Notifications
Clear all

Orbital Racer (simulation mode) review (by me)

tsmspace
(@tsmspace)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Nice review @tsmspace you made flying in that game look so easy.... nice controller you put together too. I have never heard of Orbital Racer until this review. I know you created that controller your using but do they have controllers out like that? If not you should look into making that a reality 🙂

ReplyQuote
tsmspace
(@tsmspace)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @sscadmin

Nice review @tsmspace you made flying in that game look so easy.... nice controller you put together too. I have never heard of Orbital Racer until this review. I know you created that controller your using but do they have controllers out like that? If not you should look into making that a reality 🙂

Darkone 

I have not found one. I made a few other videos about it you can see on my youtube channel. 

The game is small time, but I found it searching for.... exactly that game interestingly. technically I still want another game, that would work like that old 2d space taxi game, with levels and you just have navigational challenges for slow speed,, tight spaces, you die in one touch of the walls, things like that. Between the racing game and such a space taxi game, that would complete the navigation training circuit I picture,, and actually combat is really covered by Infinity Battlescape, which I am starting to monkey with a bit more lately and although no ones' really on that game I am VERY excited about it because it has me fully covered. (well, I wish that the make of "thrust and shoot" would add more to that game, but he went on capital ships and probably later i will be glad he did) 

as for the controller,, I have been trying to share it around in hopes that someone would make one. I emailed thrustmaster, I tried to put feedback to microsoft, I searched for a way to comment to playstation and then I try to share it on facebook,,, I have showed the Infinity Battlescape steam page, and some people from inovae did respond and like it. If you're genuinely interested in the controller,, it won't happen tomorrow but I bought some parts to make a handful of them to see if I could find people who would try to pick up the skill of using it a little bit and see how they liked it. You could make your own, my quality of work is low, but if you're interested, I will come back to this forum maybe in a few weeks with one that's ready and I would absolutely love to send you one. If you want to make one,, I do have a "hackaday.io" page that I put the code and the app download links,, the app is "vjoyserialfeeder" made by someone on github named "cleric-k", and the code is there too, but on my hackaday you can get my settings and my specific code for the pinout I used,, so the project is no trouble for someone with some project experience, but if you really don't want to write a code and set up the controller my stuff is all there, just put yours together the same way. 

As far as "being an inventor", I just don't feel capable of that kind of pursuit. Microsoft could do things like get patents and such, but I can't do that stuff, , the best I can hope for is that someone likes it and "steals" the idea. I do plan to keep trying to share it, and I do think that such a game controller is easy to use, intuitive for 6dof thrust, and has all of the advantages that made game controllers so popular overall. I know about the space-mouse, I will one day buy one, and I know about the various joystick configurations,, but a game controller is easy to just hold, you can sit anywhere, kick your legs up etc. and if you sit close enough to the keyboard, you can still use it for advanced controls, usually you aren't in the middle of a high performance maneuver for those buttons anyway. 

ReplyQuote