Notifications
Clear all

The Epic Space Game

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Not to be confused with the old game "Epic", this is a 2D space trading MMO, done by one guy called Ed, he's on kickstart now looking for a modest $20,000

http://www.kickstart...-space-game-mmo

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Overall nice concept, with F2P MMO's I would wonder how scaling would work since you would get influx of users and maybe assets being left behind. The way it sounds is that everything can be destroyed to some extent, will be nice to see this one in action.

ReplyQuote
Hypnotron
(@hypnotron)
Petty Officer Registered

This looked really really cool to me... until the video progressed and the economic focus and "everyone is trying to build an empire" bit was revealed. I'm just not interested in these types of games anymore. Admittedly i'm an older gamer.

My idea of an epic space game has exploration, adventure, discovery, and experiences that encourage personal introspection. It's not to say it doesn't have violence, but the nature of the violence isn't to spread like a virus and dominate the galaxy economically and militarily. The violence is primarily for defense as in the tradition of Star Trek.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

My idea of an epic space game has exploration, adventure, discovery, and experiences that encourage personal introspection. It's not to say it doesn't have violence, but the nature of the violence isn't to spread like a virus and dominate the galaxy economically and militarily. The violence is primarily for defense as in the tradition of Star Trek.

I am with you on that Hypnotron.
All I need is an infinite galaxy, some means to get by and the ability to purchase goodies for my one wee ship, being in control of no-ones destiny but my own and answerable to no-one in the finest Elite tradition. Here's your ship, there's the galaxy, now bugger off!

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

"... a ship and a star to steer her by!" Yep, that's all you really need!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Unfortunately the kickstar was unsuccessful for Epic.

What next?.

ReplyQuote
Hypnotron
(@hypnotron)
Petty Officer Registered

I think people need to spend time cultivating a fan base before they launch a kickstarter.

If you come out of nowhere and start asking for money, you're going to have problems.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

They have started another Kickstarter http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webinar/expansion-capital-ships-crews-in-epic-space-online?ref=live this one to just add capital ships and crew to the game

We're adding a new aspect to this MMO set in an Infinite Universe -- "Capital Ships" -- crewed by you and your mates.

"A top-down 2D shooter, that’s also a sandbox MMO, and space trading game. This is one of my favourite things about Kickstarter – it’s basically allowing for every mad genre cocktail to have an opportunity to be explored." - John Walker, Rock Paper Shotgun

5597616c8384f5c510a2096ea912ef86_large.pCapital Ships are the Largest Ships in the Universe, requiring a crew of real people to manage easily.

150b04bb0413c7713cf9cd1062aa8e77_large.p

Epic Space Online hosts players in a single universe with absolutely no borders or boundaries. You can fly in any direction in a procedurally generated universe.

The game is incredibly deep with too many aspects to cover at once, but anyone can scratch the surface and start flying, trading, and building space stations now. (Soon on the iPad)

About the Project:

We're going to be bringing Capital Ships to Epic Space Online. These will be the largest ships in the game and will require not just you to operate, but an actual crew of real people!

This has never been done before in a 2D Space game and will be a significant feat. But the end result will be a ship flyable by anyone, where you can transport goods, people, and anything else you can think of across the universe.

This is going to be an add on to an already in depth game that's playable right now.

The Transport Ship (Crewed by You and Others)

3ec7a3f8caf64a5754d8865f1d151102_large.p

59692bca164918afd469fcc572269bb9_large.p

The expansion will include Carrier and Destroyer Capital ships.

d76c61d66dcf3990a1b8891af3330062_large.p

• One shared persistent sandbox/universe.
  • No Borders or Boundaries, fly in any direction.
  • Mining, piracy, industry.
  • Build and deploy space stations.
  • Deep crafting with hundreds of craftable items.
  • Unlimited Exploration.
  • Weekly Updates / Features.
  • 100% Player Driven.
  • Dozens of different ships.
  • Randomly generated content.
  • Epic Space Battles over an insane amount of territory.

ReplyQuote
JackBootedThug
(@jackbootedthug)
Crewman Registered

I have actually been playing this game for the last few weeks and have been enjoying it.

There has been a few bugs but the dev seems to be addressing them. The influx of players due to the successful kickstarter is really testing the game as it currently exists to its limit.

It is a slow game due to the scale (especially flying cargo ships to the frontier areas) yet there is something soothing about cruising through space with a payload with a purpose.

ReplyQuote
Draco
(@draco)
Crewman Registered

My only gripe about this game is that it takes soooo long to travel. But I'm looking forward to the capital ships.

ReplyQuote