Notifications
Clear all

reCAPTCHA

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

The reCAPTCHA went haywire again today - took me nearly an hour (on and off) to log in. Along the way, I was directed to this page several times. Any ideas, D1? Has anyone else had trouble? I don't think it's a problem at my end.

Oolite Naval Attaché

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Hmm, I login to the website several times a day usually and usually need to interact with the recaptcha stuff sometimes it will have me do the images other times not. There has been 1 or 2 occasions I had to use that reset/refresh button to give me a different captcha images. But I have always been able to login. I have done no updates that would impact that functionality recently and my API keys are still good to my knowledge.

You don't happen to have a slower connection do you @Cody? I doubt SSC is under attack from spammers because I can usually view or login the site without issues. What I will do is flush all the site caches and maybe that will help you maybe the system has a old stored session of yours that could be causing issues.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @sscadmin

You don't happen to have a slower connection do you?

I'm on copper (ADSL) - 20 down, 1 up. Only took a few attempts to log in this morning.

It can be infuriating! Just as I hit Verify, the images morph and I have to start again.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Just for you @Cody I have disabled captcha on login, it should only be active on registration and reset passwords.... but if I start getting hammered with spam I might put it back on 🙂

Yeah that connection you have is a bit slow (especially that 1mbs upload) I think that is your problem, because recaptcha loads images and sometimes it will reload more asking you to click certain ones.... and if that reload is slow for you you will miss that internal timer they got and you will fail it 🙁

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks, D1 - though that should be speedy enough. As it happens, I'm relocating next week and I'll be switching to fibre (FTTC), which means a considerable increase in speed, both down and up (35/10). Give it ten days, then try again, eh?

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

I'm no fan of captchas, but I understand the need. Thing is, reCAPTCHA is another of google's damn tentacles, and I am very anti-google. This Wiki article makes interesting reading - if like me, you don't have a google account, it gets harder.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Posted by: @cody

Give it ten days, then try again, eh?

Sure just give me a heads up when you got your new connection and we will do a test and see how you do with captcha turned on

Thing is, reCAPTCHA is another of google's damn tentacles

I try to limit my exposure, I have been using the Brave browser which has been good about blocking everything and you can even earn a little BAT token on the side for just using it. It looks like that article that v3 of recaptcha will be snooping around.... I used v2 right now so I will stay with this as long as I can sometimes the corporate overloads make you upgrade to continue to use their services 😉 damn big brother always has us by the balls

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

I have been using the Brave browser which has been good about blocking everything

I'm currently using Waterfox (+uBlockOrigin+NoScript), but it's becoming increasingly difficult to evade the tentacles. Sometimes, I despair of the internet - such a useful tool, but now mostly full of mierda, and once-trusted news sites packed with rubbish articles about "influencers" and "youtube stars" and "celebrities", not to mention politics/government by tweet. And corporations like google want to own and control it. "All your data belong to us". I feel like climbing on the roof with a loudhailer and shouting "Wake up, sheeple!" - but it's already too late.

Bah! Rant over, I need a smoke!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Had to re-enable @Cody, seeing a pickup in spam posts already. I will try to look for a different solution I have always like the question/answer captcha and I will see if wordpress has one 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Had to re-enable...

I've just this morning got back online (FTTC 35/10), and no problems so far.

The stress and trauma of relocating has been worth it, although I'm still unpacking. I'm getting far too old for crawling around on the floor behind the desk, plumbing-in computer/peripherals and engaging the dreaded cable&dust monster in mortal combat. From the town centre (and the roughest ward in the borough), I've migrated out to the leafy suburbs - bliss!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Congrats on the move and the slightly faster internet 🙂

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Slightly? <chuckles>

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Slightly? <chuckles>

Haha sorry Cody .... I just took it for granted most of Europe had pretty fast internet and I was actually shocked at your internet speed when you mentioned your upload/download speeds. Because I hear in the news how USA is behind in the whole 5G thing compared to Europe and Asia so I just took it for granted everyone over there was faster than me 🙂

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

On average, I think we are faster this side of the pond - but I ain't too sure about that. We might well be cheaper too (I pay £30pm including landline rental). If I was into online gaming, I'd have gone for the 66/17 (FTTC) package (no FTTP here just yet).

Zen Internet - Auummmm!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Is browser speed significant when all you are trying to do is click on all the squares with a mosquito in them?

Depends how fast the bloody mosquito is...

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote