Notifications
Clear all

Forming-up

MawhrinSkel
(@mawhrinskel)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  
So a little more work on the mechanics over the last few weeks with more improvements made to the turrets, each ship is brimming with turrets whose individual properties, mixed with those of the beam or projectile, release each pulse of energy loving towards the enemy with no pre-determined maths and now things are moving on I've been looking at the targeting habits of the turrets and giving the player a bit more control over them.

dddd8.gif

On the prettiness side, Alex has come through yet again with a new shield effect and as I really work the dirty lens glow into the game i've had a few ideas on using it to create depth-adding effects yet keeping things light on performance. You can see more shots of the shield in the latest blog Gallery.

SSCropped1.jpg

I also ripped out the UI, although it looked good it was actually pretty restrictive at what I could do with it and quite confusing to play. Text didn't really work for me either on a transparent background and I had a feeling we would encounter issues with localisation. Plus I have ideas about the new basic symbols system and think I can infuse it into the general play making it easier to know whats going on when it all kicks off. More on that in the blog post UI Simplified

In the latest video you'll see that the player ships are starting to come together to move and fight in formation. I'm stil scratching the suface of this mechanic which will deeply simplify battles with multiple ships and I start to look more at the 'Pack' idea from my orginal notes. But what is a 'Pack' and how will it help you? Find out in the blog post Formations

And one last thing, do you have twitter? Then you might as well follow me, that way you'll get the news directly.

ThymineC
(@thyminec)
Crewman Registered

That's some pretty nice work with the shield effects.

ReplyQuote
MawhrinSkel
(@mawhrinskel)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

That's some pretty nice work with the shield effects.

Thanks 🙂

ReplyQuote