Notifications
Clear all

Reconnaissance Missions / Surveys

Kryos
(@kryos)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hello, forum.

I apologise if this has been asked elsewhere - I couldn't find it if so. I did find the answer to my question on how to use a fuel scoop, though, so that's good*.

I wonder if anyone could give me a hint on how to carry out a recon mission I picked up from a station bulletin board, please. I have an advanced radar mapper fitted, but I don't know how to work it. I can use it on ships no problem, but I don't know how to activate it to scan a planet. Is there a control I missed or is it a set of conditions that will trigger it automatically?

Also, I'm unsure whether the mission requires me to return to the same station I picked it up from to return the data, whether I just need to be in the same system, or whether I can complete the mission without actually going back. I'm on a local recon but have messed around for so long I'm on the last day and won't be able to get back to the station in time, even though it's within the same system. I am not an organised person. 🙂

I'd appreciate any advice, or a pointer to any previous relevant posts.

* The answer was, in effect: "Do what you were already doing, just at lower, scarier altitude." 🙂

Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

It's been really quiet around here the past couple of days.

The radar mapper lets you scan planets and the advanced radar mapper lets you see the ships in the system. You can't fit them both at the same time for some reason. If you are scanning a body in your current system you need to return to the location where you took the mission. I've only done this in Scout Plus, but it looks the same in Pioneer.

ReplyQuote
Kryos
(@kryos)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Ah - that would explain it!

Thanks for that, Marcel. I'll head back to port and replace the advanced mapper with a... Basic? Non-advanced? ...one.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

For now? Yes do that although I hope this will be something that will be fixed in later builds. Ideally an Advanced Radar Mapper should be able to do both.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

"Ideally an Advanced Radar Mapper should be able to do both."

http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/topic/4211-things-related-to-scout/#entry53533

ReplyQuote
impaktor
(@impaktor)
Pioneer Moderator

For now? Yes do that although I hope this will be something that will be fixed in later builds. Ideally an Advanced Radar Mapper should be able to do both.

For what it's worth,I started working on a reconnaissance mission last Christmas, but got halted since I wanted a new ship equipment with progress bar showing scanning progress etc. rather than the hacky: if(has_radar_mapper) -> player_scanning kind of fix that is currently used in Scout+.

Current progress of the first part of implementing this is in:

https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/issues/3287

And I have most of the code for the mission module itself in place on my github. So I'm hoping to have it done this summer, if time and collaboration permits.

So, yes, this will get implemented in a propper way in vanilla pioneer, with better integration into ship equipment.

ReplyQuote