Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] FFED3D Complete Package

Page 4 / 4

Rarog
(@rarog)
Petty Officer Registered

FFE D3D -=Full Pack=- v1.12b++ (24.05.2011)

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpost.p ... tcount=719

ReplyQuote
snout
(@snout)
Crewman Registered

Trying to download the 29th June 2012 upload to this website, but it keeps cutting off before the download has finished. Any ideas?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

'snout' wrote:

Trying to download the 29th June 2012 upload to this website, but it keeps cutting off before the download has finished. Any ideas?

There could be any number of reasons for it not working, try putting a post in the SCC Administration forum http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/forum/3-ssc-administration/ if you still not having any luck with downloading it.

ReplyQuote
Badpun23
(@badpun23)
Crewman Registered

First of all, I don't have the cerebral bandwidth to express the sheer volume of thanks you deserve for everything you've done here, so a heartfelt sincere "Thank You!" will have to suffice!

Thank You!

Second, I found this site via a comment on io9 dot com (in case you ever wondered how folk find you).

Third, Thank You again! I've been a huge fan of the Elite series since the very fiirst time I watched the ringed planet slowly fill in on the loading screen on my friend's Acorn Electron back in 1980-whenever-that-was, and it was in fact my trying to enable the necessary extended memory for Frontier in DOS 5.0 (I think...) that set me on the path to all things IT so you can imagine the depth of sentiment I have for Elite.

At the risk of serial repetition, thank you all so much for your generosity, time, effort and (patently obvious) love for these games. Glad that people like me get to benefit!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

ADMIN: Any reason I can’t post to the New FFED3D builds from Ittiz & AndyJ thread? The site keeps forgetting I’m logged in…

Try now, I did a little maintenance this weekend and maybe the cache didn't update properly. Also make sure you flush your browser cache as well that may be holding old data and causing you some issues.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I haven't run AndyJ stuff yet, but I would agree with Steve. You shouldn't need anything but those two packages (FFED3D and AndyJ package)

ReplyQuote
Gernot66
(@gernot66)
Lieutenant Registered

complete but with no mods to enable (it is as it is), so to say a FFED3D starter kit, inclusive videos my latest crap and textures in 8bit to speed up loading. it has some issues i will have to explore them, this is a quick and dirty repack.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/frlgkhn1h846dr9/FFED3Dgernot20180705.zip?dl=0

ReplyQuote
Gernot66
(@gernot66)
Lieutenant Registered

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Gernot. It is simply wonderful to see you back, weaving your magic once again. You can do a great many things but my goodness, can you build ships and starports! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Gernot66
(@gernot66)
Lieutenant Registered

not bad as i would say.

i guess yes i will have a little spare time to work again on both projects, mostly because i bought this cute notebook for my mom, which is in fact heavy used by myself (i bought it for myself hm?).
It's much more fun to work on something if that something runs fine on your machine.

ReplyQuote
Gernot66
(@gernot66)
Lieutenant Registered

as usual it was broken this one will work fine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fqqwj55la5pj0x/FFED3Dgernot20180706.zip?dl=0

if one likes to have some of the old ships:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ng728k17cwxx3t1/MODS_ships_ffed3d.zip?dl=0

ReplyQuote
AndyJ
(@andyj)
Senior Chief Registered

"complete but with no mods to enable (it is as it is), so to say a FFED3D starter kit, inclusive videos my latest crap and textures in 8bit to speed up loading. it has some issues i will have to explore them, this is a quick and dirty repack."

Sorry, but no don't do this.

FFED3DAJ is my own personal project that I've worked on for 5 years now. I've put in thousands of hours bug fixing, enhancing and supporting it.
I provide it to others as a patch to add over FFED3D. That's it: use it or don't use it.
It's really not cool for anyone to repackage my project and redistribute it.

And that also includes making "show-case" videos under the caption of FFED3DAJ which aren't using the recommended installation and textures. That gives a false impression of my build and is unlikely to align with how I intend it to be seen.
I'm not saying that no videos can be created which use it, just that if anyone does wants to show case their own mods/work then please ensure that it has an appropriate title to reflect that, to avoid any potential confusion.

Thanks.

(I really do miss the old download pages that let us describe what our packages are, and how they should be used)

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

(I really do miss the old download pages that let us describe what our packages are, and how they should be used)

Trying to work on a good solution for this. Its frustrating because php sometimes times out for folks with a slow connection and the hacked way I have it now anyone should be able to download because its direct to the file and not through php. I would say it was my host, but I ran into this with the other software I used where I could have file descriptions. People can still upload through the file section in their profile.

ReplyQuote
AndyJ
(@andyj)
Senior Chief Registered

My point on the video was more that it's just titled with the name of my project. (and no other description)
If someone finds it on YouTube then they'd assume that it represents my project - which it doesn't.

If it was titled, I dunno "My Texture & Model mods for FFED3D, July 2018" with a short description underneath - e.g. "Showcasing my texture mod for speedier loading and replacement models for <insert ships/buildings here>" then it'd be clear to anyone finding it what it is.
As a suggestion I'd include a quick summary of what's being run - e.g. "My TexturePack1 and ModelPack1 can be found <here>" if it's to encourage people from YouTube to try it.

Regarding if there is a classic FFED3DAJ "look" - well I do recommended to install it over the Ittiz build of 2013 because it has a more up-to-date collection of models (I know, I'm in trouble saying that in THIS thread!) and yes, to add the nanite2000 high-resolution texture sets. I asked him if he'd like to put together some planet textures for the 1.10 build, as I was adding the functionality to texture different areas of terrain and define which textures to use per-planet type via an ini file. We released the new build and the texture packs at the same time, because that was how I wanted the new build to be seen.
So if I was going to showcase my build, that would be the setup - the only change to the .cfg being that to enable the planet textures - the "skins" version being the preference although they both look the same in the intro sequence.

I'd agree with anyone creating new content should keep it simple and just zip up the files, perhaps with a text file containing a short description and instruction of where to unpack it if it's not obvious.
The mod manager is an extra step to go through, and I'm not sure that most people realise it's there. If it's there... the Ittiz build removed it completely (oops).

ReplyQuote
AndyJ
(@andyj)
Senior Chief Registered

(I also meant to mention that the base pack that I recommend does include the videos, which is why it's a much larger download/installation)

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4