Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] !! Pioneer Question Time !! - Ask them here

Page 25 / 52

totya
(@totya)
Petty Officer Registered

robn wrote:
If you have a hyperspace cloud analyzer fitted you will see extra information when you target a hyperspace arrival or departure cloud:

For departure (red) clouds you'll also have an extra option on your comms menu (F4) to set your hyperspace target to wherever the ship was headed. This is how you follow a ship to another system, presumably to kill it 🙂

Hi! I try this, after hyperspace jump (hypercloud analyzer is attached), and I click to "hyperspace arrival cloud remnant" (blue), I don't see anything information. I never seen departure clouds (red), if I press F7 (hyperspavce jump), hyperspace is activated, without I see "departure clouds".

Thanks for answer.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Remnants have no information. They're the leftovers from a ship that recently came out of hyperspace. If the analyzer is fitted you'll see "Arrival cloud remnant" in the top-right of the screen when you select the cloud, which isn't really useful but does show that its working.

To see a departure cloud you need to wait for a NPC ship to jump. Hang around outside an orbital station. You'll see one eventually. Its how I set up that screenshot!

ReplyQuote
totya
(@totya)
Petty Officer Registered

Hi!

robn wrote:
Remnants have no information. They're the leftovers from a ship that recently came out of hyperspace. If the analyzer is fitted you'll see "Arrival cloud remnant" in the top-right of the screen when you select the cloud, which isn't really useful but does show that its working.

Confirmed, I see this.

robn wrote:
To see a departure cloud you need to wait for a NPC ship to jump. Hang around outside an orbital station. You'll see one eventually. Its how I set up that screenshot!

Thanks, this is clean, now. 🙂

ReplyQuote
totya
(@totya)
Petty Officer Registered

Hi!

Now I'm here: "Veay" system. I want go to Sol (default) system. F2, search box: Sol. But found system is "Solia". What I type to find "Sol" exactly?

Second question, many often F2 search box can't find the target system. Example, system is "Veay", and I find this: "Toliman", but this is not found...

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Ziusudra
(@ziusudra)
Senior Chief Registered

To find a system you first have to know what sector it is in. This why all the missions tell you both the name and sector of systems. Sol is in sector 0,0,0.

Use the cursor keys to move the map to the sector the system is in, then you can use the search.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

Maybe someday you can access it by entering the coordinates.

This may be easier to move with the arrows.

But we need more programmers who know how to play Pioneer. 😉

ReplyQuote
totya
(@totya)
Petty Officer Registered

Ziusudra wrote:
To find a system you first have to know what sector it is in. This why all the missions tell you both the name and sector of systems. Sol is in sector 0,0,0.

Use the cursor keys to move the map to the sector the system is in, then you can use the search.

Thanks, this is works, but is not very logical, because search function mean: search...

walterar wrote:
Maybe someday you can access it by entering the coordinates.

This may be easier to move with the arrows.

In search Box, I type to: "0,0,0 Sol" but not found this... what is the exactly search format with coordinates?

edit: OK I read, this is only "plan".

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

"...but is not very logical..."

In fact, human intelligence has regressed in the year 3200. All you see in Pioneer is reverse engineering of alien technology. 😉

ReplyQuote
totya
(@totya)
Petty Officer Registered

walterar wrote:
"...but is not very logical..."

In fact, human intelligence has regressed in the year 3200. All you see in Pioneer is reverse engineering of alien technology. 😉

Okay, but answer without joke? 🙂 I think this is bug.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

"I think this is bug."

The programmers work for free, they neglect their lives, their sons, their wives ...

And take very bad reviews of their work. 👿

Solution? Patience. Or learn C++ 😆

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

The search function searches the local star system cache. Basically, if it's on screen, search will find it. It cannot search through the entire galaxy because the galaxy is insanely huge.

You can't move to a sector directly, but you can speed up the map's scrolling. The shift keys do this; one of them speeds it up more than the other.

We envisage being able to set the hyperspace destination from a bulletin board ad in the future.

ReplyQuote
totya
(@totya)
Petty Officer Registered

walterar wrote:
"I think this is bug."

The programmers work for free, they neglect their lives, their sons, their wives ...

And take very bad reviews of their work. 👿

Solution? Patience. Or learn C++ 😆

Hi!

Relax, I wrote apps already, but not in C. This is my opinion, thats all. I know this is free project.

ReplyQuote
totya
(@totya)
Petty Officer Registered

Brianetta wrote:
The search function searches the local star system cache. Basically, if it's on screen, search will find it. It cannot search through the entire galaxy because the galaxy is insanely huge.

Hi!

Search function... if all planets information is indexed, search time is minimal, I think.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

totya wrote:
Search function... if all planets information is indexed, search time is minimal, I think.

Very true. The only problem is that we don't have all system information available to index - starsystems are generated on demand. It would take a long time and a good amount of memory/disk to generate them all up front in order to index them.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

totya wrote:
Brianetta wrote:

You are correct, but think as Robn says we only generate star systems on demand, i.e; when you want to look at them in the sector viewer or arrive in them by hyperspace.

We have to do that because we can't generate the hundreds of billions of star systems in advance, maybe in future we could make it a little more granular but this will take someone looking at and probably rewriting a lot of the star system / galaxy generation code.

Andy

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

Hi Andy. I do not understand why it is not possible to # 1254

experimentum periculosum? 🙂

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

walterar wrote:
Hi Andy. I do not understand why it is not possible to # 1254

experimentum periculosum? 🙂

Do you mean this one? https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/issues/1254

I believe the decision not to have visible "clouds" in space was done for realism. Most images of space are colourised to make things visible to the human eye that otherwise wouldn't be, however I can't actually find any unaltered images of space to know what it _really_ looks like through a window from the ISS of Space Shuttle with the naked eye.

I personally think we could risk a little nicer looking backgrounds without going completely mad and having glowing green nebulae but it's a contentious point amongst all of the developers.

Oh, and to do it, I'd cheat massively 😆 I certainly wouldn't use the real star system generator except for the closest stars which were already generated, the rest I would fake 😉

Andy

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

I meant # 1253

Dr. Alzheimer's fault. 😆

Agree with you on # 1254

ReplyQuote
totya
(@totya)
Petty Officer Registered

Hi!

First, planet map (F2) I see in 3D mode. This is realistic, but hard to find planet or position. I think 2D mode more better (see other space games).

Second.

fluffyfreak wrote:
we only generate star systems on demand

lol. This is mean (example) I'm docking on (4,4,4) Xplanets, save game, load game, and I'm docking on (4,4,4) YPlanets?

Or many good trade routes is changed and lost?

Third.

fluffyfreak wrote:
we can't generate the hundreds of billions of star systems in advance

(First solution)

Why need many planets, if these generated automatically? See, I think 50000 (static) planets is more than enough. Calculate... planet name, position, info, goverment, short description etc, example average 200 byte lengths. 50000*200= 10 Mbyte only. This is not much I think, pioneer exe in taskmanager I see uses 250Mbyte memory.

Okay, I see alternate solution. The first problem this, complicated default methods:

I see Bulletin board. (F4) Click to any, example Wolf 424 mission. I see the time limit. Okay. Press F2. Search this planet. Example search funcion is not working (this planets is not in actual sector). Okay, I serch this manually with sector info (x/x/x). I found this.

Example hydrogen is not enough, result is I don't see travel time. Need press F4, market, buy hydrogen... and back to F2.

Now I see mission time limit is okay with my ship(speed) or not. If okay (simple way), I need press F4 again, I need search last looked ads, select, and click Okay.

I think these unnecessary steps.

More simple this (Second solution):

I see Bulletin board. (F4) Click to any, example Wolf 424 mission. New menu appear: "See this planet on Star map" (equivalent with F2). (and/or new hotkey attached this map, example F5).

If I click to new menu (or new hotkey), I see Star map, with target planet, hyperspace target is now Wolf 424 automatically(!). I see travel time etc. In this page above the middle, new menus appear:

"Back to Bulletin board" (and/or new hotkey attached to back, example F5).

If I click on this, last seened ad is appear with ad menus (Why so much money, How soon must it...) etc. After I press OK, agreed, and that's all, mission is accepted.

Need modify original F2 menus too, working not only from bulletin board. Menus: currrent system, selected system, hyperspace target, new fourth menu is appear, new menu is:

"Buy required hydrogen to target, count is %yy%, price is %xx% in this planet"

Because if hydrgen is not enough to travel, travel time is not appear, and target is not accepted. If I cick on this menu, requred hydrogen is buy it automatically.

With this method "search planet" is not needed, because bulletin board contain exact planet information (x,x,x), and this is simple, and more logical and shorter than original method.

Other way (third solution):

planet cache.

When Bulletin board is appear, this app create simple cache, contain all ad target planet name with these positions. Minimal memory usage needed (about 400 byte example).

If I press F2, and use search, if "normal" search is not success, search is use planet cache, and lol, planet is found without this app store houndred of billion planet informations.

Under game (before exit), all visited planets needs to add planet cache, because I can travel to any planets, not only planets from bulletin board.

These few simple ideas to avoid "search is not working" problem.

ReplyQuote
Ziusudra
(@ziusudra)
Senior Chief Registered

totya wrote:
fluffyfreak wrote:
we only generate star systems on demand

lol. This is mean (example) I'm docking on (4,4,4) Xplanets, save game, load game, and I'm docking on (4,4,4) YPlanets?

Or many good trade routes is changed and lost?

No, each system is generated the same every time. They are also generated the same on the different platforms, so someone playing on Linux will see the same systems in 4,4,4 as someone playing on Windows.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

fluffyfreak wrote:
I believe the decision not to have visible "clouds" in space was done for realism. Most images of space are colourised to make things visible to the human eye that otherwise wouldn't be, however I can't actually find any unaltered images of space to know what it _really_ looks like through a window from the ISS of Space Shuttle with the naked eye.

I personally think we could risk a little nicer looking backgrounds without going completely mad and having glowing green nebulae but it's a contentious point amongst all of the developers.

Here's what Sol's background "clouds" look like in actual fact:

milky4.jpg

© 2011 - MOMENTUM BLOG | ALEXANDROS MARAGOS

Under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 license

Lovely pic, wish I'd taken it. Big problem here is that, pretty as it is, it's very faint. That's a half-minute exposure at 3200 - 6400 iso, f/2.8. You can only see it with the naked eye given very dark-adjusted eyes (oh, but it's so worth it if you get the opportunity), and you'd certainly never see it as a pretty backdrop to a sunlit object, such as a planet. The dynamic range would be way too high; either the background fades to black or the sunlit object dazzles you to blindness.

Nevertheless, the discreet clouds represented in Frontier's background are the very ones seen in the image above. It's not totally unreasonable to want to include them, although it'd be a bit suspect if the view didn't change after a few thousand light years. Since we have players that will happily travel a few thousand light years just to see if the view changes, we'd be rumbled if we cheated with a simple background image.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Many years ago, I spent some extended time in a 'desert' and the night sky was truly awesome. So rare now with all that light pollution!

Brianetta wrote:
Since we have players that will happily travel a few thousand light years just to see if the view changes, we'd be rumbled if we cheated with a simple background image.

I have to chuckle at that... I'd be one of them.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
SimonR
(@simonr)
Crewman Registered

You mentioned the galaxy being static in the sky and that would reduce some believability, if the galaxy was a seperate 'strip' across the sky, it could be scaled or moved in the sky as needed to correctly represent a distance from the galactic core. Perhaps, if other more subtle sky elements were used they could be scaled inversely to become larger as the galaxy nearest becomes smaller. The galaxy strip and any other elements could be rendered in front of the background 'skybox'.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Thought I would give Pioneer's Mod DB page a bump as I feel it needs a little love 😉

http://www.moddb.com/games/pioneer/#2966746

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Geraldine wrote:
Thought I would give Pioneer's Mod DB page a bump as I feel it needs a little love 😉

http://www.moddb.com/games/pioneer/#2966746

Yeah, I have too many places to keep to up to date and not enough time. Would you like to take over the ModDB page?

ReplyQuote
Page 25 / 52