New sci-fi films wo...

Notifications
Clear all

New sci-fi films worth watching?

GUNSMIF
(@gunsmif)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

please list any (new not 80`s 90`s)good space/sci-fi films you have enjoyed.

1st off, whats Moon like???

Thank you... 🙂

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Well I want to see Pandorium, Moon and Surrogates and are all on my Netflix list.

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Moon is a GREAT movie, it's not fast paced or something but it's cool enough to watch and not regret.

ReplyQuote
GUNSMIF
(@gunsmif)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Cool! thanks guys they sould keep me entertained over the week! 😀

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)
Warrant Officer Registered

In my opinion, I liked Moon but not enough for a second viewing. There were some good ideas - I loved the robot with its plethora of smilies 😕 - but it didn't really grip me in any way. I was also kinda ticked off that they didn't even attempt to emulate the Moon's gravity properly. Sam Rockwell made one or two half-assed attempts to make it look like he was bouncing around under 1/3rd gravity but I've seen better in school playgrounds. The whole issue was completely ignored, presumably hoping that if they didn't mention the oddities of seeing the clones walking around the station under full earth Gs AND on the moon's surface, then no-one else would notice either.

Sorry to harp on about that one issue but it broke the illusion for me, and spoiled my enjoyment of an otherwise competent film. Having said that, I think maybe I'm just a bit tired of clones and evil corporations. A friendly robot was certainly refreshing but - again - the explanation for its later behaviour was never satisfactorily explained.

ReplyQuote
GUNSMIF
(@gunsmif)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Pandorum started really good, then turned into The Descent in space, then got a bit confusing 😕 , nice twist at the end though!

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

That Moon movie looks to have shades of Darkstar and maybe 2001 to it.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Is the Predators reboot still on for this summer. ❓

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

You have these too...

Can't wait to see Moon, and again Pandorum is a good movie if you like a Event Horizon style movie with a aliens 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Watch moon over the weekend,its amazing what they did for 5 million as the film looks like

it cost three or four time that amount.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Moon has been on the short wait list on Netflix for me for about 2wks.... 🙁 Hoping next week I will get it.

ReplyQuote
Bullwinkle
(@bullwinkle)

Darkone wrote:
Moon has been on the short wait list on Netflix for me for about 2wks.... 🙁 Hoping next week I will get it.

I watched Moon, Pandorum, and Surrogates based on your suggestions, Darkone. They are all worth watching.

Geraldine and Pinback: Yeah, Moon makes me think of a better version of 2001: A Space Odyssey. It is amazing that they did it for the cost of a few episodes of a TV show.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

According to the the dvd commentaries they credit Silent Running and Outlands a number of

times,I can see the connection with Silent Running,simalar sort of film.

ReplyQuote
Bullwinkle
(@bullwinkle)

farcodev wrote:
To compare 2001 and Moon is like compare Blade-Runner with I-Robot.

Blade Runner and I, Robot, are two fundamental sci-fi classics. Both laid the foundations for entire generations of stories to follow.

Of course, comparing Asimov's I, Robot series of books to the Will Smith movie of the same name is a bit of a stretch, if that is what you meant. 😉

As for Moon vs. 2001:

[*:1i1ugu4i]Both movies have improbably huge, all-white, sets. That makes them visually similar to each other while simultaneously distinctive from most other space movies.

[*:1i1ugu4i]Both feature creepy, crazy, deceptive, talking computers, with acronym names, that make a habit of killing people.

[*:1i1ugu4i]Both are more in the "social fiction" category than "science fiction". There is very little science in either of them.

I'm not saying that Moon is as important as 2001. 2001 was unique and ground-breaking while Moon is an obvious knock-off. 2001 was weirder and more provocative. But Moon is a more complex and, for me, a more interesting movie than 2001.

To compare the two seems obvious. Personally, I thought that Moon is a better sequel to 2001 than 2010 was.

YMMV, of course.

ReplyQuote
Bullwinkle
(@bullwinkle)

farcodev wrote:

little science 😯

my god, perhaps we don't have the same definition of science then

2001 is hard-sf as Moon

Computers that lie -- without being programmed to do that? Computers that find creative new uses for existing tech; while freely over-riding their own, built-in, safety mechanisms? Single-point-of-failure computers that run everything... with no "off" switch? No ability to shut down one sub-system for repair while other systems continue? No manual-override? No operator-assisted diagnostics?

Vast, mostly empty, environments with plentiful life support (and gravity) but no apparent purpose?

All that white?

Improbably small crews, in remote areas, for long periods of time, with no reliable communication? No apparent support? No backups? No fail-safes? Improbably-advanced computer and life support tech, but not even a phone (or sub-space radio) that works?

Obviously, all fiction requires a "suspension of disbelief". I am just pointing out that, unlike most sci-fi, Moon and 2001 do not even attempt to explain any of the above. The only "science" in either movie is that they take place in space.

As for the rest of what you said... I am sorry. I do not understand your point(s). If you are trying to say that 2001 broke new ground, then I already agreed. 2001 is more "artsy" and provocative. Kubrik was a master with the camera and HAL's one-liners are timeless.

Personally, however, I enjoyed Moon more than 2001. I found Moon's plot to be deeper and more interesting (although equally unlikely).

But I respect your opinion if your experience was different.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I dont think any one can make a near future film without some reference to 2001 and as the director

say himself Gerty 3000 is an homage to Hal.They also address the lack of moon gravity,much

as they would have liked to have done it,it was just down to budget reason,although there

is one shot in the film where it is shown.

ReplyQuote
Bullwinkle
(@bullwinkle)

(With tongue firmly in cheek...)

Friday nights always seem to involve a good-nature power struggle over which movie to watch. Usually, the one who is least fatigued from the rigors of the week "wins". As long as there is plenty of popcorn (maybe with Frank's Hot Sauce?), it usually winds up with enough cuddling to work out for all concerned.

When I let my wife pick the movie, she always seems to choose some painfully slow-paced tear-jerker with no obvious point. 😉

But if I pick something "good" (as defined by the principle that the "best" movies can be measured by the number of rounds fired 🙂 ), then she falls asleep ten minutes into the flick.

So I always have one eye open for great Date Movies... the kind that we both enjoy. French films are favorite Date Movies, because it is OK if we don't completely understand them, and they usually have enough naked babes to make up for the lack of any "real" point.

It is a rare treat to find a Sci-Fi film that she enjoys as much as I. In that category, I have to mention a couple of favorites:

The Time Traveler's Wife (2009) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Traveler%27s_Wife

Alien Visitor (a.k.a. Epsilon (1997)) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112974/

Both are more fantasy than sci-fi (and that is not a criticism, farcodev -- it is just a subjective observation! 😛 ). Still, both are based on time (or Faster Than Light) travel. There is only a single round fired between the two movies, so you will not mistake them for action films. But both are beautiful and timeless, so they "stick" in memory as great-movies-that-were-never-box-office-hits.

I ran into Alien Visitor completely by accident. I grabbed it at the video store when I had already seen all of the other "new" sci-fi vids. I was expecting a B-movie about aliens, but it turned out to be more of an art film about a tree-hugger from another planet. Nevertheless, any description I could give would be woefully incomplete. The movie stood out for me as something different that I am very glad to have seen. No CGI; a cast of two; and not a single ray gun in sight. And, yet, it stands out from the crowd.

For reasons that I cannot explain, I would have to put Alien Visitor on my Top Twenty list of all-time favorite films.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Anyone seen the spin off show from BSG "Caprica",What's its like?. ❓

ReplyQuote
Bullwinkle
(@bullwinkle)

PINBACK wrote:
Anyone seen the spin off show from BSG "Caprica",What's its like?. ❓

I think it is pretty cool. Caprica explains where Cylons came from, and it is a creative and engaging story.

Like Stargate Universe, the series is slow moving, so far. They have spent far more time on character development than on plot development. I hope that will change soon!

However, also like Stargate Universe, there have been a few moments that stand out as terrific sci-fi.

I strongly recommend seeing the first episode, which is identical to the pilot, called "Caprica"; originally released last year.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Cheers Bullwinkle I will have to see if I can catch the show some time.

ReplyQuote
Bullwinkle
(@bullwinkle)

PINBACK wrote:
Cheers Bullwinkle I will have to see if I can catch the show some time.

Most TV shows can be streamed from their network's web site: Caprica on SyFy Rewind

Or, sometimes, from Hulu: Caprica on Hulu

Or downloaded: Caprica Season 1 using something like: uTorrent

Caution: Too much TV can rot your brain:

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Watched Surrogates on Friday and it was pretty good. Us lazy humans finally make androids to represent ourselves in the real world while we lay on a bed. And things start to happen in our no crime society.

They could have done a lot more with this film in my opinion to make it great, overall worth a watch for the scifi lover.

ReplyQuote
Braindead
(@braindead)
Master Chief Registered

District 9 is definitely worth watching. It's what I call a semi-realistic scifi because of the fact that the pretense is absolutely plausible. Racism is sadly a very true part of life 😥

Thanks for the heads up on Renaissance and Cargo, haven't seen those 2 yet, I'll go see if I can find them somewhere.

As far as series go I'm all for the Stargate series. I really didn't like the original Stargate at first but the lack of scifi series made me watch it anyways and it really grew on me. And it got better. And then they made spinoffs, and those where even better. I really liked Atlantis and Universe is also quite good imho.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

de5me7 wrote:
ive got moon on dvd... i agree with most of the sentement on this thread. It hangs too much on one character that isnt that interesting and has a plot twist thats been cliche ever since arne did 6 days (is that the name of the film its 6 summit).

I didn't buy Moon and won't it is a good movie to watch once, but it really has no re-watch qualities to it, its a shame because it could have. But I think they made the move for only 1-10 mil so I guess you cannot expect much.

farcodev wrote:
Serenity - if you like soft scifi http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379786/

I saw the Serenity tv series on BD for under $30 I will probably pick this up this year sometime. Shame this was even cancelled. And the movie itself is good as well.

farcodev wrote:
District 9 is good, i wonder oif there'll be a sequel

I liked this movie and the talk has been more to do the prequel first.... why? I hate most of the prequels because they are usually worse than the first movie. District 9 setup a good sequel movie and they should look at that personally.

ReplyQuote