Notifications
Clear all

Interview with Bernd Lehahn

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Thanks to Shea   who posted the link in the chat box to the original interview on  http://www.pcgameshardware.de/X-Rebirth-PC-236813/Specials/X-Rebirth-Interview-Bernd-Lehahn-1078452/ It's in German so I have run it through Google Translator for the below English one.

Looks like the game will be out in August.........maybe?.

X-Rebirth: "It's this year" - Interview with Bernd Lehahn by Egosoft

Thilo Bayer

|

12/07/2013 15:00 clock

|

PCGH in conversation with Egosoft studio boss Bernd Lehahn: When will X-Rebirth? How long Egosoft is working on the space simulation? And what keeps Bernd Lehahn of PS4, Xbox One and crowdfunding? We have the answers!

x_rebirth_screen_036.jpeg http://www.pcgameshardware.de/X-Rebirth-PC-236813/Specials/X-Rebirth-Interview-Bernd-Lehahn-1078452/galerie/2066117/&usg=ALkJrhgmc1LjDsgmD6HoQG8pEEq6M9cZ9 g" title="'X' means the freedom to do what you want '- Interview with Bernd Lehahn">

"X means the freedom to do what you want" - Interview with Bernd Lehahn [Source: see gallery] X-Rebirth is a long time in development, very long time. And by the time the development is not just reporting easier. Ask for the release date prohibit almost, you finally do not want to annoy his interlocutor. But that has not stopped us: together with the PCGHX community ( http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/sportspiele-und-simulationen/151146-sammelthread-x-rebirth.html&usg=ALkJrhj92qRdVlldJ9apauc8tgqv78jFt g">collective thread X-Rebirth ), we have created a rock-hard questions and send it to Bernd Lehan, studio boss of X-Rebirth developer Egosoft. Thank you at this point to answer the questions and that our impatience was suffered while answering. 🙂

PCGH: Since when are you working now already to X-Rebirth Team Strength and what you have at the moment at Egosoft?

Bernd Lehahn: We now been incredible six and a half years working on X-Rebirth. The project began in 2007. We have in the meantime even more time working something on the old series and as last X3: Albion Prelude released, which indeed represents a kind of link between old and new games universe, but the vast majority of our always about 20-strong team has the all time worked on X-Rebirth.

PCGH: Do you have some basic ideas rejected in the time or do you work more "on track"?

Bernd Lehahn: In a linear game that is built on levels, it may be possible to build such a large project, "according to plan". But in a free universe every part of every other part depends. We have set out to correct many of the design flaws of the X series, but also to make the space games in general to a wider public interest. Much of what we have planned there, had to prove themselves in practice and our work consists largely of constant correcting and improving the original concepts. Nevertheless, the main objectives and the planned start methods to achieve this, remained the same.

PCGH: There is still no release date. Can you questions for a date ever hear?

Bernd Lehahn: It's a running joke in forums and on our Facebook pages. Whatever we post there, no matter whether we announce a new Linux and MAC version of our X3 series that get all the people added free to your Windows version, or great new missions for X3: Albion Prelude, there is always the first the people who say: If indeed great, but that does not interest us all. WHEN COMING X REBIRTH. Well ... Very soon I will finally be able to say more ...

PCGH: Free of the liver: When you want to announce the release date? Or in other words: Did you set how much advance notice between the date and the release will be?

Bernd Lehahn: OK ... The release date for the release date is ... In early August 😉

PCGH: What makes the development so complex that you can not at least say: it comes this year or next year?

Bernd Lehahn: There comes this year.

PCGH: What are the three biggest differences in short for Albion Prelude?

Bernd Lehahn: It is impossible, since only three points rauszusuchen. Actually, pretty much everything is so different. It is much easier to say what stays the same, namely, that what I always refer to as the "Spirit of the X-Universe." The freedom to do what you want. A simulated real economy, which is based on the entire universe. So a game in which every action can have an impact for the whole universe.

PCGH: X-Rebirth is supposed to be beginner-friendly. If the hardcore fans stand out at all? As you can imagine this easier access?

Bernd Lehahn: outsourcing of many functions that were previously all in one boat possible, many specialized ships or drones. Operation by talking to NPCs, rather than by complicated menus. A controller that makes the whole game can also be operated with a gamepad. More ...

PCGH: Binds her community in the current phase of a development? If so, how does this happen and what suggestions could you possibly already implemented?

Bernd Lehahn: At the moment it is not possible to the same extent as we have done in previous X games consistently, because only a small group of about 200 people has been an early version of the game. But for us it is essential that the development of X-Rebirth with the publication of X-Rebirth 1.0 only really get going.

PCGH: Did you ever made ​​you worry about a possible collector's edition? How would that look?

Bernd Lehahn: That's up to our publishers. It has been talked about, but is not yet decided.

PCGH: Does your graphics engine for now if it still works or of effects? What torments for high-end PCs with most X-Rebirth?

Bernd Lehahn: The engine has been standing for a long time and it is always fine-tuned her. In particular, the performance is always improved. For the engine we still have many plans that we will tackle after publication, because at the moment our focus is entirely directed to X-Rebirth finally be able to show the public.
I would say that X Rebirth graphics card and CPU torments in almost equal measure. Through the consistent interpretation on multithreading we also overload calculator with many cores of very strong, but it always comes at the end of the interaction with the graphics card.

PCGH: 2011 You told us that the renderer is DirectX 9 and Tessellationsfunktion of DX11 is unfit for X-Rebirth. Has anything changed in the statements anno 2013?

Lehahn Bernd: As I said, the engine has been around for a while. We focus at the moment on the gameplay and improve the primary engine performance. But there are also, despite DirectX 9 first time a lot of new graphics features and much new splendor. We are hardly limited because of DX9 also remains, although it certainly comes into question, after the release of an update to reflect.

PCGH: At what stage of development you are doing it to you to work on the scaling for different PC systems? You can now roughly estimate that PC will be required at least?

Bernd Lehahn: The engine has long been designed so that we can adjust the level of detail in each of the hardware and many graphics features. But as far as the absolute minimum, we have not yet been determined, there is indeed optimized until the end.

X_Rebirth_Screenshot__1_.jpg

"We feel because of DX9 also remains largely limited" - Interview with Bernd Lehahn [Source: see gallery]
PCGH: Will there be an X in this life with multiplayer, even if it is only in the LAN?

Bernd Lehahn: You talk about this YOUR life? Do you smoke? Do you have health problems? Send me times a health check by your doctor, then I can answer this question better 😉

PCGH: The One Xbox and PS4're now arrived in the x86 world. Have you followed the topic? Welcomes you to develop, if so, why?

Bernd Lehahn: The CPU architecture is me because honestly really matter. We have dealt with the CPUs of the predecessor and could also handle it well. More problematic is the memory requirement. Since the new consoles are also a great thing for us. I can not say yet whether the interest is in the future for us though.

PCGH: About crowdfunding platforms increasingly retro game concepts (Adventures, Classic RPG, turn-based strategy, etc.) come back to the market. But ye feel more comfortable with your publisher or would it be an option for the future for you to kick start sometimes?

Bernd Lehahn: I think Kickstarter is a great thing and myself have already supported many projects. Whether this is also something for us, now I can not say.

PCGH: Thanks for the interview!

Bild 1 von 5

• X_Rebirth_Screenshot__17_.jpgpx.gif

X-Rebirth: Screenshots aus dem Spiel (1)

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Hmm so August sometime, next month. 🙂 We'll see if that is true, you would think the PR engine would have already been active if that was the case. But if it hits in August it will be nice. I think I have to get a new machine, there is a lot of games coming with some seriously good looking visuals and I want to be able to see that type of gameplay when I play. X-Rebirth has always looked very good visually to me in the past, I know for me it is really the gameplay that I will be taking a look at. There is a reason why I have never completed an X game and it was basically bordom, visuals will only take me so far and I hope that Egosoft really does deliver on that front.

6yrs is a long development cycle and I do hope it pays off for Egosoft because this is their livelihoods and if X-Rebirth comes out slow it could be painful. If I was them I would really consider the nextgen consoles since they are PC's with decent hardware so why not, stick that sucker in the PS/Xbox stores and let people download and play it.

But back to the engine, personally and no offense to the WinXP users. They need to just make this game DX11 period. DX11 has been out what almost 4 yrs now. People need to upgrade there systems, if you have Win7 which probably most gamers have (I guess) than your OS already supports it you just need to drop some $$ on a newer gfx card that can deliver and trust me you will love it and did you know that besides X-Rebirth, Star Citizen is coming and that is DX11 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

I guess a lot of the PR is down to their publisher "Deep Silver" although you would think if the game is coming out next month their would be more.

ReplyQuote
shea
 shea
(@shea)
Petty Officer Registered

I guess a lot of the PR is down to their publisher "Deep Silver" although you would think if the game is coming out next month their would be more.

Don't think the release is nxt month,Bernd said that the release for the release will be eairly nxt month

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Don't think the release is nxt month,Bernd said that the release for the release will be eairly nxt month

Would that be a go to the publisher?.

ReplyQuote
shea
 shea
(@shea)
Petty Officer Registered

Would that be a go to the publisher?.

The I c it,is that deepsilver already know the release date,but egosoft are going tell the public eairly next month.

ReplyQuote