Notifications
Clear all

Elite: Dangerous

Page 20 / 23

Stormprooter
(@stormprooter)
Master Chief Registered

Thought it would have been bigger.

Well, there are no 'maps' in the game - along with models for ships, stations, planets etc etc, game maps are a huge load on disk space. Because the galaxy is generated procedurally, this cuts down the amount of stuff required in the game client.

ReplyQuote
Stormprooter
(@stormprooter)
Master Chief Registered

I know its not a massive download, not like another certain space sim I could mention but wont!

It's OK, you can't call it a space sim at the moment anyway - because it isn't, yet 😀

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Got an answer back from Frontier, they say the installer 13 meg and the game about 2GB.

Did not get answer to what would happen if you lose the download half way through.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Re phased the question and the answer back was a yes that if your internet is interrupted during download it will pick up from the break.

Might give it a go at the weekend and see what happens.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Cool promo vid (and I still can't embed the damn things).

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Strange how you can't post videos Cody I just copied your link and it work fine.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

ReplyQuote
auryx
(@auryx)
Warrant Officer Registered

Oooh so pretty!

Although.....so many Federation-style ships, yawn. Imperial Courier for the win! 😀

auryx

You look good through a crosshair.

ReplyQuote
Ambrosius
(@ambrosius)
Senior Chief Registered

Very cute parody of Space Odyssey: 2001.

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

Erm ... Goose bumps.

... Probably the music.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

See the big news in this weeks news letter is that the standard beta is starting on the 29 of July, still going cost you £50 or around about $75 and the life time expansion pack is being withdrawn which will add another £35/$50 to the total.

We are delighted to announced that development continues to go very well, and July 29th will be the date when we enter the standard Beta phase!

Over the next few weeks we will be outlining the fantastic new features and content that we will add to the Beta – it’s a huge release, so ‘watch this space’ for more information.

You can purchase access to the standard Beta phase.  If you already have access to the full game, the correct discount will be automatically deducted when you check out.

Lifetime Expansion Pack - to be withdrawn from sale Alpha and Premium Beta came with a whole lot more than early access to the game - the Lifetime Expansion pack that is included is a significant benefit of being an early backer of Elite: Dangerous.

We have regularly said that depending on the level of success of Elite: Dangerous we intend to continue expanding it with new content and new features.

We plan to follow that same incremental development philosophy that we’ve done throughout our Alpha and Beta phases, and continue to significantly enhance the game via further expansions post-launch.

We do intend to release small, free updates after launch, but expansions that include significant new features and content will be charged for separately.  For example, our current roadmap is to add (in no particular order):

• Landing/ driving / prospecting on airless rocky planets, moons & asteroids
  • Walking around interiors and combative boarding of other ships
  • Combat and other interactions with other players and AIs in the internal areas of star ports
  • Accessing richly detailed planetary surfaces
  • Availability of giant ‘executive control’ ships to players

Alpha and Premium Beta customers, and those who have already bought the £35 expansion pass alongside either Beta or the full game, will have access to all these features and updates for as long as we create them at no further cost.

This means that if we are as successful as we hope to be, you will still be benefiting from the fantastic early support you gave us for a long time to come.

As we are now fast approaching the standard Beta phase, the time is right to withdraw the Lifetime Expansion Pass from sale.

On 29th July the Lifetime Expansion Pack will no longer be available to buy in the store shop, to coincide with the start of full Beta.

So if you are planning to join the Beta or buy the final game and want to add the Lifetime Expansion Pack, you now have one month to get automatic access to all future major expansions of Elite: Dangerous for £35.

ReplyQuote
Ambrosius
(@ambrosius)
Senior Chief Registered

Pay for beta -- right, lol.  I ain't no whale.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Pay for beta -- right, lol.  I ain't no whale.

This Whale is having alot of fun  😎

ReplyQuote
Overlord
(@overlord)
Master Chief Registered

Wow, just thinking about being able to walk around ships/stations alone would be unbelievable. But to fight in them? Oh my... Now its getting serious.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Wow, just thinking about being able to walk around ships/stations alone would be unbelievable. But to fight in them? Oh my... Now its getting serious.

Just imagine the space bar brawls we could enjoy.  😀

ReplyQuote
Shadowma45
(@shadowma45)
Senior Chief Registered

Ok now have game, but how do you go looking for bounties or know where to go & trade goods?

I need to know a non combative way to make some money so I can upgrade my ship to even have a chance lol!

So any info would be appreicated, thanks in advance.

Shadowma

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Lucky you I can't download the game, I have opened a ticket with the Support people and just waiting to hear back from them.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

A single-player combat training build has been released to Standard Betas - full Beta 1 to follow on 29th July.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Yes I am very glad to see this, hope the Standard Beta folk have fun with it.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Yes I am very glad to see this...

As would I be... if I had my new machine built! I can't do that 'til the end of the month!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Thargoid
(@thargoid)
Senior Chief Registered

I'm going to download the standard beta come end of the month and hope like heck my laptop can handle it!  Otherwise no playing for me...

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I am extremely disappointed with their technical support as my support ticket was answered after 3 days with a request for addition information and now after a week I have still not had any sort of answer back from them.

ReplyQuote
auryx
(@auryx)

Hmm, that's pretty rubbish. I'm going to hold off and wait for the actual final game to be released I think.

auryx

You look good through a crosshair.

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)

I am extremely disappointed with their technical support as my support ticket was answered after 3 days with a request for addition information and now after a week I have still not had any sort of answer back from them.

mmmh... I can imagine they're a bit flooded of work/bugs fix at this moment, plus the planned roadmap tasks

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

mmmh... I can imagine they're a bit flooded of work/bugs fix at this moment, plus the planned roadmap tasks

Maybe so but Frontier are a professional games developer with over 200 employees and two studios  I think some sort of acknowledgment should have been sent by now, even if was just along the lines of "we looking into it"

According to the email I got this week I can download the single player game so I will have a go over the weekend and see what happens.

Interesting article on Eurogamer http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-11-david-braben-explains-elite-dangerous-100-premium-beta with Braben tries to justify the Alpha/Beta price tag.

"We've taken flak for it," he said. "But the important thing for the alpha is, for it to be a genuine alpha, we didn't want huge numbers. Maybe we shouldn't have restricted it by price but it seemed like a logical thing to do. It seemed like a fair thing to do.

"And we're also making sure the people who backed at the higher levels are getting ongoing benefit even when alpha finished. And all the people who backed the at premium beta, which is finishing soon, as part of that they get all the expansions. So there are still benefits to these things."

ReplyQuote
Page 20 / 23