Clear all

[Sticky] !! Pioneer Question Time !! - Ask them here

Page 15 / 52

fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Przemyslav wrote:
fluffyfreak wrote:
I'll give it a go 🙂 just got home, unfortunately bumped into my old boss and had a bottle of wine.. each, so lets see when I next post 😆

Thank you soooooo much 🙂

Okay my actual commit changelist is here:

https://github.com/fluffyfreak/pioneer/commit/01d4ea618ab94ecf900bebc184e480198e0a7f76

It's based off the latest master I could get so you could try compiling it yourself, otherwise you'll have to wait for it to be accepted into the master branch (IF it gets accepted) and then for another nightly build to be done.

This is more to the other devs: when you guys have built a specific nightly based version for people to test etc where do you upload it?

Andy

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  
Code:
Lang::DRIVE_MIL9,0,

+ Equip::SLOT_ENGINE, -1, {Equip::MILITARY_FUEL},

+ 21400000, 285, 9, 0, 0, 0

+ }

Hey, you see this: {Equip::MILITARY_FUEL} ? Thats its fuel requirement, if you want to cheat like a mother... just remove that 😉 Also you see this number : 285, 9, 285 is the mass, but 9 is the power... With fuel use removed you might as well ramp this number up to 100 or 1000...

However upping power and leaving the fuel requirement intact will drastically increase its fuel use.... But doing this and removing fuel use will give you an insanely powerful drive 🙂

Anyway I thought I would mention that as I thought you were actually looking to cheat and not just expand the available drives 🙂

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

s2odan wrote:
Anyway I thought I would mention that as I thought you were actually looking to cheat and not just expand the available drives 🙂

Hah, no cheating would be on way of doing it but have you actually put a Class 9 Mil drive into a ship 😯 it's _amazing_ it pretty much is cheating once you have one of those!

I never understood why there wasn't parity between the normal drives and the Military spec' ones except that I assumed the Military forces get them secret for their own mythical warships.

However I actually wanted to expand the drives available to players.

In the future it might also be nice to offer tune-ups or replacement in-system drives too so that you could improve the thrust say of the standard Eagle you have inherited rather than being forced to replace it with another ship...

So many ideas, so little time. I suppose my contract does end in 2 weeks, though I am hoping I'll have something else lined up by then! 😆

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

The Frontier manual had it that the military had access to more advanced drives, but that they hadn't been released into the public arena; civilian attempts to produce a class 4 military drive hadn't yet produced a safe and stable drive system.

I'm happy to see these drives exist, but I think that the in-game fiction should hold onto the poor availability. Perhaps only through a military mission, or a really high-end civilian mission, could such a drive come your way.

Right now, of course, there are no practical limits on what's available for general sale. Before release, though, there should be a mechanism for limiting availability of goods, equipment and ships by faction, tech level, licensing, compatibility or even arbitrary per-station settings.

ReplyQuote
Przemyslav
(@przemyslav)
Senior Chief Registered

I could use some advice, fluffyfreak - I have been trying with DevCpp and NMake but it is beyond my understanding and to be honest, after few hours am still where I started which means I don't know where to start...

I have downloaded your source and also the newest one of clean Pioneer.

I am using Windows.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

If you're using windows then download Visual Studio Express it's free.

There's already projects and solutions for 2008 and 2010.

I haven't been using anything else on Windows as I figured most people would just use VS Express as I didn't think DevCpp was still under development or being supported! 😳

ReplyQuote
Przemyslav
(@przemyslav)
Senior Chief Registered

Thank you for your kind support. I am downloading now the 2010 version. We'll see what happens 🙂

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Hmm, I'm still trying to figure out Git/Github. I'd like to just give you the link to my NewMilDrives branch of my repository but can't see an easy way of doing it.

I suppose you could just go to my repo and download the zip/tar straight from that branch, unzip it too a folder and give that a go.

You should be able to find within the Pioneer folder there should be this path:

\pioneer\win32\vc2010\

and the file: "pioneer.sln"

That's the solution which visual studio uses and the ".vcxproj" files are the various projects that it contains for the modelviewer and Pioneer itself.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Right, things you'll probably encounter as issues and one way of solving them for now.

I'm just going to type all of this out but if you need a video or pictures erm... I'll think of something! 🙂

Building the solution:

Open the vs2010 "pioneer.sln" with Visual Studio Express.

At the top, in the middle, there should be two dropdown boxes. One of these will have "Debug", "PreRelease" and "Release" - choose "Release".

Then in the "Solution Explorer" (left hand side) right-click on the line which says something like "Solution 'pioneer' (3 projects)" and choose to "Build Solution".

It should also say next to that what the shortcut key is, probably F7 or F5, so you can just press that in future.

If there are any errors, errors not warnings, shown in the output or error list windows along the bottom of the screen. Don't be put off if there are it's probably just some setup that will need tweaking.

Running Pionner from VS2010:

This always catches me out and I need to find a proper way of fixing it. The game _won't_ run at first.

There's a couple of things you need to setup so that it tries to run from the correct place and so it can find the dll's etc.

First go into "/pioneer/win32/libs/" and copy all of the dll's into the "/pioneer/" folder.

This is also the folder we're going to tell Pioneer to run from now.

1) go back to the "Solution Explorer" and right-click on the "pioneer" project.

2) choose "Set as Startup Project" - this means it's the one we'll be debugging.

3) right-click on the "pioneer" project again, this time choose "properties" - it's near the bottom.

4) under the "Configuration Properties" choose the "Debugging" panel.

5) You need to change the "Working Directory" to read "$(ProjectDir)..\..\"

6) Apply and then Ok the changes.

Assuming that everything compiled ok you should now be ready to run the Release version.

Go to the "Debug" menu and choose "Start Debugging", it should launch the game, it might complain about not having symbols or some other shit but just ok that and if the stars are correctly aligned the game should run.

I'm looking into building and uploading a built version for you somewhere with properly cheating engines but getting another person compiling this thing is invaluable too!

ReplyQuote
Przemyslav
(@przemyslav)
Senior Chief Registered

Thank you for your in-depth tutorial 🙂

It helped me, although I had to use VC2008 version - I forgot that I have some software that are not compatible with SP3 which is needed for 2010 to run.

Building gone pretty well 🙂 I will now hack this drive to use no fuel and have 1t mass and enormous power 😈

I think I will upload some screenshots later from the far side of the galaxy 😀

Thank you again 🙂 I wish all games had such support from dev's.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Awesome, attached is juts such a hacked exe! 🙂

I encourage everyone to hack away at the code though so give it a go and ask whatever questions you need.

I'm hellishly busy during the week but I'll try to get on here sneakily whilst at the office like I have the last couple 😈

ReplyQuote
Przemyslav
(@przemyslav)
Senior Chief Registered

I haxxed that exe even further, giving class 9 military power of 500k times more, so on standard starting ship with starting equipment it gives you almost 80k ly (24 kpc) range 😀 (77184.5 ly to be precise) 😀 😀

I have attached my exe too.

edit: Added my slightly enchanced Wave Hypersonic Fighter 😉 and I am not going to tell you what damn range it has 😆

edit2: Added more stable 5000 times more powerful drive. (Watch out to stop fast forward of game time short before hyperspace counter reaches 0, if not your game will go supernova ;p ye be warned)

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

These are absolutely crazy...............but I am going to give these exes a try anyway 😛

Well done Przemyslav & fluffyfreak 🙂 Now off to find Z'ha'dum 😎

ReplyQuote
joseph6085
(@joseph6085)
Crewman Registered

@Przemyslav

sorry to be a noob but how do i install these hacks every time i try to start them it says i'm missing the libvorbisfile.dll

ReplyQuote
Przemyslav
(@przemyslav)
Senior Chief Registered

joseph6085, no need to apologize 🙂

You should download fluffyfreak's source from here https://github.com/fluffyfreak/pioneer/downloads

When you open that archive you will have various catalogs, you must enter Win32\lib and copy all the .dll files from here to the Pioneer directory (just where the main Pioneer exe is located by default)

That should do the trick 🙂

ReplyQuote
joseph6085
(@joseph6085)
Crewman Registered

thank you but now there's another problem i am now getting a run time error every time i start the game

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

try deleting your model_cache folderin documents/Pioneer/model_cache

ReplyQuote
joseph6085
(@joseph6085)
Crewman Registered

nope and im running a windows 7 if that helps at all

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

the run time error will likely be model_cache, which you already checked, or language... so you might have forgotten to place the new language files into the data directory too, the game will crash horribly if there is an error in them, like a missing drive name.

ReplyQuote
joseph6085
(@joseph6085)
Crewman Registered

the run time error only with the hack when i put the .dll stuff for the hack Przemyslav gave, i can play the game just fine

ReplyQuote
Ziusudra
(@ziusudra)
Senior Chief Registered

Try replacing the data folder with the one in the zip you got the dll files from.

ReplyQuote
joseph6085
(@joseph6085)
Crewman Registered

still get the samething and im not sure why...... 😐

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Are you trying to get the Military Drives things I hacked together to work?

Plan A:

One way would be to download the zipped archive of my NewMilDrives branch that you've been pointed at, extract that to a folder somewhere, go into the Win32/libs folder and copy all of the DLLs, paste them into the pioneer folder (that one has win32, src, data, etc in it).

At this point there is nothing to run!

So next come back here and download the exe's from this post:

http://www.spacesimcentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1579&start=370#p23614

Then place this into the same folder as the DLL files. Now you should have my DLLs, my EXE and my Data from that branch.

Make sure that you now clear out your model_cache as the others have directed you earlier.

Plan B:

I'm currently working on a newer version with my recently fixed repository, this will be submitted for a inclusion with the main branch shortly where it will go up for discussion with the other dev's and everyone else, it may or may NOT get included depending on where people want the game to go.

If it doesn't get included but there's still demand for it then I'll see about building and uploading a stable version of it just for you guys 🙂

Andy

ReplyQuote
Przemyslav
(@przemyslav)
Senior Chief Registered

Maybe that lang file is making runtime error like s2odan suggested.

I have attached my english.txt, because it may be the key for you.

Funny thing is that I haven't cleared my model_cache and everything worked good. So maybe that lang file is missing.

Maybe try to download and install VB/VC runtimes?

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... px?id=5555

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... x?id=20429

ReplyQuote
Tony Spike
(@tonyspike)
Senior Chief Registered

dont mean to be a pain and sorry if these are dumb no brainer questions ....or have been asked before

are their any plans to add military presences somwhere down the line .........adding not only the standard bulk carriers ......but perhaps federation ....empire ....or any other races destroyer/cruiser types (i remember saying i would help with this) ....... and some sort of AI for them

perhaps you could become a military commander on one of their ships

or even having dockable large ships

what are the plans on extra curricular activitys and how difficult would it be to impliment them, either in the main core game or as an OXP

eg ......perhaps you could work for a taxi company ferrying passengers from planetside to station ......or maybe from planet to planet, ....just to earn a buck or ferry passengers to see subspace objects/the sights of a system ....take several days ....go to some waypoints and orbit round them for a time .....come back ...idk shit like that

ok those are my questions ....now for my final thought (this part is just me wanting to pick peoples brains bout somthing ...not a question or suggestion ....ansering is optional)

i saw somthing cool once ..in a game called universal combat i got for 50p in a bargain bin about a month back (yes i didnk know it was freeware till i looked it up but at 50p i wasnt going to moan) ......i thought to myself how cool ..would that kind of shit be ...if it was in pioneer

......having the ability to get out your ship and float in space .....even walk around planetside .....or become a colonial marine and take a shuttle down to a hotspot and kickass with your laser rifle lol ......ok this kind of shit probly wouldnt fit with pioneers "frontier remake" demographic ....but so what i think it would just be so f***king sweet a feature to have even if i know it wont happen .....sod it i can dream lol

actualy universal combat was a good idea poorly implimented (shitty controll interface ..ect ect).......be nice to see it done right eventualy ...i wonder if in 10 years time somthing like pioneer will step up to the plate

ReplyQuote
Page 15 / 52