Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] !! Pioneer Question Time !! - Ask them here

Page 4 / 52

ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

such an asteroid crashing into a planet could provide rare materials worth a lot if u could find em

ReplyQuote
Bugbear
(@bugbear)
Senior Chief Registered

Has anyone tried docking at a Torus station without the autopilot?

When I attempt to do so, I request docking permission, then fly deep into the green hazy entrance in the centre of the station.

I keep flying until I smack into the rear wall, then I can fire the thrusters in a random direction and bounce off the inside walls of the station until my hull disintegrates.

How does the autopilot manage to dock?

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

Bugbear im assuming alpha 8 will fix that i think alpha 7.5 does. alpha 7 has some bugs that have been fixed up and will be in alpha 8 in the next month or so when it comes out

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

Quote:

of course no big deal, Tie pilots have no space for a autopilot 😆 (with fitted hyperdrive)

just make shure you're not to fast 10 - 20 m/s will do fine.

you didn't even need to lower the landing gear.

oh, sorry i forgot that's nonsense 😆

if you missed it (that could happen) you won't be to fast to engage retro thrusters and fly softly straight backwards,

that works to and the releasing invisible poly will be hit then.

make shure you are straight in line, that will help to, imissed it sometimes to, but only when i came in a weird direction.

take your time, in reality docking maneuvres takes hours, we do it seconds or a half a minute.

ReplyQuote
Subzeroplainzero
(@subzeroplainzero)
Master Chief Registered

I remember reading somewhere that photo-fit images for the com link on stations are needed for this project. I have some ability with photo manipulation and might give it a shot. Does anybody know what exactly would be required? ie dimensions etc and would these faces be made up of various parts such as eyes, mouth, nose, or simply a selection of different faces with different hairstyles? ( I'm not sure how coherent any of this is, sorry!)

ReplyQuote
Shingen
(@shingen)
Master Chief Registered

Bugbear1973 wrote:

How does the autopilot manage to dock?

I tried to dock manually to a starbase on Proxima d, but every time I tried I just fell through the structure and proceeded to explode. The autopilot couldn't manage it either. It would just egress to an altitude of 3k, turn around and smash into the mountain-side. I guess those people aren't going to get that delivery.

I guess the collision detection still needs some work. 😀

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

collision detection has had some working and hopefully will work in alpha 8

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Subzeroplainzero, Fe2 had a character generator that randomly put faces together out of various parts. I kind of like the 3D talking heads that I mentioned in my Possible solution for "Video Link Down" thread, but anything that produces random heads will do.

ReplyQuote
Subzeroplainzero
(@subzeroplainzero)
Master Chief Registered

Marcel wrote:
Subzeroplainzero, Fe2 had a character generator that randomly put faces together out of various parts. Here's an example pic of my co-pilot from back then.

[attachment=0]Caroline Hooper.jpg[/attachment]

It worked well, but doesn't necessarily have to be the method that will be used in Pioneer. I kind of like the 3D talking heads that I mentioned in my Possible solution for "Video Link Down" thread, but anything that produces random heads will do.

Ok I'm going to go ahead and start experimenting with cutting some images together. It would be great if perhaps Tomm could give me a nod. It'd be rubbish if spent time doing it just to have it blown away by an awesome piece of procedurally generated face creation code that he's been working on 😉 😉 (infact, what am I talking about? that would be fantastic!)

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

actcually procedually generated face graphics could be an angle to work on

ReplyQuote
Subzeroplainzero
(@subzeroplainzero)
Master Chief Registered

ollobrain wrote:
actcually procedually generated face graphics could be an angle to work on

You fancy doing it? It's probably a piece o' cake!

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

bit of code here bit of code there

ReplyQuote
mathee
(@mathee)
Senior Chief Registered

ollobrain wrote:
bit of code here bit of code there

Feel free to start working on it dude. Let us now when you have some results to show

ReplyQuote
shenle
(@shenle)
Senior Chief Registered

The galaxy map in Pioneer is significantly different from Frontier. Many systems that I was used to (Facece, Hotice, Soholia, Riedquat, Formalhaut, Ross 154, Achenar etc) have simply disappeared, others have been moved to completely different locations (Delta Pavonis, van Maanen's, Eta Cassiopeea, Sirius etc.) and a few are in the same place, Alioth for instance.

Is there a specific reason for that? Such as, copyright issues etc? (one would think that Alioth would stand out like a sore thumb if that was the reason).

If that's not it, then why?

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Alioth is a real star. No copyright issues there. I believe that the altered locations of the stars are a result of the fact that the star maps are projected from different directions. I read somewhere that Frontier's map is looking up from below the plane of the ecliptic, while Pioneer's, I believe is projected in the standard way.

ReplyQuote
shenle
(@shenle)
Senior Chief Registered

You're right, I forgot about Alioth being real. 😳

But otherwise my other points stand - major systems from Frontier/FFE are just missing (I did a quick grep through the code)

Not even the original startup world from Elite, Lave, is there anymore.

(some data and analysis of the FE2 and FFE galaxy can be found at http://www.jongware.com/galaxy2.html )

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

pioneer is a open source project written from scratch so in no way is there copyright issues

they arent intending ar emake of ffe2 - afte ralpha 8 i believe the game is going to move well beyond what elite ever was

the appearence and the game map atm look the same but id like to see them improved as well

the galaxy is a new procedural generation ( and even the systems now ill chane in a few months time)

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

I'll just chime in here.

If Allioth is in the wrong place compared to the other stars then that was my fault as I added Allioth by looking at the data in FFE.

As for the other worlds, Lave, Phecda (also all real star names) ect well they have yet to be added into the custom starsystem section.

They are small additions which is probably why no-one has bothered to add them in.

I did once toy with adding in all local stars round Earth from the real starmap but the amount of correctional work to add them in was rediculous so I gave up on that idea. Your talking thousands of lines of extra code that once automatically generated must then be hand tweaked to work correctly.... bah 🙁

And then even once I had added close to a few hundred stars, many of them were duplicates with totally different names(Eg you would have Allioth, and also a star named FGX74 🙂 Made up name but you get the idea, so then you also need to take note of duplicates and remove them, which is even more work), so as you can see it would be a lot of work for hardly any thing extra at this stage of the game.

Here's a pic of what the map looked like with these extra load of stars I had added, bear in mind that I had not even added in half of the local stars within Earth's vicinity.

😆 Note how far from ecliptic plain those stars are.

There is actually a thread on stuff like this. Its the Chocolate Flavoured Galaxy thread, have a read through it if you have the time, and maybe even add to the suggestions on there..?

ReplyQuote
shenle
(@shenle)
Senior Chief Registered

s2odan wrote:

There is actually a thread on stuff like this. Its the Chocolate Flavoured Galaxy thread, have a read through it if you have the time, and maybe even add to the suggestions on there..?

Will do.

May I request that cemiess and its accompanying bug be reintroduced?

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

What was its accompanying bug?

ReplyQuote
shenle
(@shenle)
Senior Chief Registered

s2odan wrote:
What was its accompanying bug?

Negative prices at an illegal goods merchant for gems/precious metals. The key to quick riches.

http://www.sharoma.com/frontierverse/trading.htm

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

😆 Cool

ReplyQuote
shenle
(@shenle)
Senior Chief Registered

You can actually make lots of money from nothing without ever needing to leave the docking bay. When your cargo hold is full of stuff, just trade your ship off for another one at the local shipyard. They will dispose of the gems/metals and you can go on buying more negative price cargo. 🙂

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Hehe thats sneaky

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

New guy here! Just downloaded and built the code, with a view to perhaps doing some hacking. Trouble is, I can't stop spinning! From the moment the ship leaves Shanghai it spins, making it rather difficult to get away. This happens on manual control and set speed, and continues even after a jump and a full stop.

I thought this might be related to the joystick support (I don't have a stick, but do have an accelerometer that sometimes gets seen as one). I can't see an obvious way to disable joystick support outright though.

What say you?

Cheers 🙂

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 52