Notifications
Clear all

What sim to play?, confused.

Rohade
(@rohade)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I grew up with Elite, also loved wing commander. Now there seem to be so many options and I'm clueless about which ones are good, doesnt matter if its explore sim or mission driven.

So now there is pioneer, wing commander saga, first encounters remake, freelancer, freespace, privateer and also indies like Eterium or Zigfrak to say some. I just bought an Aviator Saitek to use for the game, but im clueless about which one to start with, something with great story or with trading exploration and ships and upgrades. Im surely will be blown away as I have a long time without playing any of them.

Any advice?

Anonymous

I can recommend Elite: Dangerous beta. Still beta, but it's fleshing pretty great.

You can't never go wrong with Freespace. Get it from GOG and some mods from http://www.hard-light.net/ . It alone could entertain you for another decade.

Chris Roberts' Star Citizen needs really, really lot of work, so don't bother for some time. Which is good, because, you'll  have more time for Elite. 😀

I played only 2 missions in Eterium, buy it really feels like good old WC. Here's Let's Play for you to decide:

Thanks for pointing me to Zigfrak, it somehow manged to flew under my radar. Stupid stealth fighters.

ReplyQuote
LeoCeballos
(@leoceballos)
Petty Officer Registered

If you have the budget (and the stomach/time for getting your progress reset) I second the thought of getting Elite: Dangerous. Its already remarkably polished for a beta. 

I also have to second Goomich's pick of Freespace. Freespace 2 may well be the ultimate expression of the military, mission-based fighter sim. At least, it was the reigning champion for a very long time, and it can be had for peanuts at GOG. It'll at least pass the time till Elite is out of Beta.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

See my sig!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Yep great suggestions so far folks! I would also add Evochron Mercenary, the often overlooked Tarr Chronicles (and it's pre equal Dark Horizon) or even one of the X games (X2, X3 Reunion, X3 Terran Conflict or Albion Prelude being my picks). Also Pioneer has off shoots: Genesia & Scout Plus. Oolite is also another (the first) of free Elite re-makes. So yes, lots to pick from.

ReplyQuote
Rohade
(@rohade)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot, forgot to say that I already pledged for Elite, not enough to be in Beta so still waiting hehe. Also for Star Citizen.

Can I go into freespace 2 without playing 1?, I already got a downloader but some items are not being downloaded, for freespace 2.

Thanks for all the other suggestions.

ReplyQuote
Rohade
(@rohade)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Playing frespace 1 campaign on freespace 2 open but i miss interacting with npc and such, maybe i such play starlancer?

ReplyQuote
LeoCeballos
(@leoceballos)
Petty Officer Registered

Are the I-Wars available digitally anywhere? 

EDIT: I'm an idiot. They're on GoG. I really ought to play those. 

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)
Warrant Officer Registered

Thanks for pointing me to Zigfrak, it somehow manged to flew under my radar. Stupid stealth fighters.

Zigfrak was more an action RPG with spaceships instead of proper spacesim with proper physics (KB/M only control, if I recall), but it doesn't means it can't have so many shout-outs/references and explosions, weapons/parts loot count that on par with Borderlands and ridiculous sense of humor.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)
Warrant Officer Registered

I keep fighting the urge to go through IWar2 from start to finish again, because I've also been playing Elite and I know it will make me extremely frustrated with Elite.  IWar2 is probably one of the most under-rated games of all time.  Worth way more than the $6 on GOG.

ReplyQuote