Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] !! Pioneer Question Time !! - Ask them here

Page 32 / 52

Anonymous

I'm using pioneer under gnu-linux. My installation is located in /usr/games/pioneer-git and my user files are in ~/.pioneer.

Is it possible for the user to add some music for "space", "near-planet", etc, in his ~/.pioneer user directory, leaving the structure located in /usr untouched?

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

I'm using pioneer under gnu-linux. My installation is located in /usr/games/pioneer-git and my user files are in ~/.pioneer.

Is it possible for the user to add some music for "space", "near-planet", etc, in his ~/.pioneer user directory, leaving the structure located in /usr untouched?

Yes. Files that you put in ~/.pioneer/data (or equivalent on other platforms) will be visible in the game's data space and used as appropriate. Files with the same name will be used in preference to core files, so you can replace scripts, textures, whatever you like on an ad-hoc basis this way. The music player selects from all the available music, so any music you add this way will be used.

Fyi, mods work exactly the same way, just the contents of the zip file are made visible instead.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Thanks

ReplyQuote
doomdark64
(@doomdark64)
Petty Officer Registered

Whens the mining on planets going to be implimented, it was talked about eons ago.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Whens the mining on planets going to be implimented, it was talked about eons ago.

Once you've written it, you can submit a pull request through Github.

ReplyQuote
doomdark64
(@doomdark64)
Petty Officer Registered

Once you've written it, you can submit a pull request through Github.

Got nowt to do with me writing it, it was mentioned on the web sites by other people, gotta hate

scarcastic comments, whats up didnt you get laid last night?.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Thanks for that.

Since you're not intending to write the feature yourself, the only other way you can be certain of a delivery date for the feature you want is if you can find somebody to write it for you.

Alternatively, you can be patient, and remember that none of us are being paid to write this game for you. We do this in our spare time, in addition to whatever day jobs and other responsibilities we might have.

Your overly demanding comment deserved its sarcastic response. The abuse that you followed up with just shows everybody what you are.

ReplyQuote
NeuralKernel
(@neuralkernel)
Warrant Officer Registered

@Brianetta... The question about planet mining didn't seem sarcastic to me. I've been on the receiving end of your "when you write it" answer and found it quite aggravating. Please stop using it.

@DoomDark64... I did NOT, however, resort to insulting community members in response to my feelings being hurt.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

In Brianetta's defense, we get asked about when particular features will be available a lot, and most of the time it is demanding and/or outright rude. When that sort of things happens a lot you start to see every question as a demand, even if it wasn't meant that way.

The general answer to "when will X appear" or "can I have Y" is always "when someone writes it". Until such a time as we have more than volunteer resources available, there's no other way it can be.

I'm going to flag this thread for a moderator, just so they're aware of it. There should be nothing more to say, so lets just move on.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Sure. Here's a delayed response from something up above.

"Is there a way to clear labels, tags, names etc from the screen?

Controls list says Tab to "toggle HUD mode" but that doesn't seem to change anything I can see."

If I start a game Tab works, but if I exit a game and start another the Tab key no longer functions. I have to exit the program and restart to re-enable it. I'm using Win32 and alpha 28. It's been like that for several alphas. I should probably put it on the issue tracker.

ReplyQuote
Chronothan
(@chronothan)
Petty Officer Registered

I gotta question. I want to make a script that tracks how many unexplored systems the player has visited; but I can't figure out how.  Is there a way to get whether the current system is explored or is this not exposed to Lua? I know under some custom star systems it has :explored(true).  Be nice if I could write an OnEnterSystem event with a condition that it only fires when the player enters an unexplored star system.

ReplyQuote
Loki999
(@loki999)
Master Chief Registered

Game.system.name i believe is what you want. Will return the current system

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Explored state is not currently available to Lua, but would be a trivially easy thing to add. I've opened <a href="""issue #1793 if anyone is interested!

ReplyQuote
Loki999
(@loki999)
Master Chief Registered

Ah, sorry, i misunderstood the question... helps if I read the actual text 😀

ReplyQuote
Chronothan
(@chronothan)
Petty Officer Registered

Explored state is not currently available to Lua, but would be a trivially easy thing to add. I've opened issue #1793 if anyone is interested!

Awesome thanks alot 😎 I'm just barely getting these Lua modules down, otherwise I'd try my hand at adding the explored attribute. Hopefully someone with more experience than I will take an interest.  Adding this would open up the possibility of exploration missions as well. Very cool!

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Chronathan, if you (or any other script author) find yourself needing extra API features for your scripts, you can make a feature request on the issue tracker. They'll normally get added fairly quickly. We know the API isn't complete, and we're always grateful for feedback from scripters.

ReplyQuote
Arrakkh
(@arrakkh)
Senior Chief Registered

it would be a good idea to add some easter egg in the game.

I mean: very valuable objects on the surface of some unexplored planets, or archeological sites belongin to an ancient galactic civilization.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

You sure there aren't? Have you looked *everywhere*? (-:

ReplyQuote
Arrakkh
(@arrakkh)
Senior Chief Registered

"Everywhere" is very big, some milions of planets 🙂

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Try billions. Say there's something hidden on one of them. Your chances of finding it are, for all practical purposes, the same as they would be if it didn't exist.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Tell you what. Without cheating (that is, without looking in the data files) go and find the Australian system. It actually exists. It's actually possible to reach it from Sol in an unmodified ship (although you might have to stop for fuel on the way).

Happy hunting!

ReplyQuote
Arrakkh
(@arrakkh)
Senior Chief Registered

Tell you what. Without cheating (that is, without looking in the data files) go and find the Australian system. It actually exists. It's actually possible to reach it from Sol in an unmodified ship (although you might have to stop for fuel on the way).

Happy hunting!

Using the "search sistem" option in galactic map, it seems not exist a Australian sistem. The search result is always "not found".

Are you sure it exists in pioneer 28?

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

It has existed for well over a year. You do not know its name. It is Australian, but that is not its name.

In addition to this, even if you knew its name, it's out of search range.

Edited to add: If any of you do find it, do be so kind as to use spoiler tags if you talk about it.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Hello Chronothan, and welcome!

Awesome thanks alot 😎 I'm just barely getting these Lua modules down, otherwise I'd try my hand at adding the explored attribute. Hopefully someone with more experience than I will take an interest.  Adding this would open up the possibility of exploration missions as well. Very cool!

This has now been added and should be available in alpha30 (I missed the cut off for alpha29). 🙂

(or you could instead grab a nightly build after alpha29 is released)

ReplyQuote
Arrakkh
(@arrakkh)
Senior Chief Registered

Since today, my pioneer doesn't work anymore. As i try to open it, a window appears:

"this application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

Every other program installed in my pc works correctly. what happened?

ReplyQuote
Page 32 / 52