NASA Moonbase Apha

Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

relaease of a brand new game

i don't wwan't to spend to much words about, try to find out about yourself

short: a Steam powered MMO, COOP, Strategy Game

official site: http://www.nasa.gov/offices/education/programs/national/ltp/games/moonbasealpha/index.html

download link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/39000/

"why we do that": http://education.jsc.nasa.gov/pdfs/NASA-Games-Guide-Laughlin-2005.pdf

Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Aha! You beat me to it this time Potsmoke! 😆 Yes downloaded it and had a playthrough. Could be better as I don't like the mini games and it's a wee bit sluggish on my old PC. I am sure though this game will see quite a few updates before it's time is out.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

I thought Moonbase Alpha is a demo for there MMO game Astronaut: Moon, Mars and Beyond.

http://ipp.gsfc.nasa.gov/mmo/

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

i guess it's foremost a educational project, but exactly that's what i like about the idea.

we need such things to have a collective goal to live for. something good that will pull us out of the mud!

i haven't played it yet, to much things are left on my desk opened by now, it has to be finished befor i start the next task.

allready i'm registered but i take my time, i'm not in a hurry.

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)
Warrant Officer Registered

Quote:
we need such things to have a collective goal to live for. something good that will pull us out of the mud!

After 30+ years of living with the NASA 'dream' I'm not so sure that's what Humanity as a whole needs any more. Considering the large percentage of my fellow humans don't even watch the news, let alone care about space exploration, and that people in general don't seem to have improved any despite the progress already made up there, I guess I feel that the answer to our problems lies down here, not up there. Of course we should go but I'd like to see humanity get itself in order FIRST before relying on panaceas from heaven.

Woah. Heavy thoughts for a thursday morning! Sorry guys!

ReplyQuote
MarkQuinn
(@markquinn)
Crewman Registered

Stardreamer wrote:
I feel that the answer to our problems lies down here, not up there.

Well, I don't know if scientific progress makes more problems or solves more problems. Probably a bit of both. But in terms of solving scientific problems, I'm much more optimistic about what the LHC might find than NASA et al studying the metabolisms of mice in a zero G environment. Of course I'm sure that was an ignorant statement I just made, but I just don't know enough about the space program to consider the issue any further. I'm sure my girlfriend, who's a pure NASA geek, could explain it to me ... but she just went to bed. 😕

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Stinks that you can only get this game on steam, is the steam download a fully usable game that you can save away and use later or do you need to have the steam to play?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

And what is Nabiru. ❓

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:
Stinks that you can only get this game on steam, is the steam download a fully usable game that you can save away and use later or do you need to have the steam to play?

You need the steam client, but you do not need to be constantly connected. You can play your games using the offlne mode. Once your game is tied to your account, you can download it again to many machines.

ReplyQuote
Vorg
 Vorg
(@vorg)
Petty Officer Registered

CaptainKal wrote:
Quote:

You need the steam client, but you do not need to be constantly connected. You can play your games using the offlne mode. Once your game is tied to your account, you can download it again to many machines.

hmm, I tried awhile back to play a game I got on steam when my ISP was down and It wouldn't let me until I connected. I was going to play the game because I couldn't get online until the ISP fixed their problem. I'd had the game downloaded for nearly a year. got it at one of those sales they had.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

It's a bit strange this game been on steam as is it not a free game.

ReplyQuote