Notifications
Clear all

Frontier 30th Anniversary 2023

Page 1 / 2

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

If I'm not mistaken it will be Frontiers 30th Anniversary in October 2023 and what a perfect opportunity to do remaster of the game as they have the crappy Elite Dangerous game engine and assets to use.

And by remaster I don't mean adding any new features to the game apart from updating the combat, so instead of all that jousting nonsense that the original had you get a more playable combat game. Along with just the one cockpit for all ships, hell they could do all three game and I'm sure they could sort out any problems with Bell.

Then again I seriously doubt Frontier Developments has the savvy to do anything like that, but we can dream. 🤣       

Geraldine liked
Topic Tags
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Not sure if the purposed roadmap will allow it 🙁

Our three focuses before the year ends are launching the next phase of the narrative, stability and optimisation. We’ll release three more updates to support these. Within the narrative, human space balances on the precipice as tension mounts within the bubble. The Azimuth Saga will conclude in a grand finale event, the consequences of which will mark the beginning of the next stage of the Elite story in Update 14. Meanwhile, updates 12 and 13 will largely focus on quality-of-life changes, stability and optimisation. Work has also begun on a major feature overhaul for 2023 that we’ll discuss later in the year. Please note that the details and timings of each release are subject to change and that any adjustments will be shared ahead of time. Beyond this we are also discussing additional game content, and we’ll reveal it once confirmed.

But you never know, maybe they can have a few devs work the conversion

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

I meant to say single player and offline and it would not have nothing to do with ED.

It would be just a straight forward remake of the game, but as I said, their be more chance of finding ice cubes in hell then Frontier doing anything. 

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

This needs to be here.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Also this, the OST, starting with the best version, the Amiga soundtrack of course. 😉 

This post was modified 2 years ago by Geraldine

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

FEII <checks box> 3.5" floppy, manual, gazetteer, stories, star chart - yep, still complete!

Don't quite know why I've kept it all these years, as the game never grabbed me!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@cody 
Didn't like the Newtonian flight model? I loved it as I always, and still do, struggle with Elite 1 and EDs at times. 🙃 

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Anyways, I would love for FD to do a remaster of Elite II. I remember back, when ED's Kickstarter concluded, there was hot debate on the forum about what shape, which of the older games it was to draw inspiration from. FD went for Elite 1 which was fair enough I suppose as it was likely the most commercially successful in the series but old FE2 fans like me were a wee bit disappointed. This up and coming anniversary could be an opportunity to right that wrong. 🤓 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @geraldine

Didn't like the Newtonian flight model?

It wasn't only that - there were bugs, and planetary landing/buildings simply looked naff to my eye.

FD went for Elite 1 which was fair enough I suppose as it was likely the most commercially successful in the series...

A quote from DB (re: FEII/FFE) when the ED kickstarter was launched:

I loved the richness of the galaxy, but with the benefit of hindsight I think the way the ships flew detracted from the joyous immediacy of those in “Elite”

I couldn't agree more (and I've rarely agreed with DB), but as you say, the commercial aspect loomed large!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I liked the more tactical approach FE2 gave. It was possible to set up very intense battles with little jousting once it's flight model was understood. It had a learning curve tho that took me time to appreciate it. Once I did tho, it was always a struggle to go back to Elite 1 after that, for me at least.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

It's beyond ironic that Star Citizen of all things gives me that same feeling I had in FE2. Might be a good game one day.......if they ever get around to finishing it that is..... 😒 

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Obsidian Ant did a Flashback review of FE2 a while back.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@pinback 

Hey, remember when I did a pdf conversion of Stories Of Life on the Frontier? Took me ages to put that together. Glad D1 gave it a home. 🙂
https://spacesimcentral.com/downloads/%23-F/Frontier_Elite2/SOLOTF.pdf?_t=1515825721

Pinback liked
ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

It's beyond ironic that Star Citizen of all things gives me that same feeling I had in FE2.

Can't comment, as I never participated in the SC KS. Will they ever finish it? Somehow, I doubt it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: ED could've been an absolute humdinger of a single-player game! All those thousands of dev-hours put into making it MP, instead of enriching the game itself. That'd be my wish: a single-player offline ED!

How much difference has 25 years made? I'm now an old man, drawing the state pension. Nurse, nurse... my medication!

Oolite Naval Attaché

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@cody 
And I always said to you that you were welcome to join my private group. As close to a single player game with folk in it you actually know but, I respected your decision even if the offer still stands! 🤣 

Cody liked
ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Never say never, as they say.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@cody 
Well, if you ever did, I am fairly sure there would be only one ship you would fly; the good old Cobra MkIII. However, you backed the Kickstarter didn't you? That means, I think, you have also have access to an exclusive ship, the Cobra MkIV. Being honest here, I  think the MkIII is still the better ship between the two.

And here is my MkIII below. 🙂

Burnt Begger

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I am fairly sure there would be only one ship you would fly

Damn right! And here is my Mk III. Note all the "loaned" kit and lack of cash - playing Ironman was tough!

Load-out.png

How does one post a thumbnail? The thumbnail link provided by the host doesn't seem to work.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Cody

Oolite Naval Attaché

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Posted by: @cody

How does one post a thumbnail? The thumbnail link provided by the host doesn't seem to work.

Just download the image and drag it to the bottom of your post screen before you press Add Reply button. 😉
Anyways, you got some work to do on it I see. Here is a few possibilities, for combat and exploration focuses, including my very own Jay Miner's Revenge Sidy! 😀

ExCobbie
ComCobbie

ExSidy
Combat Sidy
This post was modified 2 years ago 3 times by Geraldine

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Of course, those stats can be improved even further since there has been additional engineering upgrades and other things brought into the game since then, however the images can give you some "ballpark figures" to aim for, anything else on top is a bonus. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Just download the image and drag it to the bottom of your post screen before you press Add Reply button.

Ah yes... I remember now. Testing...

Mustang

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@cody 

That reminds me, been in good old Flight Sim 2004 too! 😊 

EG5
Farewell

Shuttle3
DH86 Express

Solomon Islands
Sunset

Cody liked
ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

A lot of catching-up to do, and after 7 years, I expect my ED account is dormant. I bet FD would make me jump through all sorts of hoops to allow me to play again. I'll ponder it for the winter - got to get my eyesight sorted first (which probably entails more eye surgery).

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Sorry to hear that Cody. 😟 Best of luck! I hope they can sort your peepers out for you! 🤓 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2