Do you believe in p...

Notifications
Clear all

Do you believe in possibility of life in other galaxies?

robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

With over a hundred billion galaxies in the universe. It is hard for me to believe that there is not at least one other solar system with life. Especially, when some scientists claim that they have already found some exoplanets that can be like Earth.

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

The universes are crawling with life!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

I bet that, a technological civilization exists in our galaxy!! Trying to communicating with it though, is a different matter entirely!! 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

The Drake equation.

ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

@captainkal
I am not sure about that. I can agree that some forms can exist in the Solar system. For example, some forms of life can be on the surface of Mars. This planet has water ( ice ) and some forms of life can be in that ice. So I guess in some time we will get to know it for sure.

ReplyQuote
robert55
(@robert55)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Personally, I think that the chance is very high to find some forms of life ( even probably intelligent ) on these exoplanets. Moreover, some scientists claim that there are some planets that remind Earth. However, we should`t hurry with conclusions, these planets are too far and the only think that can remind Earth it`s the size of this Earth- alike planet.

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

The question that has fascinated me ever since I was barely a teen. My sister and I must have spent many hours discussing this. But back then it was done with hope and idealism, today we discuss it in a more calculating manner.

The Fermi paradox aside, I can guarantee life is out there, but we all know @robert55 specifically meant intelligent life, civilizations based on technology. To be honest, I'm not so sure there is, at least not in any significant numbers. 

Assuming carbon based life similar to our own, there are so many things that would have to fall into place. Atmosphere, water abundance, seasonal variations, magnetic field and yes, even an abnormally large satellite affecting tides. Extinction level events throughout the history of an alien planet that allowed for the right species to survive and dominate would also play a role. But the list doesn't end here.

Any one factor by itself would not be uncommon, all the necessary factors for life like us to evolve could be almost impossible. 

If I recall, there are a lot of Foundation fans here, funny that until his latter books, Asimov had an entire galaxy populated by Humans only, originating from a single long forgotten world. I remember even the plant life (with the exception of simple grass and shrubs) also shared the same origin. Perhaps then in the end, we may find out that we are a statistical anomaly, making it that much more a pity if we annihilate ourselves before we reach the stars 

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

The Fermi paradox including.

The Great Filter is probably not behind of, but still in front of us. (Seemingly closing in fast by the looks of it.)

Remember biological evolution is a universal process. As such it will also generate general default behavioral meta-characteristics in the life is produces.

(as such it stands to reason that most so called "technology advanced civilizations" probably made the same kind of mistakes in the end.)

+(If we do find that life also sprung up on Mars (and its not related to life on earth. ie: panspermia) ... Fermi's paradox becomes an even bigger issue.)

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

Seems simple life can even be more tenacious than was thought. (ones it has reared its head and had time to adapt of course).

Radioactivity May Fuel Life Deep Underground and Inside Other Worlds (May 24, 2021)

... Not to sure if this is a good or a bad thing though ...

test test

test test

test test

ReplyQuote
MajTom
(@majtom)
Petty Officer Registered

Together with Fermi Paradox and SETI [may have] overlooked messages, commonly discussed within the extraterrestrial life subject, there are some more spots that could be considered.

1. One based on Bayesian probability, the probability of one particular hypothesis being valid compared to all the possible hypotheses. Assumption of starting point has a 50/50 probability. This is a contrast to the question of life's emergence: the data is good enough to conclude that the common-life scenario is more likely than the rare-life scenario.

Also Stephen Hawking mentioned that we might start our life occurrence in the universe thinking by making a hypothesis: “the universe exists for life being here” and “if not our planet, why another one”.

2. Life evolution and reproduction is not following common entropy, it creates an order, but this should result in the intelligence self-destruction (assuming analysis of human evolution).

3. Do we have a chance with AI? Which could be believed/predicted as another evolution phase of humankind by Friedrich Nietzsche. Another intelligence form, that doesn’t need DNA reproduction and probably entropy contradiction.

ReplyQuote
ruogangpeng
(@ruogangpeng)
Crewman Registered

Of course! I believe that there are a possibility of life in other galaxies too.

ReplyQuote