Notifications
Clear all

Chris Roberts Star Citizen

Page 14 / 18

auryx
(@auryx)
Warrant Officer Registered

Butt uglyl?!? That's my ship you're talking about, flyboy!

Tempted to purchase the DUR upgrade. It's all about the exploration 🙂

auryx

You look good through a crosshair.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I will stick with the Max, have a 315P for exploring

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Butt uglyl?!? That's my ship you're talking about, flyboy!

Same here but it still looks like a Toad

Temped by the Max one.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Well it's been called worse than that!   At the end of the day I bought it as a bread & butter ship. Its the thing that makes the money to run the other ships and its also one of the biggest ships you can get that can be flown alone effectively. I think the Starfarer is the other, but that was crazy money. The Max variant should be able to cart enough crap to get me by in the game.

ReplyQuote
Stormprooter
(@stormprooter)
Master Chief Registered

AC is unplayable with my X52 HOTAS 🙁

Please don't tell me it's a config issue, because it isn't - it's an issue with response curves and non-linearity specific to the standard X52.

I really don't want to have to play the game with a gamepad or a mouse - that's just not my bag.

Hoping it gets fixed in the next patch (which CIG have said it should be)

Until then, they can keep their shiny sparkly ships and other gimmicks.

Apologies if the above is a bit more negative than usual - I think I'm getting grumpy in my old age, and I am tiring rather quickly of the CIG hype-machine.

ReplyQuote
Ambrosius
(@ambrosius)
Senior Chief Registered

LOL.  It's so easy to be "the next great thing" -- until you have to actually deliver something other than funding updates.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Has not done their funding they are upto $46 million now https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13944-Letter-From-The-Chairman-46-Million

n my last letter, just a few days ago, I wrote that the Freelancer seems to be a hit. Let’s modify that: at $46 million, we have solid proof that our “interstellar pickup truck” is a superstar! Thank you for your support. It’s especially gratifying to see that backers are interested in roles beyond traditional space combat; the success of the trading and exploration-oriented Freelancer is a good reminder that Arena Commander is just our first step into building a living universe!

The $46 million stretch goal is one of the player-voted in-game rewards. Here are the details:

• Updated Scanning Software – Chimera Communications unveiled the latest version of their SBit scanning software, also announcing a one-time free upgrade for their current and long-standing customers. The new SBit upgrade offers advanced scanning capabilities for prospecting asteroids above and beyond their baseline systems. SBit is a FIB-based system that floods the scan-zone with energy then processes the frequency of the energy reflected back, providing the operator with a composite sketch of potential ore deposits. With the new version, Chimera included an updated library of searchable frequencies as well as variable scan sizes, allowing smaller surface, higher-resolution scans. The general public will be able to purchase the update when SBit is officially released.

Ret_greybox_weapons_bay.jpg

The winner of the last letter’s commercial poll is the Retaliator! (It was neck and neck with the Avenger until pulling away at the last minute.) As a result, it will be the next commercial we put into production following the Constellation and Cutlass. Our writers are already busy imagining how to put together a cool and different commercial for the bomber!

In honor of the poll, I’d like to share a couple of images of the Retaliator. You’re looking at an in-engine shot of an early model and a view of the internal weapons bay. These images are actually a few weeks old; I’ve asked the team in the UK to put together a small Retaliator gallery to show you the current status. That will be available tomorrow.

This brings me to the topic of stretch goals. When we started the Star Citizen campaign, the purpose of the stretch goals was to make things we had imagined but didn’t think we could afford possible: adding capital ship systems, studying procedural generation, hiring additional artists to build more ships at once and the like. The additional funding continues to expand the scope of the game and make what we’re doing possible… but it’s becoming more and more difficult to quantify that with more stretch goals (and to explain that to the rest of the world, which likes to focus only on how much money we’ve made.)

My preference would be to use these letters going forward to update you on what we’re already doing with the money; sharing additional parts of Star Citizen’s development. We would also continue to award flare and other extras to our backers as we hit milestones, whether they’re funding or schedule-related. If we discover additional technologies or come up with new elements to the game’s design we want to incorporate, we’ll let you know about those as they happen. But this is a decision for the community: let me know what you think in the poll below.

— Chris Roberts

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Also a new patch for Arena which looks like it address some of the issues  https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13945-Arena-Commander-Patch-Available

• PLEASE NOTE: You must now press tab to show the cursor when the Arena Commander menu is open in the cockpit.
  • New Features/Fixes
    • Vanduul no longer show as committing suicide when defeating them with missiles
    • Added “Invert Flight Mouse” and “Invert Flight Controller” options to game settings screen
    • Helmet animation plays when putting on the helmet now
    • Ejection now counts towards player death
    • Added an expanded X52 mapping
    • Lighting fixes for AMD machines
    • Improved Aurora mount/dismount/idle animation
    • Increased fuel tank capacity to allow for longer afterburner use
    • Improved Thruster Animations
    • Improved Holoship destruction
    • Player is now able to access the scoreboard whilst waiting on respawn
    • Improvements on overlapping ship audio SFX
    • Fixed crashes when match round ends
    • 300i seat animations now added and improved
    • Entering 300i and Aurora with your helmet now displays the HUD on the helmet
    • Removed debug text from X55 HOTAS in key binding menu
  • Known Issues

• Hangar:
    • Buggy can only move when using boost in the business hangar
    • Audio missing from legacy Aurora control panels when sit/standing in pilot seat
    • CF-117 Badger repeater geometry becomes offset when fired from firing range
    • Red replace me ball shown beneath DFM Trainer Hornet
    • Texture z-fighting appearing in DFM Trainer Aurora cockpit
    • Third person camera view can roll using Q and E

• Vanduul swarm
    • Aurora boost level decreases when not using boost
    • Boost level not shown while flying 300i
  • Multiplayer
    • Aurora boost level only shown as decreasing after first death
    • Other ships can appear to rotate when they actually are not
    • Scoreboard info not shown if round ends while outside of ship

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Roberts interview with Gamespot from a couple of days ago.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

New ship? some thing called a Xi'An Scout https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13954-XiAn-Scout-Available

Greetings Citizens,

We are excited to announce that the first concept model of the Xi’An Khartu-al scout is now available !

As part of the development process, our artists first create a ‘concept model’ to show how a ship will work before beginning work on the finished game-ready mesh. That’s what you’re seeing today: the concept model for the scout that lets us see how its unusual thruster configurations, cockpit, landing gear and more will function!

Here’s the original description of the Scout from the Stretch Goal that added it. The goal is to build alien ships that fly totally differently than those you already know; something that Star Citizen’s robust physics simulation allows us to do!

The Khartu is the light attack craft of the Xi’An military. Contrary to Human ship design, the Khartu doesn’t have a traditional main thruster, instead featuring an array of maneuvering thrusters on articulated rigs. This design allows for incredible agility, making them the bane of UEE pilots, who bestowed the nickname ‘Quark’ because when all of the thrusters are firing, the ship looks like a spark flying through space. The Xi’An Aopoa corporation also manufactures an export model, the Khartu-al, for sale to human civilians as a dedicated scout/explorer. The export model features the same Xi’An maneuvering rig, but control surfaces modified for human use and a more limited armament.

We’ve also found some rough footage from a UEE reconnaissance drone, available below; this is a pre-viz of how the Khartu should function in-game!

Xi’An Scout concept sale

Want your own scout? The Aopoa Corporation has made another allotment available for the export market! They’re not ready for the Hangar or Arena Commander yet, but we’re adding them to the pledge store for this week (through Friday, June 27.) Get yours now and you can be the first to fly when it’s ready!

Karthu-Al.png

Xi’An Scout The Khartu is the light attack craft of the Xi’An military.

Press here to purchase.

Video of it

You know me thinks some one at RSI has been watching the lost in space film.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

PINBACK wrote:
New ship? some thing called a Xi'An Scout

They were selling Scouts already in November

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

They were selling Scouts already in November

I believe you are right but was it not just a pre order? back in Nov.

Forgot to post about this, about the flight model and controls in the game apparently their was some shouting going on about it. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13951-Flight-Model-And-Input-Controls

It’s really great to see so many of you taking to space to try out the first taste of what space combat will be in Star Citizen. I, like the rest of the team have been avidly watching the Twitch streams of backers playing and reading the forums for your feedback. Two of the hot topics of debate have been the Flight Model and the advantage or disadvantage of various input devices. So I thought I would take a moment of your time to share some insight on the two topics.

Flight Model

Most space games (including my past ones) greatly simplify the simulation, usually as an atmospheric flight model without gravity and air resistance – ships have predefined pitch, roll and yaw rates, linear acceleration (that is applied to a simplified point mass) and a capped top speed. When you want to turn, the joystick or mouse input is mapped directly to the specified turn rate irrelevant of the ship’s moment of inertia. Damage is usually handled as a multiplier on the turn rates and linear acceleration.

Star Citizen doesn’t do that. We model what would be needed on an actual spaceship, including correct application of thrust at the places where the thrusters are attached to the hull of the ship – in our model moment of inertia, mass changes and counter thrust are VERY necessary. Star Citizen’s physical simulation of spaceflight is based on what would actually happen in space.

There were a couple of reasons why we went this direction –

1. Because we were planning on modeling and simulating spaceships with a fidelity that hadn’t been seen before I felt we needed a simulation that would let the player have different flight behavior if a thruster is damaged, a wing is blown off or a pilot overloads his ship with weapons and ammunition? I wanted a system that could feel distinct for a huge variety of ships, with wildly different sizes and roles because in Star Citizen you can go from a single seater ship 15 meters in length to a huge capital ship over 1km in size crewed by many players. I wanted these ships to come with their own identity and feel much like similar sized cars, even if equivalent in mass can feel radically different. I wanted ships to have their own personality – not just a slower of faster version of the base ship.

2. The second is that Star Citizen will have a significant amount of player vs. player combat. I don’t know how many people played Wing Commander Armada (the first Wing Commander game to feature multiplayer) but it wasn’t that much fun in battle mode (the head to head mode). When you design a single player game you can deliberately dumb down the AI to allow the player to get on the tail and shoot down multiple enemies, which gives the player a sense of achievement. There’s nothing more fun than single handily clearing a wave of 10 enemy Kilrathi fighters. But let’s be honest, in single player games the ability for the player to gun down waves of enemies has less to do with the skill of the player because the player is usually overpowered in respect to the base enemies he will fight. You can’t do this in player vs player, and it’s likely that multiple players will have the same ship. Without a sophisticated simulation and flight model, with lots of options for a pilot to fluidly try different tactics to get the upper hand the battles can end up as a frustrating stalemate when both pilots have the same ship as no one can get on the other’s tail because you don’t have the same forces that affect air combat (namely gravity and air resistance) to bleed energy from the maneuvers.

These reasons are why we went out of our way to fully simulate the physics that would involve controlling and moving a ship in space with no short cuts.

In the very same way we also simulate the ship systems. Every function is tied to individual items that are “plugged” into the ship – the weapons, the thrusters, power plant, heat sinks, radar, fuel tank, batteries, targeting system, CPU, HUD and even the Intelligent Flight Control System (IFCS) are all items that tie into various “pipes” that connect the systems – there’s a pipe for power, heat, fuel and CPU cycles. The targeting computer needs power from the Power Plant and CPU cycles from the Ship’s Computer, positional information from the Radar to resolve targets. If there aren’t enough CPU cycles to go around the targets will resolve slower, not enough power and the targeting computer may stop functioning all together. If you don’t draw off enough heat from the weapons, they may overheat, malfunction or even become damaged. If one of your wings gets blown off with its attached heat sinks, you better scale back your heat output.

By fully simulating both the systems and physics of powered spaceflight we allow for a huge amount of emergent behavior and variety in the final game. Ship load out becomes very important not just for functionality but also for actual flight and responsiveness. Just like in real military aviation design, you could decide to have redundant systems for better battle survivability or you could maximize your hitting power at the expense of maneuverability.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Just keeps going up and up https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13971-Letter-From-The-Chairman-47-Million

We’ve hit $47 million in funding! I’m betting that means there will be more than a few Xi’An scout ships flying around in the Star Citizen universe. The Xi’An ship is one of the ones I’m most excited about, because it’s really going to show off the depth of Star Citizen’s physics engine: with its unique thruster configuration, it will use the already-developed engine to fly very differently!

Xianoldconcept.jpgInitial concept art

The Xi’An scout is a good example of how much goes into Star Citizen’s ship development process. As you may remember, we offered the scout earlier in the campaign without showing a picture. That’s because I decided the concept art we had didn’t represent the ship I wanted for this role. You can see that original art here; it’s a cool design, but didn’t get across the unique thruster system that makes the scout so special.

Scout_ship_Variation_05.jpgFinal concept design

We went back to the drawing board… and eventually got to the concept model you saw on Friday! Going forward, we plan to share all the WIP concept models in this same fashion once I believe they’re on the right track. In the case of the new scout, I’m very impressed with the work the team has done… and I can’t wait to have it flying in Arena Commander!

Moving past the scout, the $47 million stretch goal that you earned today is the last of the player-voted reward items, the Engine Tuning Kit. Here are the details:

• Engine Tuning Kit – Wilkes & Federman MaxTune Kit has become one of the best-selling starter kits for the discerning home enthusiast. Featured in Whitley’s latest Steal of the Year issue, this kit comes with everything the fledgling engineer needs to take a deeper look into the mechanics of their engine. With a Tap Analyzer, you will be able to view your engine’s current output and energy draw numbers in an easy and comprehensible way. Use the thirty-eight piece omnitool to access your engine to start tweaking. Wilkes & Federman is not responsible for damage incurred after tuning your engine. Please consult with manufacturer’s warranty before performing work.

Speaking of stretch goals, last time around we put their future up to a vote. 54% of Citizens voted that we should continue to offer goals, and we’re going to honor that choice. As I said last time, every dollar supports Star Citizen’s persistent universe… but I’m not comfortable promising additional features with each million unless they’re truly additive. When we have a new idea that really impacts the final game and needs the funding then we’ll offer it here… but you can expect a number of player rewards and new ways of highlighting Arena Commander as immediate goals!

But with the $49 million goal, we’re going to give you something that didn’t quite win the poll the last time around: the “space plant”! It’s actually a Xi’An tree, so it’s very appropriate for today’s post. Here are the details:

• Xi’An Space Plant – Similar to a bonsai tree, the Centennial Bloom is a very famous Xi’An plant indigenous to Eealus III that blossoms for one night every one hundred years. They sell the plants in sealed terrariums to traders. Ever since their introduction to the UEE, Humanity has been fascinated by these beautiful plants and the wait for them to bloom.

As always, thank you for your incredible support. We’re working hard to make Star Citizen a truly special game… but you have already made it an incredibly special community.

— Chris Roberts

A space plant.......................................just what I always wanted.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

RPS has an articles about Crytek which may be in trouble  http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/24/crytek-financial-trouble/ just wondering if they go under will it have any knock on effect for Star Citizen.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

In answer to my own question spotted this link on Incgamers the other day https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/2895381/#Comment_2895381

The answer comes from Eric Roberts on the squadron 42 forum.

We did an outright buyout of the engine last year and have the source code, so while we hope all the noise about Crytek blows over, as they are great partners and friends to the project, if the worse happened we would be ok, as we’ve already branched the engine and have a large team that is adding features and supporting it every day here at CIG. So even in the worst case scenario we should be fine, but obviously we hope it does not come to that.

Cheers,

Erin

So it looks like even if Crytek went down the game would still be safe.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Video about the asteroid hangar.

The big monthly report about of things SC https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13993-Monthly-Report-June-2014 including a bit about the FPS game with in the game.

Greetings from the FPS team at [REDACTED]! We hope you are all enjoying flying your ships in Arena Commander. It’s been really exciting to finally see you guys and gals playing the game, and hopefully enjoying the results of all the hard work that has gone into making it happen from each studio. We’ve definitely been having a blast watching your live streams… and playing along with you!

June was a very productive month for the FPS team. The artists continued to work on the space station environment. Adding props, applying materials and setting up lights to set the mood. Visual effects are also being added. This includes things like steam flowing out of vents, water dripping from pipes, dust being pulled around by pressure shifts and other details that really make the station come alive and keep it from feeling static. In addition to the environmental effects, we have also been working on first pass effects for tracer rounds, muzzle flashes, explosions and a bunch of other flashy-shiny-noisy bits. A first pass concept of the FPS HUD was also created, and we are now working on hooking it up in the game.

The animation team has been working through the mocap data, which will continue for quite some time… There’s a ton of it! They also worked with our engineers on a new way to rig weapons that helped to eliminate some pesky bugs we were running in to. With the cover system, zero-G, and the variety of weapons available, they definitely have their work cut out for them.

The design team has been tweaking the properties for a few of the weapons, mostly making sure that they feel good and are well balanced. Of course this is a continuous process that will be iterated upon all the way up to, and after, the game is released. Our design team also came up with some pretty neat concepts for possible gameplay modes.

The programming team has been implementing new features like crazy! Improvements to the cover system, zero G movement, a prone stance, energy recharge stations, HUD implementation, ammo variety system… and I could keep going. A LOT of new systems have gone into the game… and with those new systems, lots of new bugs! Just kidding, these guys do solid work and I am fairly certain that their code is completely bug free. cough cough

But in all seriousness, the FPS module is finally getting to a point where most of the core features have been implemented, at least in prototype form, and that is really exciting for us! Until next month Citizens! This is [REDACTED], over and out!

and a new patch https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13996-Star-Citizen-Patch-124-Released

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

And it's 48 mill. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14015-Letter-From-The-Chairman-48-Million

It looks like the recent Gladius and dogtags sales have pushed us over $48 million in crowd funding! The Gladius is going to be a great addition to Arena Commander; if you picked one up and helped push us to hit this goal, you won’t be disappointed! The Gladius isn’t as heavily armed as the Hornet and it can’t carry cargo like the Aurora… but it’s fast and light and should be a new way to take on Arena Commander’s head-to-head mechanic.

NF_CasabaOutlet_01bhigh.jpgStanton III - Casaba Outlet Dumpersdepot_facadeblock_final1.jpgStanton III - Dumper's Depot Abernathy-Interiors_03_BigRez_SL.jpgStanton III - Abernathy Interiors

The $48 million stretch goal was the user-voted Retaliator commercial! I’m pleased to announce that David Haddock has started scripting the Retaliator commercial. I don’t want to spoil the surprise, but we’re going in a different direction with this one!

• Retaliator Commercial – It was a close race but The Retaliator pulled ahead. The Avenger was a close second. The symbol of the United Empire of Earth’s power is the next ship to receive a slick commercial. Aegis Dynamics is in dire need of good publicity since the end of the of the Messer era. We currently have the Cutlass and the Constellation commercials in production and now the Retaliator will be added to that list.

Today, much of the team is hard at work on patch 12.5, hunting down the bugs responsible for the latency and rubber-banding currently affecting Arena Commander. The Engineering team has eliminated server CPU and network traffic as likely causes of the jumping and poor network gameplay. They have narrowed the issue’s introduction down to one of eleven possible change lists… it can’t hide from us much longer! We are adding additional debugging tools and metrics while homing in on the problem, and we’re currently digging into possible differences between remote and local simulation of ship movement which could lead to the jumping.

But Arena Commander is just the first step on the journey to Star Citizen, and we’re also continuing to look ahead and expand on the inner working of our universe. In today’s post, you can see some of the work we’ve been doing on locations. All of these stores are located on Stanton III, which the team at BHVR is building as a baseline for our planetside content.

As we promised last time, we’re going to return to our tradition of stretch goals that improve the core game. The ongoing funding keeps the project running on the scale it is today… but we’re also eager to find ways to improve what we’ve already planned. We’ve come up with one for the $50 million goal that we think will truly improve the immersion, and help make Star Citizen a living, breathing world:

• Alien Languages – Do you speak Banu? We will work with real-world linguists to create distinctive and realistic alien languages for Star Citizen’s three biggest alien races, the Vanduul, the Xi’An and the Banu. No universal translators, no garbled animal noises: Star Citizen’s aliens will be speaking their own authentic languages!

I’m excited about this one… and looking forward to meeting the first fan who learns to speak one of our languages! As always, thank you for your support. Star Citizen would not exist without our backers. Keep spreading the word!

— Chris Roberts

P.S. A special additional congratulations to our German backers for their team’s World Cup victory. Well played!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Nice vid of what you can expect to see on the planets.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

I see it being reported that they have hit the $50 million mark.

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

I see it being reported that they have hit the $50 million mark.

51 Million now.

It is a bit insane, and I kinda feel that the funding/ship ownership has become the gaming.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Pretty insane how they have just added another million in the last two days. :O

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

Pretty insane how they have just added another million in the last two days. :O

I can't help the feeling that much of that funding is going to waste, and fear that if SC doesn't deliver it may have a negative impact on the genre as a whole - including crowdfunding.

Hopefully it will succeed. 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Even if the game is successful will it live up to peoples expectations,may be the 51 million dollar question.

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

Even if the game is successful will it live up to peoples expectations,may be the 51 million dollar question.

To many people no, it is not possible, as their expectations are completely unrealistic, regardless of financial resources. Good thing is that many of those people cannot distinguish between fact and fiction, so they will be content despite their expectations not being met because they are not really aware of what they state they expect. In this group I include the "fully newtonian and realistic physic system", "fully modeled damage - no more RGN in damage" crowds (in Dilbert lingo: induhviduals).

Many will be happy by avoiding cognitive dissonance - after all if they spent all that money in a game and were so hyped by it then it must be good (regardless of whether it is actually good) - something amusingly observed when the alpha came out and some were praising the flight model and controls (a particularly amusing poster stated that he preferred to "fight the controls" than to have then behave as expected) - when even the devs stated the controls were currently "a mess/unplayable".

Other will be quite underwhelmed by what is actually delivered, as their expectations or perspective of the game is quite distinct from what SC will be. This is compounded by the vague "everything/BDSSE/..." hypetrain.

Finally (and hopefully), many players will like the game for what it is - personally I do expect that a interesting cinematic game is delivered sometime during 2016. But I admit I have more faith on SQ42 than on the PU.

ReplyQuote
Page 14 / 18