Notifications
Clear all

SC Alpha v3.7

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

I do like the cave mining aspect, I haven't played this much at all over all this time maybe 1hr over the last 7yrs. You would think you could possibly mine in peace with the size of these planets....? Or will ship scanners pickup people on the surface/under the surface on planets or asteroids? But this is definitely a nice addition, I like it over that ship mining mechanic... I hold it changed, but I hated the fact that you had to buy a mining ship to mine anything in your ship.

Topic Tags
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

3.7 is an improvement. It's far from perfect tho and bugs still can plague a gaming session. Biggest annoyance for now is the interdictions. There is far too many of them. But apart from that, it's getting there, slowly. Is it worth an install? I'd say yes, if only to check how it's progressed since the last time you tried it. Just remember to zero your throttle before engaging Quantum travel otherwise you will burn up hydrogen fuel needlessly. This also helps when you run into a group of asteroids as you can drop out very close to them. So close in fact that if your thrusters are running you will hit the damn things!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Some thing happened over the weekend and the usually announcement's were made with promised dates which will probably be missed, anyhow if your that interested their a video to watch and I thinks theirs a free trail of the game going on for a week or so.  

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Yes, it's the usual anniversary sale with different free fly ships available.

Check here for schedule.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I have to remind myself to load up the most recent build of SC... this has been a yearly event for me for several years now in December 😀 

But after listening to this presentation, looks like next summer when full persistence is hopefully in the game then it will be worth playing because spending your time in the game will mean something and you can actually feel like your time in the game is worth it because you will no longer loose what you acquire or build.

The server meshing that may be implemented next year would be a plus to make the universe seem lived in.

The game demo looked decent, they have done a good job on the interactions and small vehicles. Lets see what 2020 brings us.... I turn 50 in 2022 so maybe I will have a released Star Citizen at that time 😉

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

50 is just a distant memory for me now. 😑 

Hope I am still able to play this game when it does finally come out! 🙄 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @geraldine

50 is just a distant memory for me now.

You young'uns!

Oolite Naval Attaché

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Oh thank you, thank you.... You make me feel youthful 😉  I remember when I would kick my kids butts in games now I tend to be even or loose one-on-one, the age is catching up with my reaction times.... 

I will admit though Chris Roberts is going in the right direction in building a epic game but dang I bought into this in 2012 🙂 haha and in 2020 we might have a playable game with our progress being saved and server meshing allowing more people in a sector etc.... will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Heh I built my PC almost 2yrs ago now and by the time SC comes out I may need to upgrade gfx yet again because I doubt the Vega64 will be able to give me a great experience.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @sscadminI built my PC almost 2yrs ago now and by the time SC comes out I may need to upgrade gfx yet again...

<grins> I know the feeling!

I've only just finished building my new/old machine. All the components are brand new, but most are old spec.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 case, 3x140mm fans (2 in, 1 out)

Asus Sabertooth Mk1 Z97 mobo

intel i5-4690K 4x3.5 LGA 1150

32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 LP RAM

Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler

EVGA Supernova P2 850W Modular PSU

EVGA GTX 1070Ti 8GB

WD Blue 500GB SSD

Creative Sound Blaster Z

It should perform well, even limited as it is to DX11 (they'll have to prise my Win7 Pro from my cold, dead hands).

It's yet to be plumbed-in, as I'm buying a new desk soon, and I only want to engage the dust&cable monster once.

Next up, perhaps a 4K monitor. They're beginning to come down in price, albeit slowly.

Now stop swinging on my gate!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@cody

Hey Cody, if your sticking with Win 7 you should know Microsoft have installed a sneaky "upgrade to Windows 10" nag screen which will trigger on January the 14 and keep nagging you forever. Have a look here. Basically, head into your Task Scheduler and look for a folder in the Micro$oft/Windose section called "End Of Support". Click on it and up will pop to notifications in the Scheduler. Delete em!

EOS

Personally, I am gonna try Linux Mint or Manjaro for a while.

This post was modified 5 years ago 3 times by Geraldine

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Hey Cody, if your sticking with Win 7 you should know Microsoft have installed a sneaky "upgrade to Windows 10" nag screen...

<chuckles> If microslurp have managed to install that mierda on my machine, I'll be mightily impressed. I'm running Win7 Pro straight out of the box, you see - entirely unpatched. My install has never been anywhere near their update portal, and all update services are disabled.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

As regards Linux, I'll probably be trying Mint myself at some point - dual-boot it.

Oolite Naval Attaché

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@cody

Well you should be fine then in offline mode at least. On further investigation I found out the executable they installed was called EOSNotify.exe in the System32 folder and it was a bit of a bugger to get rid of it too, but I did by messing around with the permissions settings, and got rid of the registry stings too for it just for good measure, so I wont be getting any nag requesters. They might try to install it again tho so I will watch out for that.

I was thinking of maybe getting Win 10 Enterprise Edition because that is supposed to come without all the spyware garbage the standard versions are stuck with but that too has it's own garbage I'd never likely use and it isn't cheap either. Still think Linux is the way to go tho and to hell with Micro$oft and their sneaky ways! To me at least, a "personal computer" is just that, personal. Micro$oft seem to have forgotten that little detail.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@cody

Mint is nice. I installed the XFCE version on a little tablet I have that was previously useless with Win 10 bloatware. It couldn't run Oolite because the damn OS ate up all the resources it had! After mint was installed it was like a big weight had been lifted from it, the little thing became useful and, of course, Oolite Linux ran flawlessly. XFCE is pretty stripped down tho and is the most basic of all the Mint versions but for a wee basic machine, it's perfect. No nonsense, no fancy bobs and whistles, just a very fast OS it does what you need. Here is it's desktop, pretty basic eh?

Mint

But it's quick and a has a retro feel to it too which I like!

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Well you should be fine then in offline mode at least.

And online too - so far, anyway! One thing I know - my unpatched Win7 install runs lean and sweet!

I've got an old HDD in the spares box with WX installed on it, but I doubt I'll ever use it again.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Oolite Linux ran flawlessly

I believe the Oolite Linux maintainer (Getafix) has something like 10 Linux flavours installed on his machine.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@cody

Well you can tell him Mint XFCE likes it! 😀

ReplyQuote