Notifications
Clear all

X series first impressions *spoiler alert*

Page 1 / 4

robske
(@robske)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Played the game for 30 minutes (then CTD'd due to steam suddenly wanting to log out and back in without asking, sth with unstable network here).

But rather of telling you, here some screenshots from a very underpowered setup:

5lXWTvL.jpg

Owz97Yd.jpg

6Z2cO6I.jpg

4sZ0Rq2.jpg

which impressions do you get from these? 😀

MV2000
(@mv2000)

Looks.....glorious.

Just skimmed a bit over Steam's forum to see how many people cried of WAAH IT DIDNT WORK REFUND PLOX and WAAH EGOSOFT SCAMMED US complains because of the *SPOILER*crashes*SPOILER*. Hilarious.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Blade Runner

Very surprised my copy showed up this morning but I missed the postman, have to wait until tomorrow to get it now.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

Got on to play for about about 2 hours.  Haven't experienced a single crash or bug myself.  In interest of full disclosure, I've been pretty optimistic about it, but I am quite serious that I have had no bugs.

If I have a complaint from my initial impression it would be on performance: it seems like something that has been in development a real long time (because it has) and it could probably perform better than it does.  Granted, my system is aging and is do for an overhaul next year, but it fairs well on most things.

Otherwise?  Well the UI is quite different, they have kept the one good thing about the old X UI (clickable things in space) and ditched the rest.  Will it be an improvement?  Sure.  A huge one?  Probably not, but I haven't gotten into trading yet, and unlike a lot of people, I am perfectly happy to admit that I don't know everything about a game after playing it for 2 hours.

The people who are giving it 0's on metacritic and what not are just being ridiculous.  There is simply no way that they have seen enough of this huge game to get that impression of it.  Voice acting terrible?  Yeah, but give me a break, if you are giving things 0 because of voice acting... well get real.

I doubt this will be enough to make anyone any less excited about Elite or SC, but that's fine with me, I've been at least as excited about those as anyone.  I've been waiting for games of this type to come back for a long time, at worst I have another X3 and in my book that's great.

ReplyQuote
Dem
 Dem
(@dem)
Petty Officer Registered

I had the leave the cockpit and can't get backin after picking up the captain bug so i started a freeplay. game is beutiful but where the hell do i land? I'm old and it seems like too many choices on one station for me 🙂

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

Hello again.  

I have now gotten to fussing with the settings and playing a bit more.  

Indeed, the performance issues are pretty horrendous.  With my GPU only at 60% and my CPU at only 30% I am getting 20 to 30 FPS.  That's pretty bad.  The under-utilization indicates that something is truly broken.  The situation is pretty much the same nearly regardless of what I do with the graphics settings.

Seems Egosoft is keeping with there tradition of botching release.

Nonetheless, my initial impressions of the game (with the exception of the performance issues) are pretty much in line with my expectations.  If they can fix the framerate issues I think there will be a lot to enjoy here.

Anyway, if anybody knows of early fixes for this, let me know.

ReplyQuote
robske
(@robske)
Topic starter  

Sound problems may cause crashes (even when with proper code they shouldn't).

Try applying the fix on roguey's site:  http://roguey.co.uk/xrebirth/

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Your pics look great robske (which I embedded btw) and in looking at your shots, what is your detail settings like and does X:R support DX11?

I just compare the screenshot visuals to the trailer and there is some differences so just wondering what is different, and ExpandingMan complaining about the performance. What do you think playability will be like when there is a decent sized battle on the screen?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Ok spent a couple of hours playing the game and so far I am enjoying it (can't believe I said that about an X game) not run into any of the problems that the Steam monkeys have been complaining about although it early days yet.

One very minor problem I have is that I keep wanting to look to the right of the screen for some reason and their is the habitually problem with the tutorials telling you to do something but not explaining how to do it.

It's a very different game to the old X games and reminds me of Precursors and will not doubt have the fan boys in a rage but I think Egosoft have made a move in the right direction and it is going to be interesting to see where they go with it.

ReplyQuote
robske
(@robske)
Topic starter  

srPCKkB.jpg

5E8QKiP.jpg

My favorite thing to do in highways:

eRNMsiw.jpg

Some spoilers:
DFq6px5.jpg

iDPNQM6.jpg

k91Zpbz.jpg

RWjfeQq.jpg

mnZ0IbX.jpg

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

No, it does not use DX11.  It very clearly demonstrates the problems with having a game in development for so long.  Graphical scalability simply does not make up for the kinds of optimizations used by more recent game engines.  It's a shame because DX9 is a really good thing to get rid of as it has lots of problems.  For one, it has to duplicate everything in physical memory in RAM (which also suggests to me that it has the CPU doing more than is necessary to prepare frames, but I don't really know that for sure).  

How large battles will perform is hard to say, because of Egosoft's history I give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they will largely remedy the current rather severe performance issues.  We'll see then I suppose.

You'd think Egosoft would have learned some valuable lessons by now about opening up a bit and actually having a beta, but I guess not.  Oh well, like I said, they have done this with every single X game, why should Rebirth be different?

The only real disappointment here so far is that the UI is clearly not the night and day difference that I felt the X games really needed, although perhaps it will still prove more manageable, I'll only know when I have to really dig into it.  The hysterical people on Steam and metacritic really need to get a life.  (Admittedly, if they are not able to fix the performance issues, I'll join them in the hysteria, but I think right now that's really premature).

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

The UI seems to made for a Joypad think I will dig mine out see how it works.

Trading and moving goods around seems to the same as Privateer 2 where you hire a ship to do it or in this case use one of your own.

Looks like they have issued an apology  http://www.incgamers.com/2013/11/egosoft-apologise-for-the-state-of-x-rebirth although Incgamers gives no source as to where it came from.

First of all let me start by saying that I am very sorry if you personally experience problems with our new game. We are doing what we can to fix these issues as fast as possible. Below I will try to summarise some tips and inform you about our plans for updates and patches based on the feedback from threads in this forum and the egosoft community (which is unfortunately currently broken under the heavy load).

ReplyQuote
ThaiStick
(@thaistick)
Crewman Registered

Seemed to me,

that you have to be a Masochist Clock Maker to be able to Play the X-3 series, and get anywhere.

And that only after spending enough time on the Learning Curve to get a PHD.

That Said, I enjoyed playing X-AP with MODS that helped to smooth over some of the Micro Nit Picking needed.

Without MODS these Games would become Book Ends on the Shelf.

I had hoped to find a more friendly experience with Rebirth, With Better Menus and ways to Control even the Deepest aspect of the game.

But sorry to say NO Such Luck, this time around is like sitting in a Dentist Chair waiting for the Drill.

A real case of One Step Forward an Three Steps Back.

More like a Miscarriage than a ReBirth.

I can not understand how any Game Company can Completely Ignore and or Misunderstand their Customer Base.

Because it is apparent that they threw the PC Gamers to the wolves and Jumped in with the Console Gang.

And in so doing, threw a Gigantic Monkey Wrench into the Playability and Enjoyment of the Game.

Most notable is how they Completely disregarded the Forum and MOD Community, who have given suggestions,

feedback, and offers to improve their GUI, Hot-Keys, Menus, and other Complex Cluster Blobs.

So i have to AGREE with the Following post by another Gamer who makes some very good points.

What egosoft has done is they consolized the PC sim, which should've been a PC sim through and through and just made it into a space game instead. These are the things they are guilty of:

1. Graphics are a downgrade from previous X titles.

2. Gamepad support a priority instead of a Joystick.

3. Low resolution textures.

4. Copy pasted interiors of space stations, every space station looks the same.

5. Space ships are used as ground clutter, they're not real, they just sit there like a tree or a flower, just used as decoration. In the previous X titles, every single ship that you saw was simulated, did it's own thing, flew to a station and docked and you would see it there. Now they're just used as filler.

6. Another step back from a sim and making it a console game: In the previous X games (tired of seeing me type that yet?) You had to manually guide your ship to dock. If the dock was a small little opening in a space station you had to fly into it and then you were told you docked, on the other hand if you missed and flew too fast and hit the space station your ship blew up and you died. Now you just click the station select dock and you're in the space station, that is not a SIM that is a cheezeball arcade game.

I've only logged maybe 2 hours in this game and I'm sick of this crap. I hope their team carefully figure out where they draw the line of sim and a non sim game.

In my eyes, simulators started to die when Gran Tourismo used this as their catch phrase: "The Real Driving Simulator".

Yeah sorry, there are no driving simulators on consoles, no matter how much you try to argue with me, GT and Forza were and never will be sims.

These devs need to stop killing the genre. Learn by seeing what happened to Microsoft Flight Simulator, they tried to do the very same thing, bring the sim to the masses instead of continue to cater to the loyal fanbase.

Game was killed 5 months after release. LEARN!!!!!

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Ok spent a couple of hours playing the game and so far I am enjoying it (can't believe I said that about an X game)   not run into any of the problems that the Steam monkeys have been complaining about although it early days yet.

Ok! That's a first.   I am still waiting for my CE Box (But since I 've just came from a business trip, it's no big deal  🙂 ). Are you using a mouse, or a joystick? 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Mouse and keyboard, not tried it with a Joysticks as I seldom use one nowadays.

Had my first crash last night  was just looking at the map screen when it cashed also I am stuck at the deliver 100 energy cell I think it has delivered them but it hard to tell.

Be careful with the torch CaptainKal I nearly blinded myself with it. when I looking at it and wondering how it switched on. 😆

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

A real case of One Step Forward an Three Steps Back.

More like a Miscarriage than a ReBirth.

This is like the most brutal opinion that I've seen on this game so far :))))

ReplyQuote
robske
(@robske)
Topic starter  

@Thaistick: I can not find a way to find any reason in the game to make your criticism valid.

My main criticism:

- Bugs.

- Performance.

- Lack of feedback.

For the rest, due to my machine being underpowered, my recording of some big spacebattles did not process correctly (even though they were fairly well playable). By now I'm quite far into the storyline I suppose. Have yet to see any videos on youtube where people are so far. I must say it took me a lot of figuring out how to do everything. But by now I am well underway with building my first station and am starting to get big storyline missions involving big battles. I also had the gamescon demo combat part by now (it's not that far into the storyline).

Currently its still uploading, but the video will show up here:

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Well I got past the energy cell mission been through the gate and back again and I for one are really enjoying the game, love the background idea to this game as in the fall of empires ie think of the Foundation books or space vikings.

ReplyQuote
robske
(@robske)
Topic starter  

Well I got past the energy cell mission been through the gate and back again and I for one are really enjoying the game, love the background idea to this game as in the fall of empires ie think of the Foundation books or space vikings.

Agreed. Do know that some people find the issues in the game more annoying than I do for instance. I think some people for instance don't have the patience to spend 4 hours on trying to find out how to build a friggin station. I found out that I was doing it wrong. Something with RTFM.

Have recorded quite some new footage. Have by now built a nice combat capital with some money. Am soon to take it for a spin into albion and blast stuff to bits.

ReplyQuote
robske
(@robske)
Topic starter  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X3GDN_Reunion#Reception_and_criticism

The response X3 reunion got very much also applies to X rebirth. I had predicted that 😉

Currently uploading a more action-filled video. Will post a new one or edit this post if no reply has been in the meantime to post the video 🙂

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

My CE box came today!!!       Per Ardua Ad Astra!!!!!!        

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

I doubt much of your trouble is due to your machine being underpowered robske, I am getting severe under-utilization of my GPU, and many report the same.

Yeah, they deserve much of the flak they got because of the performance problems.  I'm going to wait to actually play it for that reason so I'm pretty frustrated.  

But what you say about Reunion is definitely true, and X3 turned out to be well worth hundreds of hours of gameplay.  I still have some hope for that with Rebirth.

ReplyQuote
robske
(@robske)
Topic starter  

One positive thing to consider is that Egosoft is known for providing decent to good post-release support. I am quite sure they will fix X rebirth through this too, just like they did with X3 reunion.

Action packed video is uploaded within 60 minutes (should be):

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Big vids 😎 Robske.

Lets us know how you get on CaptainKal.

ReplyQuote
robske
(@robske)
Topic starter  

36 minutes full with action packed stuff 🙂

Including:

- Blowing up a station building.

- Seizing capitals.

- Losing capitals.

- Accidentally pissing off Heart Of Albion (seems to have been a bug regarding local law enforcement. They are okay with me when I returned to De Vries).

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4