Notifications
Clear all

Announcement: Lua custom systems will be removed!

impaktor
(@impaktor)
Pioneer Moderator
Topic starter  

Yes, it is true: custom systems in Lua will be removed, and replaced with our new shiny graphical system editor for interactively designing new custom systems, saved as json, (sorry for the clickbait title). This is the result of much hard work by sturnclaw, triggering a re-write of much of the code for custom systems.

There's a demonstration of it here:

We look forward to contributors submitting their new systems for inclusion in the game.

This topic was modified 8 months ago by impaktor

classyk and Geraldine liked
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Nice work on the new editor 🍺 this will definitely open up the possibilities for new content

ReplyQuote
celeryhurry
(@celeryhurry)
Crewman Registered

I like the newly added customizations. It seems a lot more convenient for users.

geometry dash world

ReplyQuote
blockromp
(@blockromp)
Crewman Registered

This appears to be a really well-done piece of work and a fantastic game addition. I am very much looking forward to obtaining this. We are grateful to Pioneer's developers and supporters for continuing to make this fantastic game.

geometry dash lite

ReplyQuote
impaktor
(@impaktor)
Pioneer Moderator
Topic starter  

@blockromp As far as I know, it's not been used by anyone yet, so we need some testing, and if you care to try it out (before the official annual release on Saturday), you can download a build from here (requires that you're logged in):

https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/actions/runs/7681107365

...if you find any bugs, please do let us know, preferably as soon as possible. (run the binary file with argument: "editor --system")

ReplyQuote
sarahlison
(@sarahlison)
Crewman Registered

The new customization has many optimizations but still needs to be monitored to edit if something arises.

bob the robber

ReplyQuote
impaktor
(@impaktor)
Pioneer Moderator
Topic starter  

@sarahlison Could you please let us know about any potential issues with the editing tool is, and what "something arises" might be? As this is a new tool, there's probably bugs and things to improve that we do not know about, so we rely on you the users to give us feedback. Also, please make sure you're using the 3.14 release (or master),

For the 3.14 version, you might need to Ctrl+click "load" to force loading/restoring saves from the february version, if need be.

ReplyQuote
LucMorizur
(@lucmorizur)
Petty Officer Registered

Hi; unfortunately these last months I had not much available time to play with Pioneer 😢. Yet one thing I did was to try to improve Uranus' satellites thanks to the systems editing tool (congratulations and thanks for this work 👏🙏!!), as they currently orbit in the solar system's ecliptic plane, which is not the case in reality, they orbit in Uranus' plane axis, which is around 92° tilted wrt to ecliptic plane.

Well I did not try for much time, but I must say it was no obvious which values I had to modify so to approach reality. Some help would be greatly appreciated, if possible.

Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
impaktor
(@impaktor)
Pioneer Moderator
Topic starter  

@lucmorizur sturnclaw (who wrote the tool) says: "we don't really have support at any level for satellite bodies orbiting in a separate ecliptic plane. It's a shortcoming of the procedural generator as well. The best way to mimic that from the system editor is to set the inclination value to ~90 degrees and change the Orbital Offset parameter to line up the planets appropriately with the spin axis of the planet."

Hope it helps.

ReplyQuote
impaktor
(@impaktor)
Pioneer Moderator
Topic starter  

@lucmorizur Btw, I forgot to say: good initiative. All our custom systems that are currently in Lua need to be moved to json / e.g. by using the new system editor tool, so there's a job if anyone want to work on it.

ReplyQuote
evawillms
(@evawillms)
Crewman Registered

For the 3.14 version, you might need to Ctrl+click "load" to force loading/restoring saves from the february version.

Run 3

ReplyQuote
marklebeau
(@marklebeau)
Crewman Registered

I neglected to mention, excellent initiative. There is a task if anyone wants to work on it since all of our bespoke systems that are presently in Lua need to be transferred to json / e.g. by utilizing the new system editor tool.

candy clicker

ReplyQuote
villagetunic
(@villagetunic)
Crewman Registered

These newly additional customizations are really appealing to me. Users appear to find it to be a great deal more handy.

gorilla tag

ReplyQuote
LucMorizur
(@lucmorizur)
Petty Officer Registered

Posted by: @impaktor

@lucmorizur sturnclaw (who wrote the tool) says: "we don't really have support at any level for satellite bodies orbiting in a separate ecliptic plane. It's a shortcoming of the procedural generator as well. The best way to mimic that from the system editor is to set the inclination value to ~90 degrees and change the Orbital Offset parameter to line up the planets appropriately with the spin axis of the planet."

Hope it helps.

Many thanks @impaktor (and @marklebeau) for your answers. Well sturnclaw's answer is quite the type I was expecting 😅! Okay, I'll try to (take the time to 😕) play with the settings.

By the way another request: if also the display resolution of the Planet Editor could be scalable, it would be great! As on my 4K screen, I need to wear my magnifying glasses and put my face at 20 cm of the screen 😕 ! — don't laugh, you shall see when you reach 45 years old 😭! Well I guess that this is not the most urgent feature, and mainly that the request should be posted in a request thread.

ReplyQuote