Notifications
Clear all

No Man's Sky

Page 7 / 17

ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)
Warrant Officer Registered

Hum maybe time to buy a PS4.

It's going to be released at the same time on PC you know.  Do you really want to play it at 30fps on medium settings?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

It's going to be released at the same time on PC you know.  Do you really want to play it at 30fps on medium settings?

I never been able to tell the difference with that 30fps thing and I don't know about the graphics difference between the PC and PS4 but it does look like they have gone for a style which will not push either machine.

ReplyQuote
Bouitaz
(@bouitaz)
Senior Chief Registered

I never been able to tell the difference with that 30fps thing and I don't know about the graphics difference between the PC and PS4 but it does look like they have gone for a style which will not push either machine.

Try this site out for comparison between different frames per second: https://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

Currently i'm playing with X-rebirth and i have planned to buy elite dangerous next months...it's a lot of meat on the fire! So i'll wait for no man's sky maybe i'll take it for lesser. Anyway i'm glad to see it's singleplayer, i dont' like MMO games, Elite it's an exception for me!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Try this site out for comparison between different frames per second: https://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

very slight difference between 30/60fps, then again maybe I need glasses

Anyhow back on the main topic, I see the PS4 also has a special edition of the game http://www.game.co.uk/en/no-mans-sky-special-edition-only-at-game-1058496/?cm_mmc=Twitter-_-Digital-_-NoMansSky-_-Link about £70 which is around £35 cheaper than the PC special edition. You don't get the metal model but you do get the game on disk and why can't you buy the PC version on disk.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Here is a nice video discussing all the gameplay that we know about thus far....

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Thanks for this DarkOne. This information I needed which might make my decision to pre-order this game.

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

Mmmmm! Fantastic! Looking to the video it seams a very good space sim, i dind't think it was a so complex game, more like elite or x rebirth than a simple space shooter.

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

Sean Murray said they were thinking about virtual reality support for No Man’s Sky, and it would be a “good fit” for the exploration and space combat. Now, in an interview with GameSpot, Murray says, “I think it’s [sic] perfect fit for virtual reality.”

[ref: playstationlifestyle :: Hello Games Thinks No Man’s Sky Would Be A “Perfect Fit” for Virtual Reality ]

Still no solid info on the VR part for NMS ... Which is definitely on my wish- & watch-list. 🙂

+ (Well ... other than that VR-support will not be available for NMS at NMS launch. "Hello games small team stuff and such".)

For the PS4 VR part, the next interesting date would be March 15th (2016).

[ref: engadget :: Sony admits Oculus Rift is technically better than PlayStation VR ]

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

The way they tend to present information on this game still really concerns me.  Why are we always seeing some stupid video with very little going on in it, with some guy showing us bullet points about what is supposed to be in the game instead of actually SHOWING IT.  It's very suspicious. 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Are you referring to the video posted by D1, if so it's not an official video it's just some YouTuber trying to fill the information void but Hello Games should have had the official web site http://www.no-mans-sky.com/ updated with at least a basic FAO on it at the same time they started taking pre orders for the game. Even the Steam forums don't seem to have had any input from them although their is a pinned thread with a number of links to different sites http://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/412448792345901601/ with the Reddit one https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/wiki/faq being the best source.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

Are you referring to the video posted by D1

Yes, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) it's not like the videos of all the things that he's talking about exist some place else.  Those kinds of videos just don't exist, all of the videos I have seen have been of someone lethargically strolling through various environments, and occasionally shooting a rock with a gun.  Sure, those are nice, but they spend so much time talking about features that we never see anywhere.  Granted, there are other games that take this type of (idiotic) approach at advertising, but it isn't the norm.  Take Ubisoft, for instance.  There are a lot of reasons to hate Ubisoft, but you can't deny that they SHOW the features they advertise before their games are released.  Lots of normal game play videos show at least a few hundred milliseconds of many of the features they advertise.  With No Man's Sky, they have released probably about a couple of hours of video total, but all of it shows the same thing, and almost none of it shows any of what they are always saying you will spend the majority of your time actually doing.  I suppose there is a good chance that this is due to some arcane marketing bullshit on Sony's part, but, regardless, I find it unsettling.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

With No Man's Sky, they have released probably about a couple of hours of video total, but all of it shows the same thing, and almost none of it shows any of what they are always saying you will spend the majority of your time actually doing.

They are trying to build hype and I cannot blame them this is Hello Games first major game. I believe they are fully aware that if they mislead us the steam rating will reflect this very quickly and sales will pay the price. Personally i think they would have delayed the release if they didn't think it was ready. Going back to your point we have been seeing similar videos for 2yrs now and just shows they have had this game in a running state for a while and probably have been just adding all these other features these past two years. I almost never buy a game when it comes out... heh I just recently bought X Rebirth after it went through years of patching 🙂 If Hello Games delivers this game should be popular with most people for a while, but the exploration has to be fun and challenging to keep people doing it.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Yes, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) it's not like the videos of all the things that he's talking about exist some place else.  Those kinds of videos just don't exist, all of the videos I have seen have been of someone lethargically strolling through various environments, and occasionally shooting a rock with a gun.

Aye they do tend to be similar but as D1 said it may just be down to the current build they had at the time when they made the video but with only about three months till the release of the game it's up to Hello Games to start putting out more details.

Just hope the next video not some unrealistic CGI trailer which shows nothing of the game itself.

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

I think it's a very good thing that No man's sky is released also for ps4...if space sims are made also for console this means (for me) that we are witnessing not only a reborn of this kind of games but a real affirmation on the market more than the golden age of the 90's.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

I think it's a very good thing that No man's sky is released also for ps4...if space sims are made also for console this means (for me) that we are witnessing not only a reborn of this kind of games but a real affirmation on the market more than the golden age of the 90's.

While it would be nice to finally see some space-sims have major commercial success, there are some significant down-sides to them being developed for consoles.  For one, while I do think that most space-sim control schemes can use some stream-lining, the control surfaces on consoles are extremely primitive (or, more importantly, less flexible), and in most cases would probably require cutting out a lot of features to make work.  Of course this will affect PC as well, because developers want to make a game that is the same on all platforms.  (Just look at the initial release of X Rebirth, which was originally intended to also release on XBone.)  Then there is of course the usual problems that console are SO far behind PC's in terms of computing power that developing for them encourages developers not to utilize the full potential of PC's and we often wind up with games which are badly optimized for PC.  I think buying a PS4 makes perfect sense if you average less than about 10 hours a week playing games (at that point it's probably just not worth it to you to buy a more expensive PC regardless of the benefits), but I will never understand why games on which players are expected to play hundreds of hours are successful on consoles at all.  Spending 20 hours a week on something is a major time commitment, that's half of a full-time job; if you are going to spend $400 to $600 on a console, you might as well wait a bit longer and spend an extra $100 to $200 on a PC that will give you far greater performance, and which you have practically unlimited ability to modify, including the choice of just about any control surface you can think of.

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

The article above is trash (I'm polite here), the only 'flop' the game could possibly generate would be that most promised features were simply not in the game, and nothing points to that. And then there is something like updates or patches like in any title. The game is scheduled to be released mid June.

Personally I'm more concerned that the PC version of the game will exclusively be offered by a gaming platform like Steam or other. I would like to purchase and get a version directly from the developer - even if more expensive -  and leave these game platforms away.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

I would agree the article is nothing more than some hysterical headline grabbing bit like the Daily Mail (UK news paper) in order to get the site some attention.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Its also going to be available on GOG. I have to admit, I am tempted!

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Its also going to be available on GOG. I have to admit, I am tempted!

Good news, thanks for the info !

Greets,

XenonS

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

Increasingly as this thing approaches release I think more and more that it will be a victim if it's hype.  People have crazy high expectations and all indications are that it will be pretty basic.  I am bothered by the fact that the gameplay videos tend to not show all these interesting things that they are advertising (I believe I made a post in the past about how discovering features usually consists of watching a YouTube video giving new features as bullet points, while the same gameplay video that's played a hundred times is shown in the background, and we never seem to actually see so many of these features).  

Since I am a fanatical science-fiction fan, and love just about anything which is set in space, I expect that I will probably get my share of enjoyment out of it regardless, even based on the little bits I've seen.  I doubt that the guy who spends his whole life playing fantasy RPG's or GTA, but plays No Man's Sky because he thinks it looks so amazing and special will see it quite that way, however.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Yes, NMS has the highest expectations I ever saw for a space game. And I'm even a little concerned that if one feature will not work as intended because of a bug or else, people will get hot, but never would they drive away from the title. But I really don't think that NMS will have the fate of X-Rebirth where almost nothing has worked at the release start. I see Sean Murray rather as a perfectionist, he would never allow a game going out with major flaws, or any flaws he's aware of.

I think the reason for making only 'selective' videos is a simple and sound one: You don't want to give information away to your concurents that would allow them to copy your work (or your ideas) before your title is even released. This would have very negative consequences on your sales, and I fully agree with this strategy.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Murry has said in the past that he does not want to board the hype train and unfortunately in the absence of very little official information, people have been reading between the lines and forming their own conclusions.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Yes, that's good and bad at the same time. Good as a promotion but bad if you deceive all these expectations. Maybe at the release, they will also release more precise videos showing more of the game mechanics? But then a flood of Youtube's from the gamers will also do. I'm curious, let's see...

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 17