Notifications
Clear all

Rodina

Page 2 / 7

Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Goodness this one has been in "the pot" for while! Great to finally hear some news about it.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Just from reading the PC gamer review I got the feeling that game is just set with in one system which in it self would not be a bad idea as you could go super detailed on the planets ect.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Another site update we may be getting close to an announcement   http://elliptic-games.com/?p=294

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Big news for Rodina as it is to be released on December 13 http://elliptic-games.com/?p=307

Today, I couldn’t be happier to announce that I intend to begin selling Rodina, my indie space exploration game, on December 13th.

Rodina has been a labor of love for about two years, but it’s been brewing in my mind for much longer than that. Playing games like Star Fox and Super Metroid on the SNES 20 years ago, I would daydream about leaving the confines of the game behind and taking Samus’s gunship, or Fox’s Arwing, on my own adventures. Later, as I threw myself into the Elder Scrolls series, I would wonder what it would be like to have a first person exploration game set out in space.

Today, I’m so proud to confirm that I’m well on the path to realizing those daydreams, both for myself and for the many others who I am confident share them.

Is Rodina finished? No- in two senses. First, I haven’t accomplished everything I want to accomplish with it yet. There’s a solid base- a huge solar system with massive procedural planets, complete seamless freedom, fun ship combat and a developed background story. But there’s lots more work to be done before Rodina can deliver an RPG-like experience with interesting characters and emergent gameplay.

Second, Rodina may never be “finished”. My hope is to keep developing it over time, adding features and fulfilling requests. I look to the fans to help its on its journey, whether by buying the game, providing valuable feedback about where you would like to see it go, or by creating mods that extend the game with your own creative vision.

Still, I couldn’t be more proud of the work I’ve done. I’m not sure that there’s anything else really quite like it, and I’m very anxious to share it with you.

For those of you who have been waiting a VERY long time since my initial announcement in April 2012, thank you for your patience. It won’t be long now!

See you on December 13th!

ReplyQuote
Nawshad007
(@nawshad007)
Crewman Registered

I am starting to love it! I always search this type of games. Do anyone know about Star Quest 2? 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

2 days off the release and not much info about it, looking through the twitter feed I gather that the base price is about $15.00 although you can pay less. The first release will only contain one system with 4 large planets and asteroids and no word on what size the download will be.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

At last some one is asking some question about it on Reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/Rodina/comments/1smgqq/why_cant_i_find_out_anything_about_this_game/

and the answer to the price structure of the game.

Not yet. I should really do that. Here's the plan:

< $15: The current version of the game

$15: All future updates

$25: Voting rights on what kinds of features I work on next

$50: Thank you in the credits

$100: Special Thank You on Elliptic's web site, all future games I ever make for free

$250 ("El Presidente"): "Executive Producer" credit in all games Elliptic ever makes. I'll hang your picture up in the office in perpituity. And I'll take you to lunch if you're ever in Portland, OR.

Their also looks to be a time limited demo of the game as well.

ReplyQuote
Cruisin1500
(@cruisin1500)
Master Chief Registered

I have like 11 space games to try out which came out or are in develpoment since I started VOD lol.......

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I have good few myself including VOD

Games not out until midday PST which I think is the West coast of the USA.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

I have good few myself including VOD 

Same here!!!!   

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Rodina is out and can be downloaded http://www.elliptic-games.com/store/

ReplyQuote
Cruisin1500
(@cruisin1500)
Master Chief Registered

Well I am patching every day and Desura is slow to update...I am going to be glad if the majority of people buy it from gamers gate. As soon as someone reports a bug, next hour its fixed if that long.

I have uploaded a version now to Desura for 2 days which fixes critical issues with gameplay....not live yet. GG makes the patches live instantly.

I would host the patches myself if I could.

ReplyQuote
Styggron
(@styggron)
Master Chief Registered

I just have a few questions re Rodina.

Just got the demo...looks great. Just have a few quick questions.

1. Is the game DRM free ? Ie once I purchase I get a serial code and I can put it on multiple computers or is it locked to 1 computer etc ?

2. I see it is diret download which is my preferance ie no third party downloaders forcing updates etc will it remain like this or at least will the direct download option always be available ?

Thanks in advance.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

1. Is the game DRM free ? Ie once I purchase I get a serial code and I can put it on multiple computers or is it locked to 1 computer etc ?

2. I see it is diret download which is my preferance ie no third party downloaders forcing updates etc will it remain like this or at least will the direct download option always be available ?

You probably going to need to post on Riddit http://www.reddit.com/r/Rodina to get any answers as he has not set up his own forums yet.

Although the demo is the full game and seems to be DRM free, you just buy a key to unlock features and be eligible for the updates.

Had a quick play around with the demo last night and only had one crash.

Ship interior is huge compared to the outside.

Very dark on the asteroid you start on, like the low gravity. 

Music is very atmospheric.

Liminal drive is very uncontrollable.

Not seen the planets yet or any combat but all in all a very impressive start, reminds me of how Ad Astra started with just one solar system, going to be interesting to see where this goes.

ReplyQuote
Styggron
(@styggron)
Master Chief Registered

Ok. I would have thought he would be right here on SSC. This is where I first heard of it in the first place.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

You never know he might show up at some point but I would expect that he is rather busy at the moment.

Bought the game and after a bit of fiddle around with the key I have unlocked it, still not made it to any of the planets but have got to another asteroid where I spied some crosses (more goodies to collect)and red dots and as I got closer to it,I was in for a surprise when the red dots started moving and then firing at me. 

Took out one of the ships with the missiles but the other one got me and after a reload their appeared to be only one ship this time which met a quick end, after a bumpy landing on the asteroid  I was unable to find the crosses?,but I did find a blazing wreak of the a ship might have been the one I blow up in orbit.

Update from the site http://elliptic-games.com/?p=317

Hey folks! So a lot of people have downloaded the game and I’m getting lots of valuable feedback. Many people are not able to run the game. There are a couple of crashes that lots of people are experiencing. I’m sorry to everyone that isn’t able to run the demo. I’m looking into these issues now and hopefully we’ll be able to get past these birthing pains soon.

In the meantime, please be patient and for goodness sake, don’t buy the game until you try the demo!

If you have bought the game and it doesn’t run for you, feel free to email me at brendan@elliptic-games.com with your payment info and I’ll be happy to issue a refund.

To those who are able to play the game- I hope you enjoy it and I’m paying close attention to your feedback as well!

Thanks for your patience!

Only had one crash myself so far.

ReplyQuote
celticfang
(@celticfang)
Senior Chief Registered

Only one crash here too, trying to walk around while in limnal drive.

I can't figure out how to get stuff like upgrades, did I miss that memo or what?

Also, can I completely redesign the ship or is it one shape only?

EDIT: Can I make it brighter somehow (and going next to a star with my flying skills doesn't count)

I had a write error/trace error while saving as well so I'm hesitant to load that save up.

Is it possible to share designs?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Upgrades can found on asteroids if you are playing the story mode along with ammo and data sticks, one thing I would suggest is going into the options and turning down the combat difficulty as you will be dead in seconds if you encounter more than one ship.You can reread the messages in the comms station to the right of the bridge or by using the scanner in front of the pilots seat.

Also noticed the save game not working in the free flight game although it works fine in story mode.

Couple of more things I would like to see are an altitude meter and a speed meter and lights, can't see anything on the dark side.

Got near one the planets in free mode last night looks really big but was unable to land as I kept bouncing off the atmosphere or being told my angle was too steep with accompanying re entry flames.

Looks like their is a patch on the way as well.

Update from the site.

Hi everyone, it’s been a crazy few days since Rodina was released! Thanks for all your support. I wanted to give an update on what’s going on:

TRY THE DEMO!

First of all, I want to say- please try the demo! It seems that people either can’t run the game, or they are having some fun with it. Definitely try the demo before buying.

STABILITY

Most important is getting the game running for people. I think I have a fix related to DirectX initialization that will hopefully address maybe 50% of the crashes we’re seeing. I was hoping it would fix everyone’s issues but unfortunately not.

This fix is for the error where it says “Assert- Line 88 of EGRenderer.cpp” or something like that. It’s not necessarily for cases where you get an anonymous crash with no specific error (although it may fix a small handful of those)

For those still experiencing crashes on load, I am going to also try to add some better error logging to the game so that we can better diagnose these issues and get them fixed. More instructions forthcoming.

MIN SPECS

Now that the game is in the hands of more people I’m getting a feel for min specs:

Minimum to run the game:

* Graphics Card with 512MB VRAM

* Dual Core Processor

* Windows Vista / DirectX 10

Recommended for high performance:

* Graphics Card with 1024MB VRAM

* Quad-Core processor

As you can see, the game requires high resources even though it’s not exactly Crysis. This is one of the downsides of trying to do a 3D game with some limit-pushing features with only one person on the team. Try the Demo!

REFUNDS

If you have bought the game and it isn’t working for you, please email me at brendan@elliptic-games.com if you would like a refund. Please don’t be shy. I’m not comfortable accepting your money until you have a working product.

FEEDBACK / BUGS

I’m also hoping to address other non-crashing bugs in an update soon, including things like: Making the Limnal Drive easier to control, increasing the mouse sensitivity, adding inverted mouse controls, etc. Trying to get as many of these in as possible.

Please feel free to join the discussion on Twitter andn Reddit to give feedback on your experiences.

ReplyQuote
Hot4Darmat
(@hot4darmat)
Petty Officer Registered

I just watched the gameplay twitch vid on Space Game Junkie blog and this looks like a great game. I'll be getting into this one for sure.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

Unfortunatelly , I am in the CTD category. I am waiting for the updated demo.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

And the demo has been updated http://elliptic-games.com//a >

Here it is folks! There is a new build of the game! It’s stored in the same place as the old link so feel free to head to the download page to grab it! You can also download it in ZIP form if you prefer. The prerequisites are included within the ZIP.

This update fixes some major crashes people were having (Including the assert message about line 88 of EGRenderer.cpp) as well as numerous gamebreaking bugs, and many usability issues people were clamoring for. Check out the readme here.

I’m confident that this build, along with the workarounds described below, should clear up many of the issues people have been having. Please let me know if you still have trouble with the game!

IMPORTANT KNOWN ISSUES

NON-ENGLISH LOCALE

Users in a non-English Locale may experience a crash upon loading Rodina.

If you are affected by this issue, the workaround is to change your Locale / Regional Settings to English / USA.

I’m sorry about this and I will be debugging this issue shortly. It would be helpful if those who experience this problem email me to let me know- I would love to test a build on you when I have a potential fix!

PLAYER LOADING IN BAD POSITION ON ASTEROIDS

Loading breaks on some asteroids. Some users report loading into midair, or loading inside the walls of their ship

Workaround: Use the “Fix Player” button on the pause menu. This will put the player back into the ship.

NEW: SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Feedback from players has allowed me to establish a set of minimum requirements. Thank you to everyone.

Minimum:

* Graphics Card with 512MB VRAM

* Dual Core Processor

* Windows Vista / DirectX 10

Recommended:

* Graphics Card with 1024MB VRAM

* Quad-Core processor

Problem Areas:

* Some users have reported bad performance with Intel video cards

If you feel you have information that can help flesh out this list- please send to me! After all, I can only test on ONE computer so I need your help! 🙂

MOST IMPORTANTLY

This build would not have been possible without your help!!! I received DOZENS of helpful emails and worked with many people willing to try out test builds in order to fix the problems that were occurring. Many people gave valuable feedback on gameplay. I learned some things from the Let’s Play videos that have been released. There are too many of you to thank individually so just let me say thank you to my customers and potential customers in general! We wouldn’t be here now without you!

As always, if you experience problems with this build, let me know!

Finally got to a planet.

rod1_zps8eb71d48.jpg

Don't like the look of this.

rod2_zps483cd270.jpg

EEEEEEK

rod3_zpsb415ec5b.jpg

LANDED.

rod5_zpsde90eea3.jpg

Bit dark down here.

ReplyQuote
Overlord
(@overlord)
Master Chief Registered

Just got this and I must say what a lot of fun!

Space combat is very cleverly designed to make it feel like its got newtonion physics but its just a bit less hardcore. Its very satisfying swooping around the enemy changing speeds trying to dodge numerous missiles. Planets are very nice looking at ground level too.

Only problem I've had so far is an error when I tried to save(managed to save 20 or so times ok before it happened the first time though)

Looking forward to seeing where they take the game.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

And the demo has been updated

No luck either.  🙁

ReplyQuote
Cruisin1500
(@cruisin1500)
Master Chief Registered

i wonder if he had a group of people test it before releasing. This will always happen despite your best efforts to quash bugs.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

I am using a non English locale, that's why the game will not load.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 7