really annoying me.

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Hello Piippo

The game sound like a shareware or free one, the only game I can think of is Line Space Wars

http://www.bimboosoft.com/LSW/

But probably not that as I think it appeared much later than the late 90s/2000.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Could it be the LineWars games? I know myself I need a little bit more to go on because there was a lot of games released during that time period.

Both games are in the download area.

ReplyQuote
Piippo
(@piippo)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Nope, neither of those.

Some good news, though: I somehow miraculously found the ages-old computer I used to play the game with, and managed to salvage the hard drive. Still working on actually connecting it to my current PC, and there's no guarantee the game is still in there somewhere, but one can hope 😀 Maybe I can finally solve this.

ReplyQuote
Piippo
(@piippo)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

I DID IT! I succesfully connected the old HD to my PC, and there it was!

The game is called HellFighter 32 and it really looks like a personal gamemaking project rather than a commercial game. Also, it's not on any game list found on this site. By googling, I found the creator's website: http://www.dracova.com/hellfighter/ , but it seems the developer shut down the project (I think he was developing a 3D version of the game). The site has no pictures of the game, but I can try taking some screenshots if you want.

There is a download available on the site for those curious who want to try it out, but I'm not sure the links work (it's a very old website). If they don't work, I can send you the files in .zip format via email 😀

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Good job finding the game and website Piippo 😀

The download link worked for me.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Nice find Piippo.

Well I added this game to the game list and I also uploaded it to the file area. Will have to give this a try sometime when I have time to sit down and see if I can get it to run on Win7 🙂

ReplyQuote
Piippo
(@piippo)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

It seems that the downloadable version is different from the one I had on my hard drive. I think I have an older version or something. For comparison, I took a few screenshots of the game menus in both versions:

My version from the hard drive:

The Main Menu (+a note that pops up when I press 'Network') There should be a background picture in the menu, but for some reason it didn't capture on the screenshot.

52zx2e.png

The Game Menu

14sgk9g.png

The download-able version:

The Loading Screen

f1gt8w.png

The Main Menu (i.e. online menu)

9zsao.png

The Game Menu

2a6mm3s.png

No in-game pictures, sorry. My Win7 screwed up the screenshots. I tried with screen recoding software, but to no avail. Ther gameplay is largely identical in both versions, other than some missing textures in the download version.

ReplyQuote