Notifications
Clear all

What joystick to choose?

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Hey Everyone

I have a bit of a dilemma I hope people can give some insight on.

I wanted to purchase a new joystick and i wanted to be able to use it with both my PC and my PS3 and I found three models that fit the bill:

1. Saitek PS40 Aviator Joystick - http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/av8rps3v2.htm

2. T-Flight Stick X - http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.asp ... tformID=12

3. T-flight Hotas Stick - http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.asp ... tformID=12

Not too many reviews on these yet and wanted to get some opinions. I have been leaning towards the Saitek because they have always been solid for me in the past. But #3 has some good features and of course the throttle.

Thanks for the feedback

Xolodnik
(@xolodnik)
Crewman Registered

I can't comment directly on the newer Thrustmaster products but ten years back I used their HOTAS setup and was pleased with their performance and reliability; The company has changed hands since then though.

I currently use a Saitek X45, not the latest from them but it was the basis for their popular X52. Speaking generally, I like the X45 because of the way the joystick uses a single large spring to provide tension rather than multiple internal springs like most other joysticks; the movement in all directions feels smoother and more natural and the chance of the spring breaking is very small. If you've ever owned a joystick which sees heavy use, you will understand that the springs are usually the weakest part of the design mechanically and the first to break so the large spring on the Saitek is a big plus.

X

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I was leaning towards the Saitek personally since I have owned several of there products in the past and they have always performed as expected. I also need to have the PS3 functionality as well. Thanks Xolodnik for the tips.

ReplyQuote
r3dfiv3
(@r3dfiv3)
Petty Officer Registered

You can get a Saitek X52 fcs at a pretty decent price these days...

But some time after my sim-pit is built I may go BALLS TO THE WALLS !!!!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Hey r3dfiv3

That flight system is really something amazing, I would have to have the perfect desk setup warrant that purchase. Because I would have to have the right amount of room and also setup so your arms and hands can play for a while without straining. I need to find some type of chair or something for that. Because most the time my desk is too high and I end up putting the joystick in my lap to play. That's why as of late I have become good at the mouse play.

ReplyQuote
LtBlack
(@ltblack)
Petty Officer Registered

~S~

X52 pro with trackir is the only way to go 🙂 The reprogramable keyboard function is the best and have had no problems as long as you do not double key LOL

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I need a new desk to use that system. i have to hold mine in my lap because my table is too high. So that would be more than a $100+ joystick purchase for me since I would have to buy a new desk or chair system 🙂

But eventually I will the purchase. I actually have grown found of using my mouse lately with some games it is just so much more accurate and the response time is great. But I know that is another conversation.

ReplyQuote