Notifications
Clear all

MUST READ: Crysis Modification: X32i Redemption

Page 1 / 2

bako1
(@bako1)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

The critically acclaimed and award winning game engine, has the mod everyone on this website has been waiting for.

Still a work in progress, this mod progressing quickly, and hopefully can utilize some of the love from our site, to propel it to new heights, which it has already achieved. CryEngine 2 is known for its stunning beauty a limitless realism. If you are thinking about upgrading your rig, you better do it soon to enjoy this modification in all of it full blown glory. X32i Redemption : Vertical Horizons.

Check out the material for yourself at either:

http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=45990 CryMod Thread

http://www.x32i.org/ Official Website

If that hasn't captured your attention then here is some game info.

logobottom.jpg

Story

Space.

It all seemed like a dream, a future, a mystery.

Little did we know what was truly to come...

In the autumn of 2012, the United States military, in combination with NASA and several European space agencies, perfected the wormhole technology; a system of transporting vast amounts of goods, across immense distances, almost instantaneously.

Originally thought to be a possible respite from the terrorism and problems which plagued our homeworld, the USA kept this discovery secret from the other partner countries, hoping to find a new dawn, a new hope.

Using a series of natural phenomena, the USA began sending out probes, opening new portals, masked by periods of solar activity or other stellar occurences. However the results were not what the US government and scientists were expecting. Regardless of the calculations involved, regardless of the changes that should have made a difference, the final results were always, inexplicably, the same.

Every single probe returned results of the same body, the lost planet that would come to be known as X32I.

Eventually, as the scientists became more and more aware of what lay behind the wormhole, a manned space mission was planned.

This was launched in 2031, dubbed Operation Archimaedes. As far as the US military and government were concerned, it was a great success; humanity had made it's first true steps into the stars. By 2045 a space station lay in orbit of X32I, the US Amura, with the mandate to explore and understand the nature of the planet before them.

From this planet, the technologies and histories of an ancient race, known by scientists only as "race Alpha", began to be exhumed. This led to miraculous developments in both technology and also understanding, but for the notion of public order these advances and discoveries were kept purely behind closed doors, leaked slowly to the rest of humanity, much like microwave and computer technology had been only a century previously.

However, despite their best intentions, and the most covert research, the USA was not the only country in development of wormhole technology; European countries involved in the original research, yet not privy to the results, began to experiment with thier own data, whilst the Asian superpowers used technology, both stolen and internally developed, for the same purposes.

War was inevitable.

World War III finally erupted in the year 2067, sparked off by the unprovoked destruction of the Amura station. It culminated in the creation of the United Earth Alliance in 2071, a cross continental coalition of like-minded countries, born from the remnants of the now-dead European Union, along with the remaining American states. The west coast of America no longer existed, the result of a cross continental barrage of missile developed from technologies the Asian powers had stolen and created from their own missions to X32I.

Presented with the very real possibility of human extinction, the UEA council, led by Chancellor Garius Broadhall, forged the Atlantic-Asian Peace Concord; a treaty designed to prevent further hostilities, and intended to open the doors to a new era of peace and understanding.

*dramatic pause*

If only it had worked that way...

My name is David Greenhall, a son of the UEA. My family were originally descended from English and German blood, but none of that matters anymore. For the last 20 years, hostilities and tensions have slowly risen between the UEA and the remaining Asian and African powers, caused by needless bickering between member states and old racial hatreds, combined with the usual beareautcratic inadequacies, and inflamed by the constant raids sponsored by these states on our territories on X32I.

The time has come to claim X32I once and for all, to end the cycle that has plagued humanity since its discovery. To evolve.

May God commit this day forever to history, for it is the day that humanity will begin anew...

*Computer Voice*

The last recorded vox-log of David Greenhall, United Earth Alliance Naval Corps, dated 31st December 2144.

*Static*"

trailer1th.jpg

trailer2th.jpg

hangar_concept_update_ver.jpg

x32i%20suit%20concept_update_verth.jpg

Shant
(@shant)
Warrant Officer Registered

Music sure was nice on that.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Thanks for the heads up on this Bako1

Now is this a mod or is this a standalone game that will run without Crisis? The models on the website look great and like Shant said the music is well done. I will add this to the link site soon as I find out if it is a mod or standalone. Do keep us updated on this one cause it looks great.

ReplyQuote
bako1
(@bako1)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Yes this is very promising mod, and I wanted to post it to ensure it gets released and doesn't fail, as most nice looking modifications do. Initially i was sure that it would be a modification, but it appears that the author stated that if he can generate enough buzz, and people to purchase he will make it a standalone deal. Currently licensing Cryengine 2 technology is very expensive, and unless their is enough potential buyers. Crytek is leniant though, and would be smart to give this guy a good deal for his project because it could lead to more licensees.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Looks like X32i crew just posted a official trailer

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Def one to keep an eye on.

Do like that explosion on the old game play vid. 😎

ReplyQuote
fourteentoone
(@fourteentoone)
Petty Officer Registered

Hello all, I'm the composer / audio director for this project. (alias fourteentoone, real name Gareth Coker)

Thanks for the kind words so far. We would really appreciate some love from this site (found it after Googling X32i). This place is like a gigantic treasure chest and I look forward to spending more time here!

So please keep an eye out for us. We try very hard to put out updates once a month. Anything you guys can do to help get our name out more would be absolutely wonderful.

Your feedback, as always, is most welcome 🙂

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Hi Fourteentoone

Welcome to SSC and X32i looks like it is shaping up to be an amazing project. Oh and great work on the music for the videos 😉

fourteentoone wrote:
Thanks for the kind words so far. We would really appreciate some love from this site (found it after Googling X32i). This place is like a gigantic treasure chest and I look forward to spending more time here!

NP at all fourteentoone, it's exciting to see these projects popup. I do my best in trying to get developers to come and chat about there projects here and I think it does great things. Gives the community more insight on new games and helps build a following for the games the developers are making. 🙂

fourteentoone wrote:
So please keep an eye out for us. We try very hard to put out updates once a month. Anything you guys can do to help get our name out more would be absolutely wonderful.

Most definitely, we will be watching X32i progress. I guess my first question is, can you clarify if X32i is going to be only a mod for Crysis or will it be a standalone game (or both)? SSC is all about getting the word out on all space related games. The members and I do a pretty good job in finding all the latest games out there and I generally try to contact all the devs for info and chatting so maybe I might have a contact in the X32i team now 🙂

ReplyQuote
fourteentoone
(@fourteentoone)
Petty Officer Registered

As it stands, it's a mod for Crysis.

However, the plan is to make a full game using the CryEngine 2.

As it stands, and based on my discussions with SirBaron (project leader who may come here and post himself) - this is what I believe our plans are.

Game demo = Crysis Mod.

Full Game = Stand-alone game with the CE2.

This obviously depends on a lot of things, as it's no secret that the CryEngine 2 costs $$$$$$$$$$ to license.

We haven't really discussed the content for the demo yet, but I imagine it will (like X-Wing / TIE Fighter) have one 'Tour of Duty' which will be like a 'Chapter 1' for the full game.

The great thing about X32I, is that, because the game is set in space, the actual level design (placing of assets) is not particularly complex. Once we've done all the assets, it's all about creating exciting missions (mission design) with good narratives and pacing. There's no end to the possibilities, it'll be like using the TIE Fighter Mission Editor all over again!

Fortunately, none of that is my responsibility!

Having been part of the team since July, I've noticed one common trait amongst our members, and that is, we all are extremely passionate about Space Sims, and there haven't been many in recent years, certainly not of the calibre of those that were released in the 90's (this is just my opinion). I'm not saying we're going to be able to match that level, but we're certainly going to give it a shot.

As far as the audio goes, we have some interesting stuff planned. Dialog will be dialog. As we are telling a linear story, there won't really be much choice in what you say (not like Mass Effect) - but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I do know that we are planning on having full mission briefings (a la X-Wing / TIE Fighter) - where you may be able to ask questions on certain aspects of the mission that may help you during the mission.

Sound effects is the trickiest area. Upon release of this most recent trailer, the 'sound in space' debate has been brought up many times. Personally, I don't think it really matters. If it was good enough for Star Trek / Star Wars, I don't see what the problem is. It is after all, science-FICTION.

And as for the music, which is by far my greatest are of expertise, we are planning to have an adaptive score. It will be a more complex version of the IMUSE engine that was used in the original X-Wing / TIE Fighter games. The music will change in intensity according to the intensity of battles. On the arrival of cruiser or capital ships, there will be a musical cue to signal their arrival. When nothing is happening and you're just flying around waiting for something to happen, the music will be fairly sparse.

The chances of there being no music in the background during any point of the game are very slight. It will very much be the Bear McCreary / John Williams approach to scoring.

Finally, I'm friends with the percussionist for Battlestar Galactica, and he will be featuring on the soundtrack for X32I.

I don't normally write this much, but I'm on holiday (until Wednesday) - I will check back regularly to this forum, and keep you guys posted. I will also tell our other members to do so as well.

P.S. Please vote for us at http://www.moddb.com/mods/x32i

Thanks for taking the time to check us out!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

fourteentoone wrote:
we all are extremely passionate about Space Sims, and there haven't been many in recent years, certainly not of the calibre of those that were released in the 90's (this is just my opinion).

Agree entirely on this. If more space combat sim games were like Wing Commander, Freespace and X-Wing people wouldn't be wondering where all the space combat games are 🙂

Personally nothing wrong with a X-Wing vs Tie Fighter approach to X32i at all. And I like the fact that you mentioned general level design won't be to difficult. As for sounds in space yes if you go technical there wouldn't be much sound at all but what fun is that? I have a great soundcard and speakers for a reason so the more gun fire and explosions the better for me 🙂

It seems like there is some good interest for the X32i mod. I will make an area for X32i since the devs will be stopping by to give some updates. Anything SSC can do to help the space game genre 😉

ReplyQuote
fourteentoone
(@fourteentoone)
Petty Officer Registered

Oh no....not 'X-Wing vs TIE Fighter' --- that game isn't fit to tie the shoelaces of the original X-Wing and the original TIE Fighter game.

🙂

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I actually never played the originals only XvsT. But if X32i has fast twich based combat it will be a winner in my book. Fourteentoone will X32i have just space combat or will there be any FPS elements since Crysis is a FPS?

Oh and the link to vote for X32i on Moddb is http://www.moddb.com/mods/x32i not that other one 🙂

ReplyQuote
fourteentoone
(@fourteentoone)
Petty Officer Registered

The FPS elements are likely to be as follows:

This is based only on what we've discussed so far, and is as always subject to change. Plus, I don't really want to give everything away!

1) Non-mission FPS stuff: Walking around your base ship for briefings etc... and conversations with NPC's. You won't spend a great deal of time here, (and won't need to) - but you have the option of doing so. You'll have a room where you sleep where you can view your achievements, medals, uniforms, ribbons, etc.etc. and receive messages from other crew members or other storyline characters.

For example, you can see the hangar in the concept art. That will eventually be modelled and be an area which you can walk around and make upgrades to your ship, etc.

2) During the mission you MIGHT be able to get out of your ship and spacewalk to prepare your ship, or a wingman's ship, or a broken satellite. This is very much on the list of 'things we'd like to include but might not to'. If it adds to the game, we'll do it but if it breaks up the pacing, we won't.

Now, if we make a ton of money and get asked to do a sequel, who knows what could be included 😀

You owe it to yourself to play the X-Wing and TIE Fighter originals. Particularly TIE Fighter. The mission design is FLAWLESS, and the combat is extraordinary.

ReplyQuote
Shant
(@shant)
Warrant Officer Registered

Glad to have you aboard fourteentone (is that a reference to a micro-tonal scale?). I'm a composer out here in LA as well, nice to have a fellow musician. Was that a real piano in the trailer? Heck of a sample if not. The solo violin was a sample though, yes? What are you using? Your vocalist did a beautiful job as well.

ReplyQuote
philzero
(@philzero)
Crewman Registered

Phil Booth here, I'm a modeler and concept artist for x32i. Thought I'd poke my head in and say hi 🙂

This is a great site, I've just been reading through some of the forum threads and you guys are certainly going to be helpful in making this game something that every space sim fan can be very proud of.

I'll be lurking around here so feel free to shoot questions at me 😉

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

fourteentoone wrote:
The FPS elements are likely to be as follows:

This is based only on what we've discussed so far, and is as always subject to change. Plus, I don't really want to give everything away!

1) Non-mission FPS stuff: Walking around your base ship for briefings etc... and conversations with NPC's. You won't spend a great deal of time here, (and won't need to) - but you have the option of doing so. You'll have a room where you sleep where you can view your achievements, medals, uniforms, ribbons, etc.etc. and receive messages from other crew members or other storyline characters.

For example, you can see the hangar in the concept art. That will eventually be modelled and be an area which you can walk around and make upgrades to your ship, etc.

2) During the mission you MIGHT be able to get out of your ship and spacewalk to prepare your ship, or a wingman's ship, or a broken satellite. This is very much on the list of 'things we'd like to include but might not to'. If it adds to the game, we'll do it but if it breaks up the pacing, we won't.

I definitely want to see more of this in space sims,I don't think you just have the old endless follow the way points

missions shoot a few enemies,protect the convoys missions anymore.There needs to be more for the player to do,not just between the missions but also on the missions.There needs to be more interaction with the environment,which I grant you will be hard to achieve as space tends to be on the big and empty side.But games like The Tomorrow War and Precursors for all there flaws are starting to show the way.

ReplyQuote
Tyranuus
(@tyranuus)
Petty Officer Registered

Hi guys, given your love for our project and this being pointed out, I thought I'd come say hi!

I'm Tyr, I'm the writer on the project, and also have a hand in the design, although more on a story/universe/coherancy etc side than technical or artistic side.

All I'll say is there are a lot of plans, however beyond the basics we are not going to promise that much, as we don't want to 'Molyneux-ise' this project. In fact, we have more ideas than could really make it into one game. The real trick will be getting the assets finished, then crafting the story and everything around it to make an enticing, interesting game.

Either way, there are more releases and stuff to come from us later this year, and we hope everyone approves.

Oh and before anyone says it, there are wings on these ships because the design brief for fighter craft includes atmospheric flight and combat. The cruisers are not so much designed for this, hence the more interesting shapes.

Whilst this is science fiction, we want there to be a sense of continuation and believability in the game, rather than pure fantastic science fiction, we are quite intent on this being a believeable as well as interesting universe.

To give you an idea of how much thought does go into some of this we actually had a discussion on 'what should a bridge look like?', I kid you not, there is a lot of thought that goes into this, same as there are a lot of concept art/early sketches we dont use, as we dont feel they are evocative/interesting enough, or in the case of one set, they simply don't fit.

Either way, we're not promising the mona lisa of space games, but what we're promising is that by release, it will be something us, as the team, would be happy to play, rather than releasing it 'because we have to', if the game isn't fun...well it won't be released in the state it's in, simply said.

Oh as a small extra tidbit, the background DarkOne has kindly linked is actually the original version. This has been completely re-written and revamped, and should be going up in an update sometime soon, and will hopefully present you with a more interesting universe, as well as a small hint at the characterisation of the player character. One thing that was decided between me and Dave (SirBaron) early on is, that whilst the main character isn't going to be speaking all the time, he's not going to be a half life/final fantasy-esque mute.

Oh and we also have a lot of ideas for easter eggs.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

What kind of asteroids/belts are in the game,are they your normal boring go nowhere rotate on axis

type.Or do you plan on having some movement and rotation to them or cascade effect when you blow one

of them up,basically what iam looking for is something like this clip from Empire.

ReplyQuote
fourteentoone
(@fourteentoone)
Petty Officer Registered

I don't know the answer to this question, but given CryEngine's ability to handle breakable objects, I would imagine that anything is possible, Maybe even to the level of Super Stardust HD, for example...

I know that this would be possible, but someone higher up than me would have to answer.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

fourteentoone wrote:
I don't know the answer to this question, but given CryEngine's ability to handle breakable objects, I would imagine that anything is possible, Maybe even to the level of Super Stardust HD, for example...

Ah the old amiga game. 😀

I just found this clip,it looks a bit onrails but I thinks this shows the basic idea but the player

needs more control over the ship and the asteroids need to be bigger and moving all over.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

The X32i team has won me over with there dedication to informing the community. X32i now has there own dedication forum area for the devs to talk it up with the fans about X32I. How could I not make an area when three devs show up. 🙂

Like all the other devs here you will get your own 'vip' rank. So thanks for the great work on X32i and taking the time with the SSC members to discuss your Crysis mod and hopefully standalone game. With X32i being in the main forum area you will get a lot more attention that this project deserves.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Hmmm been kinda silent in the X32i world...?

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Been silent for a while now ....

ReplyQuote
Tyranuus
(@tyranuus)
Petty Officer Registered

I apologise for our silence.The project and our work is not dead, but there have been a couple of real life events outside the teams control that have taken a toll on the project's progress recently, so whilst things are still happening, overall output has been lower than expected for a couple of months, which has been completely unavoidable.

Beyond the more serious events that we've had people taking respites due to work, college, or even going on holidays (whaaaaat?)! These things happen.

As it stands though we still have a hell of a lot of work to do anyway, so bar on trailer releases there are bound to be periods of radio silence between releases.

We do have new internal work still being done though, given the scale of the project, the number of ships with have shown off in media so far is miniscule, and we dont want to use every concept art we're given, we fully intend to try and pick the best of the bunch, so it can be slow going.

Going on the Black Mesa Source build release, Id say we've plenty of time before we fall behind haha

ReplyQuote
Tyranuus
(@tyranuus)
Petty Officer Registered

As you guys may have noticed if you've been following us over on moddb or read the new thread, our project has officially changed from a CryEngine Mod, to a UDK Indie title.

We've had the idea of changing from a mod to an Indie title for quite some time now, and the fact we've come out and actually said this should give you some idea on how determined we are to make this happen.

There are a few reasons we've shifted away from CE2, but I think you'll find the final product will not suffer from the change, if anything it may well transition between states more smoothly, as despite it's issues, Epic's support for thier engine is far higher than Crytek's support for thier own.

Our new Moddb page is over at http://www.moddb.com/games/x32i-redemption

With a devblog from SirBaron commenting on some of the silence and the changeover 🙂

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2