Notifications
Clear all

Sundog request from Wayne Holder

Page 2 / 2

Incognito
(@incognito)
Petty Officer Registered

Only recently been introduced to Sundog, but it already has a wealth ideas I've wanted to try and incorporate in my own game idea.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

I wonder what the chances are that we may see a release this year.

It's a pity that Sundog is not better known and it's curious to see developers now going down that road that FTL did 32 years ago.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

UPDATE - March 14, 2016

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Nice some more details here. http://sundogresurrection.boards.net/thread/74/general-beta-information

Ok, we're getting close to releasing this thing, so here are some basics you need to know about the Beta. And of course, ask questions and ye shall be answered! smiley.png

• WHAT'S A BETA? The Beta is an early version of the game that is not considered complete or ready for public release as it contains known or suspected bugs, but is stable enough and complete enough to merit widespread testing by a select number of Beta testers. These Beta Testers will have access to the game early for the sole purpose of helping the development team identify additional issues that need to be addressed before the game is ready for prime time. 

• WHO CAN BE A BETA TESTER:  The Beta will be open to anyone who wants to play the game for the purpose of identifying bugs/issues and reporting them to the development team. No game design or computer experience needed, but it could be a plus. The biggest thing we need from our Beta Testers is reliable, useful reporting. Yes, playing Sundog early will be fun, but there will be a bit of work involved. And the game will probably be buggy - that's why we need your help!

• HOW CAN I BECOME A BETA TESTER? Send us a 20 word essay written on the back of a $50 dollar bill. Nah, seriously, when the time comes we will post a link on the website and the forums to a Non-Disclosure Agreement, whereby you the undersigned swear and affirm upon pain of death that you will not release copies of the Beta into the wild. Because we all know what happens then... starry-eyed Beta Sundog will run off with neighborhood bad-boy Star Wars Battlefront and together they will procreate Sunwars. Or Stardog. Whatever. It just can't happen.

Anyway, after you electronically sign the Non-Disclosure, you will be given a password for you to send via forum private message (PM) to the Beta Manager (Kailef) who will upgrade your forums account to Beta Tester rank. This will unlock all the Beta Boards, which include game download links, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, and Beta Discussion.

• WHAT DO I NEED TO RUN THE BETA? The game is written in Java, so you will need the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed on your computer. As of this writing, the current version of JRE is 8, and can be obtained here: Java JRE Download  As for hardware, we recommend the following:
            Screen Resolution: 1024x768 pixels or higher
  •         Memory: 2 GB or more
            Hard Disk Space: 150 megs       
            Graphics: (one of the following)
                    NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better
                    ATI Radeon 9500 or better
                    Intel 945 chipset

That being said, you might be able to play the game on a hardware configuration that is less than suggested above, with the exception of screen rez and HDD space. That's non-negotiable as of right now (future versions might have capability to go smaller).

• COOL. WHEN'S THIS HAPPENING? Excellent question. Most likely by mid-April, 2016, though that's subject to change.
  • SO WHAT TOOK SO LONG? Another excellent question. Stay... right... there... Don't move. Our orbital laser's targeting reticle is almost lined up on your noggin...

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Nice surprise this morning as the beta is now out.

Hey Sundoggers,

NEWS FLASH! The first BETA version has been finally released! yes, after all these years... Hopefully it's worth the wait!

So now we need Beta Testers to play the game and report bugs and suggested improvements! If you want to be a Beta Tester (of course you do, right?)

After signing, you will be given a password that you need to Private Message (PM) to Kailef, our Beta Feedback Manager. Once he gets that password, he will add you to the Beta Testing group which will make the Beta Boards visible on our Sundog forum. From there you can download the game files and read up on how the bug reports are to be submitted. We need your reports to improve the game and get it ready for a public release!

And of course, have fun playing!
-Jake & Wai

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

This is great news! So, anyone signing up for the Beta? I wish I could but I too busy right now.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

This is great news! So, anyone signing up for the Beta? I wish I could but I too busy right now.

Ditto, just no time at the moment but I'm really excited to see it and hope they release the first public version in a couple of months from now.

Also I hope they will let some one do a video of the game and it will also give them some exposure as well.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

New beta out.

Alright, we've released the second BETA version (version 0.2.1), which contains a number of bug fixes, including:

1. Slot machine sound level not controlled by game volume setting

2. Crash on saving game with a long name

3. Stars map shows "banville colony" under certain situations

4. CPU heats up (the game is now frame capped)

5. Top of window not fully visible and buttons not aligned to mouse arrow (same issue with display resolution set to 1024x768)

6. Pod driving sound doesn't stop

7. Game froze entering building and game window freeze (same problem with parts store)

8. "Hyperdrive boost" -1 credit cost

9. Achievements earned by clicking on trophy

10. Dialogue issue in pub booth conversations where an unnecessary article was used

11. Grammar and spelling fixes

Please download and use this new version. This is CRITICAL as the new version might have bugs that were not present in the earlier Beta.

Also, PLEASE make sure any bug reports you make now has the version number of the game. We SHOULD all be using the latest version, but if people are reporting bugs they encountered or made notes of during the previous version, we need to know that.

Download the new Beta from the same forum board where you obtained the first one.

Hows the beta going CaptainKal.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Can't say much, but if you played the ST original you will be plesantly surprised, and right at home!!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Can't say much, but if you played the ST original you will be plesantly surprised, and right at home!!

Understand CaptainKal I was just enquiring about how the game felt.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

New beta out check the website for more details.

Greetings friends,

We have a new Beta for you! It contains a number of bug fixes and includes a new adjustment to the planet-level market behavior. Please read the Release Notes for more info, AND please see the thread titled "Need feedback on new market system in Beta 2.7" in the BETA TESTING DISCUSSION board. We would like specific feedback on this adjustment, so your help is hugely appreciated!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Any sign of a release yet or are they still fiddling with the beta.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Yes it's been a while since we heard anything about Sundog.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Still in beta!! But they are adding some minor new requested features, and getting rid of bugs. Even at the current state, you can finish the main storyline!!

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Thanks for the update Cap't Kal. Hope they start to release some screen shots soon. Would love to see what the cities look like these days as well as the Sundog itself of course!

sundog-6.png

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Any one know what the current situation is with this, ie have they released anything yet, are they still working on it.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Wish I knew Pinback. I did find the NDA sign up page for the Beta but that ran out on April 30th this year so I doubt there is anymore access to it. I do hope they are still working on it tho.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

They are still working on it. Latest beta was released on 3rd of October. Bug fixing I think!!!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Good to hear that they are still working on the game, but you think they would have released something by now.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2