Notifications
Clear all

Pioneer Musical Appreciation Society

Page 30 / 47

arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)
Warrant Officer Registered

I used to watch Fireball XL5, Stingray, Marine Boy, Captain Scarlet. There is a character who turned up from time to time at our jam nights and the XL5 song is part of his repertoire, but he has to show us the chords each time as nobody can remember it from one time to the next.

I have had one Doors CD for years. I think it is called LA Woman but have not listened to it much. I got another one more recently - might be called Morrison Hotel - I think I got it for Roadhouse Blues as I have tried to do this a few times at jam nights but it hasn't worked very well.

There is a band I saw a few times in the 1980's called the Cult. I lost track of what they were doing but a few years back a video popped up on Youtube of the singer - Ian Astbury - singing Doors songs with an original member of the band.

Looks like it could be more than one original member of the Doors - Doors of the 21st Century it appears to be called.

This post was modified 3 years ago by arfa

ReplyQuote
rareskyfive
(@rareskyfive)
Crewman Registered

Tangerine Dream is a German electronic music band founded in 1967 by Edgar Froese. The group has seen many personnel changes over the years, with Froese having been the only. mybkexperience mcdvoice

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by rareskyfive

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @rareskyfive

Tangerine Dream is a German electronic music band founded in 1967 by Edgar Froese

Phaedra is an excellent album! And welcome to SSC, amigo!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

Some lads at school were fans of Tangerine Dream (despite punk / new wave being the 'in thing' at the time). I have probably heard some of their stuff but can't remember anything of theirs. There is a German band called Eloy who did a session for the Friday Rock Show in the 1980's which I probably still have on cassette somewhere.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I own only one DVD - Zachariah, the first electric western.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

I was looking at a football forum last Friday and there was a thread titled 'Time Has Come Today' which had some quotes that looked like song lyrics. A band called The Chambers Brothers was mentioned. I didn't know anything about the band or song but apparently it was well known in the late 60's.

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

A Frank Zappa song which has the word 'Nirvana' in the lyric.

Cody liked
ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

Another band that I listened to a lot in the 80's was the Icicle Works. This song is called 'Nirvana' and was released in 1984 on the Beggars Banquet label.

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

In 1985 The Cult also released a song called 'Nirvana' also on the Beggars Banquet label.

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Nirvana? Auummmm!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

In 1985 I bought a single by the Icicle Works which had a song called Mr Soul as a B-side. The song was credited as being a Neil Young composition. In a similar way to the Cult singer singing Doors songs with Doors musicians, there are videos on Youtube of the Icicle Works singer (Ian McNabb) doing songs with Crazy Horse.

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

Youtube allows me to discover that Mr Soul was a song by Buffalo Springfield from when Neil Young was a member of that band.

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

I have seen some comments that suggested a connection between Mr Soul and a well known Rolling Stones song.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @arfa

Buffalo Springfield

Good band, Buffalo Springfield. Richie Furay went on to form Poco with among others Randy Meisner, who went on to form Eagles. I have a soft spot for Poco and early Eagles, and I also love Linda Ronstadt. She does Desperado better than anyone...

To my mind, the album Desperado is Eagles at their finest.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

I remember the Eagles being huge in the mid to late seventies. About 12 years ago I started going to a jam session where the fella in charge would do this song called 'Peaceful' every week. I had no idea who the song was by but after a few months I decided to find out. I have since seen a documentary about the Eagles which had a lot of stuff about their early days and featured Linda Ronstadt quite a bit. Poco was also mentioned. I saw a version of the Eagles live for the only time on the History of the Eagles tour, which was a really great gig, despite not knowing a lot of the songs.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Peaceful Easy Feeling is from their first album, but Witchy Woman is the best track on it...

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

The devil doesn't have all the best tunes..

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

The original

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

Classic version

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

A little bluegrass is needed, methinks...

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

ReplyQuote
arfa
 arfa
(@arfa)

Bluegrass equivalent of speed metal