Notifications
Clear all

Adding more solar system moons and cometary objects etc.

Darkman
(@darkman)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I'm watching this project like a hawk and I'm impressed with the latest alpha. When exploring the Sol system I noticed that one of Saturn's innermost moons, Mimas, isn't present. It's a weird moon with a gigantic impact crater that kind of makes it look like the Deathstar from Star Wars :). Anyway I'm hoping that this moon will be included in a future release as I would really like to explore this moon and it's huge crater. Also, what about the rest of the moons of each planet being included in the future along with comets ? Frontier never had comets, but they would be an interesting addition to the game and allow the use of mining minerals and water on them. As they get closer to the Sun it would be interesting to see them erupt tails and also loose them as they move out from the Sun.

Going further, are their plans to include asteroid belts and maybe Oort cloud type structures at the edge of solar systems ?

Shepherd moons within Saturn's rings would be cool also but also having these within the rings of extra-solar ringed planets would make ideal places to put pirate/alien bases on, especially if they were hidden from the map so you would have to find them first. Caves inside asteroids could be generated to also host pirate/alien bases. Maybe you could find special equipment, upgrades or a stash of cargo containers inside of them.

Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Yes that would be a great idea to put in comets and suchlike. As for Mimas, I never even noticed it was missing 😳

Looking at the pictures below, I see what you mean about it's Deathstar-like appearance.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

hehe it does look like the deathstar.

Theres actually quite a few moons not in the game, I only added the ones which I considered to be more popular, simply because I was feeling rather lazy and didn't think that many people would miss them 😉

But your right, all of the moons should be placed eventually.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Yeah, and don't forget Charon! 😉

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

looking forward to comets and small moons

ReplyQuote
Necalli
(@necalli)
Crewman Registered

ollobrain wrote:
looking forward to comets and small moons

And asteroid fields, for the sake of it.

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

roid fields would be simple enough as in so far as places to mine ( space mining) places for pirates to hide etc

ReplyQuote
Darkman
(@darkman)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Glad to hear that more moons will be included at some point in the future :). I haven't actually seen images of Mimas for a while and it's always good to see that moon again with that mega crater on it. Actually, Mimas is like the badly pockmarked and spotty teenager of Saturn's moons with all those bumps and craters all around it :D.

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

sounds about right i guess well see over time progress

ReplyQuote