Good Old Games goin...

Notifications
Clear all

Good Old Games going DOWN?!?

Braindead
(@braindead)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

This might be one of the sadder pieces of news I've read concerning gaming. It appears that GoG will not continue in it's current format. ATM. it is closed for business. The following is taken from http://gog.com/

Quote:

UPDATE 20.09.2010

First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.

At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday.

The official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events is planned on Wednesday. If you want to receive further information about GOG.com, please send an email to update_media@gog.com if you're a media representative or to update_users@gog.com if you're a user without a GOG account.

ORIGNAL MESSAGE:

Dear GOG users,

We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

We're very grateful for all support we've received from all of you in the past two years. Working on GOG.com was a great adventure for all of us and an unforgettable journey to the past, through the long and wonderful history of PC gaming.

This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.

On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.

All the best,

GOG.com Team

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Looks like they are going to still be around but in what capacity..? Maybe they will host a larger collection of games than they did before?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Probably come back with DRM on all the games.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

If they do that then its best they stay gone 🙂

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I sent them an email and it bounced back! 😕

ReplyQuote
cybersleuth58
(@cybersleuth58)
Crewman Registered

I hate to see GOG fail... I also have a very hard time believing that they saw this coming. I think that if they had they would have given us some kind of heads up, if only to put on a big sale as a way to go out with a bang. I suspect, like others, that money is at the root of this. 👿 They must have been stepping on toes. Great games, superb tech support. I purchased about a half dozen games that I have not yet downloaded. I sure hope they can follow through on their promise to allow us to obtain our games. I can bet there will be customers who are not going to find out about this until it is too late. What a sad day for gamers. Money talks... 😡

ReplyQuote
Braindead
(@braindead)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

This might be a publicity stunt though. At least that's what some ppl on news sites are thinking about..

Also update on their site:

Quote:
UPDATE 21.09.2010

We confirm that the official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events will take place on Wednesday at 12 p.m. EDT (6 p.m. CET)

Thanks for being with us.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I think you are totally correct Braindead 🙂 , behold! http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/

😉

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Looks more and more like a publicity stunt for there change over.

ReplyQuote
Braindead
(@braindead)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Aye it was. Man this is NOT even close to being a good publicity stunt although it gave em allot of attention. It's just the way how that I have allot of problems with.

They posted the following on their website followed by a number of vid's that I haven't watched yet because I'm angry 👿 <-- I wish there was a emoticon for NERDRAGE

Quote:
First of all we would like to apologize everyone who felt deceived or harmed in any way by us closing down GOG.com without any warning and without giving access to your games. We apologize for that from the bottom of our hearts!

Now it's time we put an end to all the speculations once and for all. It’s true that we decided that we couldn't keep GOG.com the way it was… so we won’t. As you probably know by now, GOG.com is entering its new era with an end of the two-years beta stage and we're launching a brand new GOG.com with new, huge releases.

The new GOG.com will launch at 8.00 a.m. EDT (2 p.m. CET). Later today we'll provide you here with 4 videos where you'll find all needed information about the current events, as well as news on the new GOG.com, the upcoming big releases and the summary of the last two years.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Was just on the GOG site there, venting just like everyone else. I hope they learn from this not to be so silly in the future

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Well as marketing ploy it worked they certainly got a lot of attention, much more than they would have got if they had just announced they were changing over the system.

ReplyQuote
Solace
(@solace)
Senior Chief Registered

Good thing I never bought any games there.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Well they did give there customers a scare that's for sure, but the site is back to normal now, but lessons have been learned. If you buy a digital download game, always back it up asap just in case anything really does happen to the site.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I don't see the big deal about their new and improved site...? But glad its back online and hopefully in the future they will think through the next advertising stunt.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Just noticed they have released Planescape Torment.

ReplyQuote