Notifications
Clear all

Starfire

Anonymous
Topic starter  

Long time ago in galaxy far, far away... There was a game called "Starfire":

Quote:
STARFIRE is an original game of starship combat and interstellar empire building. Originally written by Steve Cole in 1976, the game system was expanded in the 1980's and 1990's and based on the books by David Weber. In 2000 GALACTIC STARFIRE was released, which has evolved into the current ULTRA STARFIRE edition.

STARFIRE's unique combat system allows players to build their own fleets of starships and annihilate those fleets in only a few hours play time. Fans of 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate) games will enjoy that STARFIRE has a campaign system that allows you to build an alien empire, control every facet of its development, and attempt to conquer a galaxy full of players and/or non-players alike.

http://www.starfiredesign.com/

Anybody heard or played it?

-3331-

LadynightShade
(@ladynightshade)
Master Chief Registered

can't say i have thanks for the up 🙂

ReplyQuote
LCCX
 LCCX
(@lccx)
Crewman Registered

No, I have not played it before, but I see that there is a Vassal Engine module with part of it: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Starfire

ReplyQuote
solidcordon
(@solidcordon)
Crewman Registered

I have a copy of this kicking about somewhere.

plus some of the campaign books.

It's pretty much a shorthand version of star fleet battles but with the engagement sizes suggested in the source books the playtime would be significantly longer.

The 4x side of the game was ripe for conversion to computer, it's A LOT of dicerolls to generate your systems followed by a lot of accountancy.

David Weber the scifi author uses the starfire universe for several military scifi books.

A long time ago... I found a visual basic program that automated a lot of the drudge work but the interface was a little problematic and it's gone the way of all unused data on my machine.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
Topic starter  

David Weber with Steve White. Insurrection, Crusade, In Death Ground and Shiva Option.

ReplyQuote