Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] New game mod: Pioneer Scout +

Page 26 / 28

impaktor
(@impaktor)
Pioneer Moderator

Lot of code was rewritten and improved in modules SAR and CargoRun. Many detected bugs were fixed.

It would be nice to see those fixes in pioneer. I might not speak Spanish, but if you need help with github / git / branches / submitting pull request, I'd be happy to help (maybe IRC or dev-forum is better suited for guidance regarding the inner workings of git).

I have wondered a bit how you develop Scout+. I think the way I would do it, is to have branches with the scout+ improvements/changes and new features and then one branch being pioneer-master, then one can easily merge in the scout+ specific branches into latest pioneer master at anytime.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  
Hi @impaktor 

Technically, Pioneer Scout is not a branch of Pioneer vanilla. In this moment is a totally physically separate parallel project. I am a fan of free software, but, also of "free walterar".     

You can migrate what you want from Pioneer Scout, to Pioneer vanilla. Count on me for everything you need. 

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

A nice place to visit. 

priceworld1.png

priceworld2.png

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Great picture walterar and Gernot's Constrictor looking cool as ever. He certainly made and modded some wonderful ships!

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Yeah. I miss him and hope he's OK.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

rating4.png

I am far from home, but plenty of fun here. Even missing 38 kills to reach Rating 5. If I have success, I return to begin work on the G29 version 

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Hope you are on holidays!!!!!!!    

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

I think it could reach the maximum rating playing with G28. Everything works as expected.

They are a good holiday. 

ReplyQuote
shamanorak
(@shamanorak)
Crewman Registered

Hi there all,

loving g28. but i have a question. I'm finding it difficult to keep track of the systems i have explored. I like it out there. would there be some way of marking the systems I have explored so I'm not trawling through them all looking for unexplored systems. I know it does tell you when they were explored but it could be kind of cool if they were colored in a way that makes it easier to keep track of the ones I've already been to. or a list or something like that.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

Hi @shamanorak Welcome! I have thought to do in the near future a ship log book.   

ReplyQuote
impaktor
(@impaktor)
Pioneer Moderator

@shamanorak if you hold down Shift in star map and scroll +700 ly, you get to truly unexplored systems, and they'll be flagged explored once you visit them.

There are some plans to remember market prices in all systems you've visited.

Maybe we shoul add a filter option in star map, "visited". Shouldn't be too difficult.

ReplyQuote
shamanorak
(@shamanorak)
Crewman Registered

Wow, you guys are on it. 

been playing pioneer for about 6 years now & watched it change. Great work folks.

A strange thing happened last night....I'm in (65,0,0)ish and any unexplored system I visit remains unexplored. have I missed something? Bug? Bad instalation?

or is my ship missing a vital piece of equipment?

I really like the responses you are giving impaktor and look forward to more news.

@walterar a log would be a great way of "keeping track" of where i've have or not visited.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

@shamanorak At the moment, this sensor is not included because it is not finished and causes problems, but it will be an important part in the future "logbook". 

ReplyQuote
Styggron
(@styggron)
Master Chief Registered

Thank you again Walterar. I just got 28f, will be playing it soon. Just amazing work. This is just the best !

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

level5.png

It has been a long journey. After more than ten years traveling the galaxy I returned to neighborhoods of the solar system.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

I see that you are a bloodthirsty man. Actually, that's not you, it's John Scout. 😉 Here's me.

[attachment=3493:Screenshot from 2016-09-05 1844.png]

I avoid combat but I started from the default Eagle and used your console.lua to recreate my character after updates. I earned enough to buy and equip my Ladybird, so now I'm retired and hanging out in my workshop at home.

I started a new game on Earth to test a Hometowns update and got Johanna Scout in her Eagle. After flying her around Earth and Mars and then to my home so I could save the position and generate me, I decided to keep her. I used the console to give her a successful mission and some money. She's a free agent. I follow her adventures. This game stimulates my imagination. The character generates a narrative and a sort of reality that speaks to me like a character that a writer creates speaks to them as they write.

So, I decided to try a start from Lave. That's harsh! I got John Scout in a Sidewinder with no weapons. He's doing OK.

I've been playing these two, and it makes me wonder. Are these people brother and sister or are they married? Now I have a narrative running through my head about two lovers, separated by many light years, trying to get back together. It would be cool to get them to the same spaceport. The one with the best ship that takes a crew of two would be the Commander. It would be really cool to hack the save game to give the spouse's name to the crew-member.

edit: Notice that in the screen shot the rotation dampers are set to off? For me they usually are off after restoring a saved game. Anyone else notice this behavior?

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  
Long ago I heard a conversation of a group of drivers who were drinking in the canteen of Eagle Nest. It seems that John and Johanna Scout are brothers, war orphans and separated at birth. Maybe John is looking for Johanna, and vice versa. They may not be really brothers.    If you have any other information say it here. 

In the Scout universe, the life of a pilot has little value, and the prize for belonging to an Elite is great. By now, John has reached level 5, that is considered only "competent". But the main goal is to find her sister, or girlfriend? 

The problem of "dampers rotation", have ever watched him but I could not "capture" is very random. Perhaps related to #3345  

ReplyQuote
Feathersworths
(@feathersworths)
Crewman Registered

I'm so sorry if this should be obvious, but I've spent hours trying to figure this out now and I can't find any helpful information regarding it.

First off: So to install this I just drop the zip in the Mods folder found in My Documents? That doesn't seem to work for me, though I can get the game to run if I unzip its contents (though the game crashes as soon as I land anywhere, no error message). Could anyone let me know what I'm doing wrong here? I keep reading contradictory information, like in the first post it tells you to not unzip the mod folder and to place it the mod directory, but in another post I get the impression that this is supposed to work as a standalone game. I'm thoroughly confused! 😛

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Scout+ has grow to become it's own game with a different exectuable, you need install it beside Pioneer and it stores it's save game and other data in a separate folder to Pioneer

ReplyQuote
Feathersworths
(@feathersworths)
Crewman Registered

Scout+ has grow to become it's own game with a different exectuable, you need install it beside Pioneer and it stores it's save game and other data in a separate folder to Pioneer

I see. Sadly I did attempt that last night with no success - like I said in my post I can get the game to run, but as soon as I land anywhere the game crashes. Sometimes before I even get to do anything, but most of the time I'm able to take off and go land at say, Shanghai, but during the landing process the game just shuts down. No error message either, all it says it that the program has stopped working and that's that. 🙁

Edit: I've done some experimenting and I'm fairly certain that the crash only happens with city details set to very high. Turning it down to high seems to have helped for now. Is this a known issue, or could it be something on my end? I'm running a (somewhat) high end machine, 970GTX and an i5 3570, so I doubt that it's as simple as the hardware not being able to run it effectively. It does not seem to have much of an impact at all on the FPS.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

@Feathersworths

Pioneer Scout Plus is a total mod. You need nothing more than, unzip the archive pioneersp-g28f-w32l32l64.7z and run pioneersp.exe (Windows 32 or 64) or pioneersp-l32 (Linux 32) or pioneersp-l64 (Linux 64) which is in inside the unzipped folder PioneerSP-G28F

edit: You NOT need install Pioneer (vanilla)

ReplyQuote
Feathersworths
(@feathersworths)
Crewman Registered

@Feathersworths

Pioneer Scout Plus is a total mod. You need nothing more than, unzip the archive pioneersp-g28f-w32l32l64.7z and run pioneersp.exe (Windows 32 or 64) or pioneersp-l32 (Linux 32) or pioneersp-l64 (Linux 64) which is in inside the unzipped folder PioneerSP-G28F

edit: You NOT need install Pioneer (vanilla)

Thanks for the confirmation on that! I set it up like that earlier but I'm still having issues with crashing. Like I said in my last post, running with the city detail settings on very high appears to cause crashes whenever I dock/land, it just says the program stopped working.

I can't say for absolute certain that it is the city detail setting that causes it on my end, but so far I have been unable to reproduce it on it set to high. Like I said earlier, my PC should be able to run this no problem. Not really a big deal though, I'm fine with it on high. I'm just asking in case this is a known issue, but if not I suppose it might be something on my end.

Either way, despite my problems I think Scout Plus is amazing! Thank you for your great work!

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

@Feathersworths

The next version of Scout Plus includes many graphical improvements of @fluffyfreak  and perhaps solve your problem.

Fps have improved incredibly. Wait a few days.    

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

@walterar, Now I have to get John back to Lave and Johanna back to Epsilon Eridani. I was afraid this would happen! They may never get together if you keep doing this!   

@Feathersworths, some useful info for others more knowledgeable than myself would be your operating system and the contents of the output files, stderr.txt and stdout.txt. They're either in your main pioneersp folder or in My Docs/Pioneersp/mods for Windows, ~/.pioneersp/mods for Linux. Sorry that I can't be more specific, but it appears that I don't have either at the moment.

Another thought, Pioneer doesn't install like a Windows program. It doesn't change the registry. You just put it some place and run it. I've heard that putting a program like Pioneer in the Program Files folder could cause problems because of how Windows treats files in there. Also, you have the latest drivers, right?

edit: Oops!  😳  They wouldn't be in the mods folders, but possibly the pioneersp folder above them.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I've heard that putting a program like Pioneer in the Program Files folder could cause problems because of how Windows treats files in there.

That used to be a problem for Oolite - possibly still is.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Page 26 / 28